• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Vaterra glamis uno thread

BORO-ROB

Hi, has anybody fitted any aftermarket or upgraded shocks to the Glamis Uno? I snapped a rear shock shaft last weekend and haven't ordered any parts yet. Just wondered if there's an upgrade path?

So i have had my eye on one of these for a while now, was looking at various places to get one from and found that the current US price for these is $250. About the best price i can find in the UK is

It's not fair to compare prices. There are are many factors that influence price and you need to take into account the local economy and cost of living etc. It does mean we can benefit from currency values. I bought a Stampede 4x4 from Germany for

I appreciate that there will always be big differences in prices between UK and US, but this model used to be allot closer to $400 in the US, and has recently dropped to $250 at alot of places. Even the horizon hobby site in the us show a 'New Low Price' of $250 down from $439 (http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/glamis-uno-single-seat-buggy-1-8-rtr-VTR04000). Just didnt want to order one over here, to find a big price drop in a week or two!

I haven't run mine in a while due to lack of time (and weather), but will be getting out oif the garage sometime. I,m looking at fitting an AXial SCX0 slipper so I can run a 32dp spur. Also should be fitting a Hobbywing SC8 esc to run 4s. 

As for shocks, I still  have  the stock ones on, but will look to get something else. I have a few of the Gmade shocks around , so might  try  them, but the rear ones will need extending somehow.

Hi guys,

I recently (and very happily) purchased a Glamis UNO, from a member on here, however I now find myself looking for some advice. What weight of shock oil would you guys recommend for the front and rear shocks? I'm mostly using the car on hard pack and tabletop jumps but the shocks both seem pretty eager to use their travel. I'm running the twin hole compression ring inside the shock and with several preload collars already installed...

Or.... Could someone recommend a new set of shocks? I've had a quick look at some Gmade XD piggyback units (I like the external adjustment to the compression and bottom out) but they don't seem to offer them in the correct eye to eye length. Anything else I should be looking for if I decide on the upgrade route?

Thanks for your time.

• 4 weeks later...

I cant even remember what weight oil I use.. Possibly about 30 weight front and rear.  As or spur gears stripping, I ran my Uno yesterday, first time for ages due to the crappy weather and stripped another spur.. I am definitely going to see if I can fit an Axial slipper so I can use 32p gears.

• 1 month later...
I have fitted an SCX10 slipper clutch to the Glamis input shaft now, so I can run 32dp spur gears. Basically all it needs is a 1.5mm hole, 25mm from the end of the shaft. The spurs are from Associated NTC3. 54 tooth is part no 2266. I also got 52, and 50 tooth spurs.

IMG_38991_zps8de2056e.jpg

IMG_39011_zpsd146b361.jpg

IMG_39021_zpsd0f17c2a.jpg

hey guys, thought i might actually put a post up ive been reading through this convo as i have got a glamis uno and have put a few new things in.

i bought the glamis uno, a month or two ago and it was going good broke a front suspension rode in the first week but had got one soon after.

i bought a 3s battery and switched the pinion to the recomended pinionand, the first run it chewed up my spur gear was waiting around for 3 weeks

trying to find one, adventually found some and bought two spares. while waiting for spur gears done a bit research and found a 4000kv motor that

would fit easily so i installed that and wow she goes hard, though the front pops up very easily so have put some weights in the front where i could

find room, going good untill front comes up and i lose control. broke a rear shock rode. may need some more weights. i will post some pictures when

it is up and running again

• 1 month later...

Just picked one of these up today and I'm going to be running it on 3s Iv tried setting up the esc as per manual but can't see any blinking lights,tried listening for the beeps but it just seems a bit hit and miss...hold for one second..beep then nothing then beep beep beep any one got any tips on this please.

The light can be seen. They are inside the unit, under the base of the casing!!. I know, what a daft idea. I couldn't hear the bleeps either, but if you undo the casing, and connect up (be very careful), you will see the lights flash when you switch on and press to change parametters. I found the same problem on another speed controller from another supplier, so it seems a generic set up

Got mine yesterday, stickered her up, soldered the plugs onto the 3s lipos, put the 20t pinion in and set the slipper, bed in the diff. 

Third run up the road and i rear ended my girlfriends car.... 

10457186_10152461072646413_4972562766237

Modelsport dont have the front shocks in stock either  :confused:

The shock shaft is pretty cheap VTR243011         I did the same on a football pitch.. Car was far away and misjudged it lol.

I might have a spare one if you cant get any.      .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Edited by M1tchy

So just stripped the spur gear now aswell. Cant find a metal for love nor money. Only option is to replace it with the stock plastic one and wait for it to strip again?

Edited by burgerboy78

I have converted mine to use an Axial SCx10 slipper. Had to machine some off the back of the slipper and drill a hole for the pin..That way I can use 32 pitch gears.

It seems to be heat from the motor pinion that melts the stock spur.. don't really know of a metal spur that will fit.

I think I have a couple of stock spurs if you want them.

IMG_39021_zpsd0f17c2a.jpg

Edited by M1tchy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, looks like a stone chip went in and damaged the ESC cooling fan on yesterdays Peel Park bash. Are these little fans an easy item to replace?

got any pictures on how you've done that? Looks like you've changed the output shaft from the gearbox.

I just used the stock shaft and drilled a hole to fit the Axial pin for the slipper. I have some more pics, so will post them soon. Only had a couple of runs and it seems to work fine except for the spur rubbing on the cover slightly.

Hi, looks like a stone chip went in and damaged the ESC cooling fan on yesterdays Peel Park bash. Are these little fans an easy item to replace?

The roof has to come off, and maybe the driver. The fan wires plug into a small 2pin plug, but you could always solder new wires onto the old ones I guess. I don't know what size the fan is offhand though.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the only photo I have of modifying the shaft to fit the Axial slipper.  I drilled a hole (1mm I think) 25mm  from the end of the shaft, which is the same distance as on the Axial shaft. I did use a small end mill bit to break through the outer hardened part of the shaft and also to stop the bit running off the shaft. I would drill the pin hole a bit closer to the end of the shaft if I did it again, probably about 22 or 23mm.

IMG_38991_zps8de2056e.jpg

Edited by M1tchy

• 4 months later...

So I've cooked the motor in this. I've put a 3500kv Radiant Reaktor motor in it I had laying around and the cogging on low power is ridiculous. What would be a decent ESC/motor combo to put in this. Would be run on 3s and still want it to be fast.

Hello guys! Sorry to pop in like this! I Just got my glamis uno two nights ago and had the first run today and It was a blast! But what I'm here for is to find out if there is anything I should know about the glamis such as weak parts or something like that? Many thanks!