• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stretch's Summit

stretch

Thought it was about time I posted up my summit.

It's the TQI model running double orange springs on the rear to help with squatting, 14v dewalt conversion on 4s soon to be 5s. True beadlock wheels, modified hex's and black hex nuts because i'm fussy and like everything to match. Next plan is an ESC change and single servo conversion then that will be it I recon.

Due to versatility It's fast becoming my favorite model, high speed for general bashing about then switch to low for crawling/trailing and locking diffs for the tough stuff.

3569.jpg

3568.jpg

3564.jpg

3565.jpg

3566.jpg

The only thing stopping me bashing my BL Summit right now is the wheels. So unbalanced it's unusable at speed. Mainly caused by wet foams that wont dry. Need to invest in proper beadlocks like you so I can dry the foams out properly.

Nice wheels and tyres stretch what are they,awaiting delivery of some desperado mashers for our second summit at the mo,

Any info as to where you got the dewalt motor,and fitment/pinion,

What esc is in it to run 4s and do you expect any drive train issues with so much power.

The dewalt motor can be had of e-bay or any decent powertool merchant (will try to find links in a bit).

The std esc (EVX-2) will hapilly run the Dewalt on 4s and there is some evidence that it can even do it on 5s as long as the 3s pack goes on the non BEC side.

The dewalt needs a 5mm pinion so the stock one will fit (needs a flat bit creating on the shaft with something like a dremel).

Oh and a couple of new holes on the oe motor mount.

Gearing wise 14/62 is a good starting point, but depends on what you want out of it. (I'm at 16/62 atm and will try taller for more speed)

The drivetrain seems to be happy with the dewalt as long as gear changes are done properly/carefully and same with diff locks (ie only on low speed).

The dewalt motor can be had of e-bay or any decent powertool merchant (will try to find links in a bit).

The std esc (EVX-2) will hapilly run the Dewalt on 4s and there is some evidence that it can even do it on 5s as long as the 3s pack goes on the non BEC side.

The dewalt needs a 5mm pinion so the stock one will fit (needs a flat bit creating on the shaft with something like a dremel).

Oh and a couple of new holes on the oe motor mount.

Gearing wise 14/62 is a good starting point, but depends on what you want out of it. (I'm at 16/62 atm and will try taller for more speed)

The drivetrain seems to be happy with the dewalt as long as gear changes are done properly/carefully and same with diff locks (ie only on low speed).

Cheers buddy, all evidence I saw said 2s only.

I have some 3 and 4 s battery's from my latest buys or I assume I could use a series connecter to make 2x2s into a 4s,

But witch do I connect them to I ain't got a scoo by witch is the bec side.

4s on the 14.4v dewalt motor is fine.

the evx2 has got 2 connectors as std (so it creates the series connection on it own), so need 2x2s to make a 4s. Do not use 4s packs, it will not be happy.

The bec side tends to be the one that has got the little red tag on it (if it still does) but need to check.

Connect 1 pack only, and try to switch on the esc. If it is the bec side you'll get some response, the non bec side won't.

4s on the 14.4v dewalt motor is fine.

the evx2 has got 2 connectors as std (so it creates the series connection on it own), so need 2x2s to make a 4s.

I have been using 2 x 2s,

So are you saying I have been running mine on 4s then by the statement above,as I assumed it is just running 2x2s

Do not use 4s packs, it will not be happy.

The bec side tends to be the one that has got the little red tag on it (if it still does) but need to check.

Connect 1 pack only, and try to switch on the esc. If it is the bec side you'll get some response, the non bec side won't.

Yes 2x2s on the summit is 4s, as they are connected in series. 1x2s + 1x3s = 5s

Ha ha I didn't join up the dots in the right order did I, dumb noob I am.

7.4 x 2 =14.4. 14.4 is 4s

When I think 4s I instantly think its going to be crazy, but as I found out last week putting a lipo in my carnage its not as good a benefit unless you have got the right motor to match it.

Another small step on the learning ladder.

Edited by Tewks crawling

What esc are you thinking?

It surprisingly similar spec to mine!!!

Going with the castle mamba monster 2 to keep everything waterproof.

Nice wheels and tyres stretch what are they,awaiting delivery of some desperado mashers for our second summit at the mo,

Any info as to where you got the dewalt motor,and fitment/pinion,

What esc is in it to run 4s and do you expect any drive train issues with so much power.

cheers mate, you can get the dewalt ready to go from kershawdesigns that's where I got mine from, already has the pinion removed and shaft flattened and ready to take connectors, for the few quid more it was well worth it than the agro associated with buying one from a dewalt spares shop and doing all the bits myself. It will fit in the stock motor mount but it needs two of the holes drilling out a bit, I can provide some pics etc if you need when the time comes. 

Worth gettin a "shroud" from Vladimir's mum in law on here . Just cut some holes in it to let the motor/esc breathe :) . ( the shrouds are really cheap)

Yeah gonna get one off him

Are you going brushless then?

no mate for 5s

How sure are you on that?

I'm only asking since I was going to try it at some point.

The latest evx2 with LVD won't handle 5s however the earlier version will if you put the 3s on the BEC side.

Hi great truck. Where did you get the double orange springs from?

Thanks Phil.

Thought it was about time I posted up my summit.

It's the TQI model running double orange springs on the rear to help with squatting, 14v dewalt conversion on 4s soon to be 5s. True beadlock wheels, modified hex's and black hex nuts because i'm fussy and like everything to match. Next plan is an ESC change and single servo conversion then that will be it I recon.

Due to versatility It's fast becoming my favorite model, high speed for general bashing about then switch to low for crawling/trailing and locking diffs for the tough stuff.

3569.jpg

3568.jpg

3564.jpg

3565.jpg

3566.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hmmm bit slack on updates so thought I would post up my changes/progress.

Got a dusty motors shroud for it.

3740.jpg

Fitted a Castle Mamba Monster 2

3766.jpg

3768.jpg

Fitted a dewalt sticker to the shell

4241.jpg

Today I thought I would fit my TQI sensors I bought ages ago. First off I fitted the docking station to the tx which was a case of removing a couple of screws plugging the docking station into the dedicated port then screwing the body back on, 5 minute job. For this I had begrudgingly purchased my first apple product namely and I pod, after getting it all up it did some docking station and rx firmware updates.

First I thought I would take the the voltage and temperature sensors.

4314.jpg

I purchased traxxas part number 6541

6541-252w.jpg

Chopped the traxxas connector off and made new series cable

4313.jpg

And plugged it it.

4315.jpg

The grey plug plugs into the top (V/T) port on the RX

4316.jpg

TQI app picked it up no problem

4317.jpg

Next was mounting the temperature sensor to the motor, on the wire there is a part that is heatshrinked this contains the actual sensor, this feets neatly into the holder

4318.jpg

It also comes with some thermal tape which goes over the top

4319.jpg

which then secures to the motor, I had to ditch the supplied cable tie as it was too small for the dewalt.

4320.jpg

Next up was the spur speed sensor, the little 'coin' goes in in the slot at the top of the spur attachment.

traxxas-telemetry-trigger-magnet-holders

Fitting it to the spur is as simple as removing the 3 cap head screws and placing it on, it will only go on one way

4321.jpg

Then use the 3 supplied counter sunk screws to fit

4322.jpg

Put it all back together and place the sensor end into the spur gear cover, there looks like there should be something to hold the sensor in as there is a screw hole next to it but I didn't get one, after looking at some other pics it seems just a screw is used. Plug the other end into the second port of the rx.

4323.jpg

The app/tx picked it all up no problem, you need to enter your gearing etc in the app, did a quick static test.

4326.jpg

Tidy things up

4325.jpg

Job done!

43 minutes ago, big gaz said:

Never knew that esc ran brushed motors......

might have to to rethink a dewalt motor for mine...

Yeah was one of the main reasons I bought it, you just leave out the centre wire and set the esc to Brushed mode. I did  consider brushless but as wasn't looking for speed and wanted it to still be waterproof and I went with the Dewalt and i'm very happy with it.

Edited by stretch

• 1 month later...

Today I added a SJCAM mount onto the tx.

4375.jpg

On the summit itself I previously I had it on a mount attached directly to the shell buy due to flex it made video very wobbly.

3361.jpg

So I made up a mount using plastic and some gorilla tape to go across the exo cage and attach via cable ties for easy removal.

4376.jpg

4377.jpg

• Like 1