• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DJI Phantom RTF

ibo

would say a good 8-12 gps sat locks.

nice open field buddy away from metal objects ( the mags in these very sensitive )

dont expect RTH to work right away , give rc groups a good read to see how others done it.

ALWAYS make sure you GET SAT LOCKS before flying so RTH knows where it is/was.

and bloody war paint that white thing lol !! your making the air section look clean

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Beautiful bud. Have fun :)

I've just got of the phone to buzz fly. Still not in stock but hopefully tomorrow. We'll see :(

Should have gone to specsavers sorry Heliguy, ,hope you get it soon though :thumbsup:

would say a good 8-12 gps sat locks.

nice open field buddy away from metal objects ( the mags in these very sensitive )

dont expect RTH to work right away , give rc groups a good read to see how others done it.

ALWAYS make sure you GET SAT LOCKS before flying so RTH knows where it is/was.

and bloody war paint that white thing lol !! your making the air section look clean

Just a tad nervy about first time after crashing loads well 4 to be exact,so dont you vanish of here for few weeks might need some sound advice from you..

advice

just enjoy it, go easy and low on throttle.

i give it about a month and you would have learnt enough to have her 

buzzing the sky and doing as told.

as for my build, its going good, just a battery/charger and my props to get.

going for some graupner E props i think, maybe a gemfan set am unsure.

did i mention am on holiday tomorrow 8 months in the amazon rainforest ( rofl )

Still waiting for the weather to pick up,tried today a tad to windy and then it rained,managed to set digital compass up though,pics were taken at quarter throttle hence the house brick but camera has frozen them...

004-1_zps05f95fc7.jpg

003-1_zpsb493d8b0.jpg

002_zpsdc134f33.jpg

001-1_zpsa1cf702c.jpg

Edited by ibo

:36_11_6[1]:

rofl i love the way you duct taped the BRICK lol. 

duct tape and rc's yep

duct tape and kidnappers, yep

duct tape and bricks hmmmmm, ninja window smasher

:36_11_6[1]:

Comes in handy more so if you want a bit of pressure on things without scratching the surface..

aye true have heard of strapping down quads, tied down or bungied,

but never a duct taped brick  , sorry i just had to giggle like a kid.

the mag can become a pain in arse sometimes, i know the multiwii guys turn it off.

mind you i love the intelligent flight mode ( carefree ).

yep weather needs to turn again, is windy here to

Mines on its way. Prob have it Monday :) but weather is pants here all next week so probably won't have her out till next weekend.

:thumbsup:

Wanted to ask if anyone knows how the return home mode works as in does it fly to the spot were it left by flyin at the same fight till it gets to the spot or diagonal? As in sideways a bit then drop till it gets to the ground?

Wanted to ask if anyone knows how the return home mode works as in does it fly to the spot were it left by flyin at the same fight till it gets to the spot or diagonal? As in sideways a bit then drop till it gets to the ground?

Drops to the ground?  :)  Carefully lands is I hope a bit more like it!  ;)

I know its still early but has anyone got some time to post up some of their impressions? Payday is coming up fast so I will also be biting the bullet. :)

so there you are, phramptom on ground handset in hand. 

theres a couple things your needing to do, enable GPS ( the Led lights will flash)

once gps has enabled you leave quad powered up, 

A: this warms up your IMU ( flight controller in cold weathers)

B: this allows the GPS module to search and lock GPS sats. you need a minimum 6 sats locked to have good

location status, the DJI will normally lock upto 12 sats fixes. the more stats the DJI can see the more better the GPS works.

the next section is what happens when/if tx signal is lost and/or gps RTH is enabled via TX switch.

you DJI quad is a clever piece of kit, when you enable gps mode and let it lock down sats

it remembers where it was first switched on (gps).

If your TX runs down on power or its signal is lost the DJI IMU sees this and enables

safety code, it tells quad to go to a 60 foot altitude ( away from human contact), even if the quad is 1ft of ground, it will still go to 60ft. 

it will then start to use the GPS fix and the location stored in memory to return quad home. it will fly itself controlling throttle, rudder, aerilons, elevator ( yaw, pitch, roll, power)

Quad will now start to make its way back to the location marker it set. and meanwhile will stay at 60ft in altitude.

then when it arrives at that location marker the quad engages auto land code, it will wait 30s to find TX or receive commands if not.

your DJI quad starts its decent slowly, when it touches down, quad will disarm motors and power down.

if quad sees a TX/RX link again it will cross over TX control to user imputs.

GPS is also used for flight. when not in gps mode if i fly the dji forwards then let go of stick 

quad will keep momentum and drift forwards, with gps mode, quad sees this drift and counters it.

when stick is released quad auto pitches to stop the current drift.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Cheers tamiya :-)

I understand what you wrote but what I mean is.......

Say it's 200ft away and 200ft up will it travel the 200ft back staying at 200ft up then drop or does it drop to 60ft and then travel back home?

What it is there lots and lots of trees round were I live and there REAL! Tall prob some of tallest I have seen my self and there loads of space/openings between so didnt want to fly it say 100ft above trees something happen to Tx ( stolen by giant panda ) and think its ok it will fly back to find it dropped to 60ft and flys into the tree on its way back and gets stuck ( then giant panda has Tx and the phantom ) :-/

What was hoping is it would fly the same altitude back to the lift of position and then descend :-)

Does it follow the route it previously took on the outbound leg to return to its first GPS position, or does it use the most direct 'crow flies' route to make its way 'home'?

That's what I would like to know too :-)

Drops to the ground?  :)  Carefully lands is I hope a bit more like it!  ;)

You know what I mean DESCEND!!!!! Smart arse

ok guys, 

if i set the naza up, i can nodoubt define the max/min hight the quad will return home to.

its set to what i knw as 60ft, but am sure you could adjust that hight setting somewhere.

so yes in out of box , its decent will be  140 feet, this brings it to the 60ft auto return hight.

the return home  depends on the code used. i would say it will be as crow flys aka direct route.

it will use throttle yaw and roll, compass and baro to keep quad heading in that direction at that defined hight.

alot depends on the resolution of the gps etc etc, but quad will try its best to land where it first took off from.

and will fly by the crow to get there.  RTH is one of the safety systems built into quads , it just brings it back home.

i am not sure about the waypoint mapping on the naza, thats something you guys will need to explore. via the GUI

and settings, 

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

should have my FrankenDji flight ready this week.

just sorting out the final bits and bobs ( research) on my gps module , coding etc etc.

and sourcing the module itself ( none naza cheapy)

btw guys, you phantoms are 330mm quads, same size as my DJI frame

I found the props a bit tight when fitting so have treated myself to these and do they do the job by heck they do these in my book are  the Bs and Es for the hobbyist.

Waiting on some Graupner props to arrive less flex in them than the stock ones.

003-1_zps40eff7fe.jpg

Werever the Phamton takes off from in GPS mode thats the spot it returns too,loss of signal or out of range it will return 99.9% of the time..

Edited by ibo

Mines arrived and nearly set up :) just need to calibrate the compass then I'm good to go, weathers looking dodgy so maybe maiden voyage won't be anytime soon.

:thumbsup: Great..