• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project: Chaser

-BEZ-

No problem with the questions, I will do my best to answer them all for you :)

Whats the limit for the esc and motor?

The ESC has a 400A constant and a 500A burst rating. The motor will pull between 270A and 350A under full load.

Going by the above figures I assume the motor is 2240kv?

I believe the motor works out at a 2466kv rating

What lipos will you be using to hopefully hit your 150mph goal?

I'm just using some old nanotech 5000mAh 65-130c, Once I manage to sell some stuff I will buy something a bit more beefy :)

To answer Oho's question: That collection "beer cans" is my cap bank. The purpose of which is to reduce as much as possible the ripple current to the ESC. When using long wires >15cm its really important to make sure you are feeding a steady flow of power to the controller to make sure it doesn't effectively trip over its self.

Some good progress made today :)

Jobs completed:

- Fit and tune axle and wheels front and rear

- Test fit body

20140812_174040_zps2e119038.jpg

20140812_203039_zpse3268eb7.jpg

20140812_202615_zps9622535f.jpg

It didn't help that I had misplaced a pack of shims that took over 2 hours to find lol ....... I'm also having OCD issues with front half of the rear of the car (if that makes sense) as I should have made it a lot sturdier. What I have will do, but I will try and redesign and print the parts again before she need to run :)

• Like 2

No problem with the questions, I will do my best to answer them all for you :)

Whats the limit for the esc and motor?

The ESC has a 400A constant and a 500A burst rating. The motor will pull between 270A and 350A under full load.

Going by the above figures I assume the motor is 2240kv?

I believe the motor works out at a 2466kv rating

What lipos will you be using to hopefully hit your 150mph goal?

I'm just using some old nanotech 5000mAh 65-130c, Once I manage to sell some stuff I will buy something a bit more beefy :)

Thanks once again, what voltage will you be running it on?

whats in the tv to the left?

Desktop 3D printer.

Thanks.

How's the progress now that we are creeping up closely to the event?

Thanks.

Not too bad, I Had a busy day yesterday tweeking parts, soldering etc. I had it all connected up and programmed the MGM yesterday so I can now say;

ITS ALIVE muhahahahahahaha :lol:

Just a new bits to print and she is ready for some runs :)

• Like 1

Just got back from the event, and the car performed very well considering it was assembled in a week and it was an entirely untested platform.

20140815_180005_zpsf5d4c122.jpg

20140815_175847_zpse1d49ed7.jpg

So the end result from this outing was 133Mph on 80% throttle, which was enough (by 3mph) to win the UK ROSSA championship for 2014 :) I picked up a interesting large but very brief spike which was causing the ESC to run in reduced power mode (I think). We thought It might have been the lipos, so we connected 2 lots of 8s in parallel ........ it was defiantly a crazy sight:

20140817_150125_zps837a479b.jpg

I'm hoping I can tune the glitches out and hopefully attempt a 150mph in October (weather gods permitting).

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
So its a new year and time for a update on the project.

The last outing at the end of last year was bad for speed but good for fault finding.

I have discovered that the rear wheels are flexing to the point of looking like jelly at 75% throttle which goes a far way to explain some of the issues I have been suffereing recently.  Also a uber rare front wheel fell off and was never found and a pot hole pretty much smashed the body to peices.

So I have come up with a few solutions:

Front wheels have been replaced with modified front GT10 foams cut down to about 10mm
Rear wheels are being re designed and Im going to test a printed wheel (using colorfabbs carbon laced filament)
Body has been reprinted and is nice and shiney

I have some nice fresh pics so I will share some of those too:

PoGRRlK.jpg

DMxkTBF.jpg

zQzOaVy.jpg

1PWSUS5.jpg

I also have decided I need to some how fit some form of mechanical brake to the rear axle, Im still trying to design something clever so more to come on that in the future :)

All going well I should be looking to run again at the end of May at RAF Cosford, as shakespear raceway just doesnt seem to have enough space for what I need. But I dont think It will be any serious speeds as I need to test the new wheel designs out and see how they hold up, but you never know I might have a brave/mad moment lol
  • Like 1

Good idea, however it flexes all the way to the hub, its the material of the wheel that's the issue unfortunately.

The simple approach is printing some wheels which are of a ridged design, however I'm not sure how well a printed part will stand up to the abuse, one way to find out.   The more complex approach is to design a split rim, Alloy rim bolted to a 3mm prepreg carbon disk. This is likely to be the end result but its not going to be cheap lol