• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project: Chaser

-BEZ-

lol I do have a sponsor but all the chassis design is my own work, however without companies like Fibrelyte and RW racing and people like candyman to help with machining to bring my designs and specs to life the project would be nearly as far along as it is now :good:

record wise, all i can do at the moment is try and catch up with fastest guys and then I have to tackle the same hurdles they are facing with their own projects. One big advantage the Americans have over us in the UK is the quality of the surface they run on, its far better than the surface we have available

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to drop the upmost respect to you for this. I'm actually obsessed with anything bespoke and if I had the money would be into all sorts of projects like this. Looks like you have all the help you need but I work in Afghanistan and have a workshop/machine shop so anything you require turning etc I'd be more than happy to help!

Stew

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one bez.

I hope you can beat the usa guys that'd be amazing plus make msuk the fastest forum online. Or is it already as far as uk (Europe? ) goes that is cool. I really hope you break the records mate brittan hasnt got many records left except our invaded 90% of the world at one point or another.

Im watching the

Thanks for the comments guys :good:

The plan in 2014 is to exceed 150Mph which will earn me another cap lol, There are 4 levels to acheive currently

• 100 Mph, Done
  • 200 Kph, Done
  • 150 Mph
  • 200 Mph

As of yet no one has been able to break the 200 Mph mark, with the best out there hitting an invisible wall at approx 170Mph. 

I have some designs i'm working on atm for sigh speed rear wheels (thankfully the fronts are rated for 200+mph, so that's one less thing to deal with). All going well the modification will have been done for the ROSSA practice event some time around April 2014 :)

As things progress I will keep this thread up to date :)

Its a mixture of everything power, aerodynamics, material strength and luck

When you look at people like Nic Case who have access to lots of the high end tech and materials and plenty of funds etc and they're struggling you know its not going to be an easy road to follow. But lets face it if it was easy it would be boring. Personally I really enjoy overcoming each challenge as I get there. The chassis has come on along way and running straight and true so that important to me. IF I hadn't had a rotor failure at this years event I'm positive that the car would have done 150 Mph, how easy it is to go faster than that will be the true challenge :)

• Like 1

But aren't people like Nic Case and the close runners to him using a more "model" car chassis, the videos I've seen, nobody reaching the really high speeds have been using dragsters, which in my head seems a bit daft, you've think they will be able to achieve the highest speeds.

Thats not the case anymore. Anyone running over 160Mph are running one off custom chassis. Nic is running his own design currently, Tim Smith is running his own design of a dragster and Garry O'connor is running a really cool streamliner of his own design. I think you can only push a production design upto about 130Mph without having to make some serious modifications.

Also a point to make is the GPS speed readings are utter bs, I wouldn't trust any speed unless its gone through a laser trap and been properly measured. 

• Like 1

Ahh I see, I know a year or so ago, most where just running fairly "run of the mill" chassis set-ups with ridiculous motors/esc/lipos and custom body designs.

I guess when you hit a certain wall, it needs to take on a whole new level of custom and aerodynamic.

Do you think your chassis is capable of 160-170?

As far as I'm aware the approximate max rpms for inrunners are:

• 84k for 540 motors
  • 60k for 15/17 series motors 
  • 30k for 20 series motors

It all comes down to the rotor and magnet size the bigger they are the less rpm they can handle as the centrifugal forces take effect. 

I know castle creations claim a max rpm of 100k, but i doubt this in the case in reality especially when they put a 2/3 cell limit on them.  However I will be testing a couple of 1410 neucastle 3800KV motors in chaser on 6s and 8s ...... so we shall see what happens :good:

• 4 weeks later...

hi i love your car how long ago did you get the record? also my tc4 speed car its got a 7700kv 4 pole and im going to run 4s in my mamba max pro but u said a few comments ago that castle limit them will his affect me and what could i do? thanks

Got the speed in August :) shame I had motor issues as it would have gone a lot faster too lol

If you work on the assumption that under load a cell performs at 3.75V on 4s thats 15V. 

15 Volts on a 7700Kv motor will give you a theoretical 115'500 RPM. I see 3 problems in your situation with that:

1- The "limit" is 100'000 RPM on a castle motor ........ I honestly find that hard to believe considering its a mass produced chinese made motor. Especially when you consider I had a hand built lehner reinforced for high rpm fail at approx 85'000 rpm.

2- Even If It could get upto 100'000RPM asking another 15% on top of that is a BIG ASK.

3- I believe the ESC you are using will die trying to power such a high KV motor on a high cell count. The MMP is only a 100A ESC at the end of the day. I think If you are wanting to push a motor that hard you will need something along the lines of a castle XL2 at the least.

I personally think the max that motor will take is about 3s giving you approx 86'600 RPM

thanks mate ill run on 3 s then and see how she goes but there's not a 3s class on the rossa site so what happens with the results if i go to a meeting