• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

Body mounted though in 2 minds as to the alignment with the wheels. Did rear holes and got wheels nicely in centre of arch but front then possibly a little off. Checking the CEN model the shell gets really close to the rear wheel so have avoided that at least. 

IMG_6484.thumb.jpeg.1a36918b91d46e5cf35f6bde5c1da86f.jpeg
IMG_6483.thumb.jpeg.97c1a8bc868bbec079934a1adb194231.jpeg

then trying mounts about 5mm forwards, which could achieve with spacers if really needed -

IMG_6481.thumb.jpeg.f8e376b7504d3d64e733191e98fc75d8.jpegIMG_6480.thumb.jpeg.86db737e28518a6e9a7da8ab7b5e3aaa.jpeg

not sure what thoughts people have?

• Like 2

Short update - fitted Bullet axles and 9mm spacers to add a bit of width to the track in line with info on the CEN model. Need some lower profile nuts really so the nylocs engage bit more. 

Started the fun part with graphics now, just on ancillary parts so far and for some generic ebay wheels with rally tyres as the wheels in earlier photos have tarmac tyres on them

IMG_6513.thumb.jpeg.a3dd1b086334cb44d715c4b677c03aac.jpegIMG_6512.thumb.jpeg.418778569dd4648c2752ac7161226936.jpeg

Can see the graphics being a long fiddly job 😕

• Like 3

After picking up my new WR8 a few months back, I have finally managed to read through this entire thread! 😅

What standoffs for the Proline Power Stroke shocks are people using these days? The eBay link to the spacers people were using early in this thread has understandably now expired! 

23 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

looks really good all decalled up :good:

Was surprised myself just how good it looks - got info on the track width of the CEN chassis off youtube and another guy has done similar to fit to his WR8. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/11/2023 at 18:57, troy45 said:

Short update - fitted Bullet axles and 9mm spacers to add a bit of width to the track in line with info on the CEN model. Need some lower profile nuts really so the nylocs engage bit more. 

I just picked up the CEN shell and was surprised to see your post regarding the same project. Your WR8 looks awesome man! Do you have any pics of the axle mod? Possibly a link to the parts you used? Where you able to locate lower profile nylock nuts that worked? Any tips or stuff to look out for? I think I am going to use magnets to mount the body to keep from putting more holes in the body. Thank for posting this. It got me super motivated to get this shell mounted.

Edited by bdredmon
spelling
  • Like 1

Glad to help if I can

The Bullet axles are HPI part number 101228, managed to get them online easily enough. Then used 9mm hexes but with the HPI axle pins either my original WR8 parts or the pins from the updated HPI hexes, I can’t remember which. 

The axles were a straight swap, just had to drill the hexes slightly so they fitted flush over the axles. Got a small amount of play in the bevel washers that sit behind the hex pins but not sure if it’s anything to worry about. 

Not found any low profile wheel nuts yet, did see some on a drone site but they were out of stock https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/lumenier-m4-black-aluminum-low-profile-lock-nut-set-of-4-cw

Could be more options out there just not been looking much lately. 

That covers most things I came across I think. Got some generic wheels for it off eBay which had the multi spoke design but with gravel tread tyres, you’ll see them on Amazon etc available in several colours. 

• Like 1

Only other thing I’ve thought of is maybe adding some more foam to the WR8 foam bumpers to save the shell flexing too much if you bump anything 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, troy45 said:

Only other thing I’ve thought of is maybe adding some more foam to the WR8 foam bumpers to save the shell flexing too much if you bump anything 

Thank you! Appreciate all the info.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 13:28, troy45 said:

Was surprised myself just how good it looks - got info on the track width of the CEN chassis off youtube and another guy has done similar to fit to his WR8. 

Hey Troy, just got my Puma shell, I finished drilling holes for the body and got it fit nicely, I wanted to know how you put your decals on. Was it okay to use water with these decals or did you put them on dry? Any other tips for the decals would be appreciated!

Hi I put my decals on dry, not had much experience using water though it may well help as some of them were very tricky to get right. 

I found it helpful to dig out some of the promotional photos of the bodyshell from various websites to understand exactly where each decal needed to go. Some careful thought too for where to start each decal plus how to do those where you overlap such as the big red bull logos. Headlights and tail lights were tricky too as the decals have lots of splits in them to line up as you form round various curved surfaces. Plus one or 2 decals look similar like the Ecoboost logos

Example here to get some decent photos

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/cen-racing-2023-m-sport-ford-puma-rally1-1-8-rtr-brushless-cen8999-119926

• Like 1

For intricate decals its prob better to use water/washing up liquid mix so you can slide decals into position 

Then when in place use tissue or kitchen roll to dab them dry

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys know which is the best aluminum upgrades brand to buy from? I made the mistake of ordering “new enron” parts from aliexpress and didn’t like how much play they had in the center hubs and knuckles. I’m looking at either Jazrider, GPM/asiatees, or integy, what are you guys running?

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2024 at 03:50, kevjumbo said:

Do you guys know which is the best aluminum upgrades brand to buy from? I made the mistake of ordering “new enron” parts from aliexpress and didn’t like how much play they had in the center hubs and knuckles. I’m looking at either Jazrider, GPM/asiatees, or integy, what are you guys running?

I have all the HPI aluminium upgrades and a couple of Jazrider parts that HPI don’t make. In terms of quality, HPI is the clear winner - but with the cost difference, that’s to be expected.. 

Reading through this thread Jazrider was recommended a lot, and the general consensus was to stay away from Integy. 

• 2 months later...
On 09/02/2019 at 00:41, evillive1 said:

HPI WR8 2 speed.

Hey. Thought I’d share my latest mod to my wr8.
I love this car! I’ve had almost all of HPI’s nitros over the years but this one is my personal favourite.

I’ve had it around 6months now and I kept thinking, why didn’t they make it with a 2 speed ?
So I’ve converted a HPI RS4 3 2speed transmission to fit into my original WR8 centre diff mounts.

So if anyone is curious like I was. Yes it is absolutely possible to fit a 2 speed in your WR8. But it is not a 5 minute job. I had to heavily modify the diff shaft from the RS4 to fit the gap between the WR8’s original centre drive shafts.
Plus almost every job requires modding to fit the wr8s set up.

I’m taking it out to see if it works but it’s all free and lined up lovely for now. 25168464d7e7574262df07e73197a19d.jpg31fd12f815488b395945337fc51524c5.jpg

d6a2ff5b48b2e9ee43da676bace2fdc2.jpg

db87d26bfc8a86d0b7bb00f8a7211d31.jpg

58ea6b6f2e0740656ad4a1a44f2a43af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to do this, can you provide some more info on the process of doing this? What parts are needed and so on?