• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

Mike, why not build a stocker or roller with your spares to sell and keep your "Gozzz edition" WR8?

That would require me to buy more parts for it, not really something I want to do at the moment with the GT8 project going on.

My bad, I thought you had two running chassis.

It's close, I would probably need another screw kit, some steering hardware and electronics. 

I've had a few trade offers come in on Rctech so far so people are seeing it and interested at the least.

Just wanted to let you guys know I've begun the WR8 build. The process is as awesome as I remember it ;-)

The Diffs are built- all new front, rear, and mostly new center (I reused the diff case!).

They sure look beautiful before they get dirty don't they?

trNhWSal.jpg

Also got the jazz rider knuckles on and the integy CVDs. The front and rear suspension are coming together!

lAvQ3Bfl.jpg

62zkd0sl.jpg

5w41H6Ll.jpg

That's it for now... I'm sleepy ttyl!

Wait, I thought you were getting rid of your WR8. Did you change your mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you're right I'm still getting rid of it. I just need to building so I can sell it as a chassis ready to run.

Building it is half the fun I suppose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've been out of action on here and with the WR8 for what must be a year now! No time has just had me looking at the WR8 on the shelf but I finally recharged the batteries last night.

Have I missed much? Are there any neat tips and tricks I should be aware of? Cheap mods? I've had a look at around the last 30 pages of this thread.

I also saw these cheap bodies and wheels on eBay, has anyone had any experience with them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPI-KEN-BLOCK-WR8-FLUX-RALLY-FIESTA-109314-SUBARU-WRX-ISACHSEN-BODY-113240-/351418926333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51d23344fd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PCS-HPI-WR8-2-2-57mm-TARMAC-WHEEL-WHITE-3-14-80mm-RALLY-OFF-ROAD-TIRE-/231334810240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35dca11280

A couple of us have reviewed those tires. Not bad for the money. Pretty good in snow, lasted nicely in cold weather. Not as sticky as the hpi rally tires, but they are low profile which is not a bad thing. The wheels are softer plastic, but OK. Decent bang for the buck, definitely worth trying as you can get a full set (wheels and tires) for the price of a pair of HPIs. ;)

Got a problem with rear diff, which I rebuilt last summer with 7k.

After a run in a local gravel pit today the rear diff felt terrible- lumpy/gritty/partially locking etc. It felt like either grit or a tooth was rolling around in there! :(

However, after stripping and cleaning, apart from the oil being dark grey, the gears look fine. Shims have seen better days, with whitness marks and some distortion, but nothing excessive. Uprated bearings all ok. Oil level was low ~50%, even though there's been no obvious leaking.

On reflection, I've noticed a 'different' noises from drivetrain the last few times I've run on tarmac, so possibly been on its way before today's grave run.

I'll rebuild with new shims anyhow, but what's puzzling me is, with no obvious I internal debris /damage, what was causing the rough/grittyness and locking!?

Had great fun in gravel pit btw :D

Possibly, but on closer inspection one of the shims, behing crown gears, was well worn/deformed.

Put spare diff in for time being whilst awaiting replacement.

Typically, took chassis outside to check it out and clipped kerb breaking steering knuckle!! Arrgh!

Excuse to get some alloy ones :D

I was looking at the Integy suspension kit.

I've seen some people have done it. Thoughts?

I have a habit of breaking them kind of parts, so could be a worthwhile upgrade but also noticed someone saying it'll only put strain on other parts.

Imo, it depends on what you upgrade.

Things like hub carriers & steering knuckles are worth doing, but arms are not.

Usually plastic arm will take a decent knock (esp stubby arms on WR8) and spring back into place, absorbing some of the impact. Alloy will, if the hits hard enough or alloy soft, just bend and stay bent! Also, as you mention, there's the possibility of transferring the stresses to something else :(

Also plastic arms are relatively cheap. They are more prone to breakage in extremely cold weather- something we need not worry about at the moment- TOO HOT!!!!!

:D

+1 on the hubs and knuckles. Rear in particular for the WR8. The HPI alloy has been good to me, pricey but a good value. Can't speak for the Integy stuff.

+100 on the arms! Stick to stock, especially off road. Doubt alloy arms would last an hour in the rough stuff. Gonna get tweaked fast. Save your money for tires...

• Like 1

Yeah I did like the Jazzrider parts, the fit and finish on them were great. I never ran them but the assembly went nice and smooth and they came with hardware and or bearings (front knuckles came with hardware and the rear uprights came with bearings.). I'd recommend them.

Yeah I did like the Jazzrider parts, the fit and finish on them were great. I never ran them but the assembly went nice and smooth and they came with hardware and or bearings (front knuckles came with hardware and the rear uprights came with bearings.). I'd recommend them.

It's a shame there's a lack of colour options.

The GPM ones look good for selection.

Jazrider front knuckles (gun metal) arrived within 4 day's !! Unbelievable service/cost.

They look and feel very nicely made, fitted perfectly too- just remember to use some thread lock, as you're screwing metal to metal. Also, as with all alloy parts, don't over tighten- a good pinch up and let the thread lock do the rest ;)

Both the GPM & Jazrider gear seems v good imo.

Took the opportunity to finally fit the GPM CV's I had in to the front. Again fit/finish v nice.

Time will tell how all this stands up.