• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

Oh yeah, modelsport will do it but the shipping is astronomical. I can get it directly from them if I wanted. lol

I shouldn't have to though and that's the thing. Hobbico is HPI's US distributer so they are the ones getting these parts on the shelves here in the states. I want to be able to hit up Tower Hobbies and simply order the part but it isn't that simple so it seems. They are slow as heck getting anything new for the WR8 and I was hoping some community will (or want) would get them moving ;-) I also hit up their facebook page but those usually get buried or ignored.

Oh yeah, modelsport will do it but the shipping is astronomical.

LOL!

IMO, $18 USD to ship an 18"x12"x7" box internationally from Europe is hardly "astronomical" for many of us. Amain wants $17.50 USD to ship a clear AD body to Canada and that's with the super saver discount. Team Bluegroove (ebay) wants $32 USD (!!!) to ship me a clear 300mm body -and that's within Canada. Man, you guys in the States are "shipping spoiled" with those super low USPS rates! ;)

I think the big increase is in the actual price of the body. A clear AD body from Amain is $36.99 USD, the Subie body from WS is

Ah alright. That would be great if they are listed the same. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

The chop shops were a great discovery for me too. Especially when I was going through drive cups every few weeks! I probably would have sold the chassis if i hadn't found them.

FYI don't be paying $17.99 for the diffs! You need to shop for the non flux models or the others that are interchangeable (Bullet Flux, 3.0, WR8 Flux, 3.0 etc). There was a point over the holidays where the Bullet ST 3.0 diffs were $9.99! They are exactly the same as the WR8 diffs, so I picked up a few. They also change their parts prices around all the time depending on what people are buying. For instance right now the Diffs for the flux model are $11.49! Always check out the other interchangeable models when you are on there, you are bound to be surprised!

Received my first set of these today. Been waiting a long time for CVDs for the WR8.

http://www.asiatees.com/display?HPI-WR8-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=HPI&model=WR8&id=101772&pid=1

They look and feel nice and beefy.

The shafts are much thicker than the stock dogs (don't have a calliper with me, guessing at least 4mm, maybe 4.5mm).

Only had time to install one rear CVD. Perfect fit. No binding at all throughout the whole range of motion of the arm. Might install the second CVD up front later tonight. Just to test for fit. I'm expecting a second pair in the next few days, so I will get all four of them up and running soon, give them a good workout and let you guys know what I think.

BTW, I must say the installed CVD just looks right. The thicker shaft seems more scale next to my 3.5mm turnbuckles. The opposite arms stock dog bone looks "off" to me now (after 15 mins LOL!) spindly and dinky by comparison.

Liking what I see so far. :)

Edited by Hotshot888

Compared the GPMs to your pics of the Integy CVS. Not the same manufacturer, IMO.

The GPM shafts are different, they are built out a bit (thickened) near the axle housing.

The axle housing is also a slightly different shape and the pin retainer is a 3 coil that fills the channel completely (it does not enter the CVD like the Integys do).

Obviously, the pin on the diff cup end is the same thickness as stock, but the CVD pin itself is definitely a bit thinner than the stock dogbone pins. :(

Hopefully a non issue. Time will tell.

Will try to find a few minutes to install a front CVD tonight.

Edited by Hotshot888

hello just need some advise

,does anyone know what size turnbuckle spanner I need for integy turnbuckle?

I don't know what im doing wrong but I cant seem to get wheel spacer on since I put integy suspension kit & gearbox on?
any advice?the front is fine its just the rear
Edited by rc1987

As mike says, looks like rear hub carrier/up-right is too wide, but that could just be angle of photo?!

If bearings are seated fully into carrier and the stub axle pushed all the way into bearings then check dimensions of upgraded/alloy one against OE plastic- if you still have them. Sometimes a burr formes around the pin hole on the axle, which may be stopping it fully going through outer bearing? Nothing a brief touch with a fine (wifes nail file lol) file won't sort..;)

Final thought, you're using same original size bearings?

Let us know theft outcome- its intriguing the know what's up! :D

Edited to add: the camber (top) link should have no effect on the stub axle, however undo the link at hub end and let the whole hub carrier/upright pivot out on bottom link. Provided you're not running CVD's, the dogbone will fall out. With the axle drive cup exposed remove axle and bearings and check the bearings go fully onto shaft without binding. They should go on all the way to drive cup iirc. If not there's you're problem- refer to nail file..:P

Edited by J.A.Son

Looks about right, not 100%- a closer pic would help..:P

Is it me or does that bearing look the wrong size- a little wide? I take it they're the original bearings so they should be correct.

Have you tried fitting axle and bearings back into OE plastic upright for comparison?

Hotsho888

"Team Bluegroove (ebay) wants $32 USD (!!!) to ship me a clear 300mm body -and that's within Canada."

TBG only charges $16 I think for shipping within Canada and $8 for additional. They will adjust the shipping rate when they send you an invoice. I bought the Subaru, Lancer, and two upper and lower chassis covers. Good product. MCI racing does the decals for TBG. Only decals not yet available are for the interior chassis cover.

I am in AB where are you located in Canada?

Hey Bridge, I'm here in beautiful coastal Southwest NB! :)

You may be right about the adjusted shipping prices, but when I look at the listing on ebay, they are asking $32 USD (Ouch!), +$8 for each additional body.

Additionally, I ordered the WR8 over and under trays from TBG ages ago (which are listed at $15 USD shipping individually) and paid the listed shipping rate of $23 USD ($15 + $8 for combined shipping of the two items). I did not receive an adjustment other than the standard combined shipping price.

So, not sure what to think, maybe TBG thinks AB is in the States... ;)

BTW, the TBG over/under trays are a solid product. Highly recommended. If you want the absolute best seal for your WR8, the TBG trays are the way to go.

I did do one small mod, I added a small "snow shield" to front of the undertray. Now it's the cats meow. ;)

It extends out around the steering crank/link and cups it, preventing snow/ice from getting in (and accumulating between the steering crank and the servo) when the wheel is turned right. (The snow gets in when you turn right, then each time you turn left, the steering crank basically packs the snow in against the servo until it eventually locks up).

I also have a higher airflow "GozzzMod" J Concepts overtray that I use for warm weather off road/wet runs. Nice for "topless" (body-less) bashing too. Nice thick lexan and gives the car a buggy look.

BTW, every time I have a chance to install my CVDs, the weather has been way too conductive to driving. So no update yet. Besides, I'm still waiting on the second pair of CVDs and my ride is a filthy mess that is overdue for some maintenance. I run alloy knuckles and hubs so I have to do the Locktite thing too. Might as well do a full overhaul when I hook up the CVDs. Soon come.

Hmm... not bad, I kind of like it. I'm sure it will be a hit with the masses and keep the KB/WR8 chassis franchise rolling. That is all that matters really. The more they sell the longer they will be in production ;-) And cheaper the parts will eventually get.

I wonder if I'll see these bodies in the chop shops before I see the Rally Cross Subaru WRX STI on store shelves in the US? lol  :yawn:

Speaking of HPI keeping up production, looks like they have canned the clear Ford AD body. Guess they are trying to push the KB and Subie team bodies. Not a good thing IMO. Nothing against the team bodies, but we may see fewer works of art like these:

http://picasaweb.google.com/111377735497050056367/MyRCCar?noredirect=1#6043722655517993874

http://picasaweb.google.com/111377735497050056367/MyRCCar?noredirect=1#6043723017903425922

Not my bodies BTW! I wish.

Edited by Hotshot888
  • Like 1