• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

ec51031d27a0d379bfe6c397eebcb37b.jpg

Bearing fell apart, but I'm not convinced this is the bearing at fault....? Correct me if I'm wrong but the bearing supports the assembled diff inside the diff case, not the cup?

Anyway I've lost an e clip which irritated me so I've put it away in pieces now as the postman's due a workout.

Plus its raining so the Micro rs4 and hubsan x4 are getting some attention :)

Hmmm, re offsets- from those dimensions the WR8 wheels are +5mm offset? Unusual as RC wheels are normally neg or zero offset! So 35/2= 17.5mm less 5mm= 12.5mm.

The speedline 2.2's at 28mm width: 28/2= 14mm + offset.

So, the WR8 wheels 'stick out' 12.5mm (with a 5mm pos offset) from hex mounting face to outer rim.

The narrower speedline wheels with their assumed std neg offset would be 14mm +offset choice, from hex face to outer rim- ie wider stance- albeit a narrower wheel!

Don't quote me, but the smaller of the speedline offsets should be closest- if I've got my head around this correctly, lol!?

Haha! You laid it out way better than I could! And what you said sounds about right to me.

I think the wr8 having the + offset is what was throwing me off. The standard snr wheels have a normal 0 offset.

Edited by Mgozzz
  • Like 1

@sidewaysjim- I just looked at my used diffs and they don't have that much play on the cup.

Is it the same on the ring gear side?

FWIW the bearing only supports the casing and not the cup. I'm not sure what impact that has on your situation though.

I think you may want to also replace the case and seals. At that point it would be cheaper to get the full diff from the eBay chop shop.

How old is your wr8 anyway? You might be able to bug HPI and have them send you replacement parts if it's still under warranty.

Indeed, Jim's diff problems do sound odd!? Surely it can only be the diff case that's worn in some way? As mike says, is the ring gear side the same/as bad? If it is I'm stumped, unless you have a dodgy batch of output shafts/cups!

One other 'clutch at straws', are the o ring seals intact?

I'd put it to HPI, warranty claim or not.

Those running a Savox servo, did you notice and reduction in run times? Just wondering if the higher power requirement drained lipos quicker?

I didn't notice any difference in my run times with mine.

Hello everyone! I have a question (may be stupid). But is it true, or not, what 15CC GASOLINE ENGINE from SAVAGE XL OCTANE could fit 1/8th scale cars? WR8 is 1/8 ;)

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/hpi-18th-scale-gas-engine-fits-everything/

Ohhhh wow! That is pretty cool! I didn't realize the octane kept the nitro motor block profile.

I think with a bit of modification it *might* fit in there. We need to get some measurements of the engine though to be sure.

It may also be too long for the chassis seeing as the WR8 isn't a true 1:8 scale platform. If it does fit though... It will be pretty wild!

What's the best 3S Lipo to get the WR8 to hit 60mph? I can only get 53mph and that's with the replaced gear pinion installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My own GPS is what I use. But wondered what anyone else was using in terms of battery.

Edited by Sonicr360

What's the best 3S Lipo to get the WR8 to hit 60mph? I can only get 53mph and that's with the replaced gear pinion installed.

What size pinion, as 53mph ain't too bad tbh!

Also, where you sure you were at vmax, ie the run long enough to top out? Most gps systems are not very accurate whilst accelerating, as there's a slight lag in obtaining positional info from several satellites. They need several seconds at a set speed to accurately record velocity. So that along with the bigger pinion 'wind up' you're prob looking at 100-150m run: 50m up to max then the rest at max to allow for gps catch-up. Oh and plus braking: ~20m? Any athletic tracks near you? That would do it!

Edited by J.A.Son

I honestly don't know how fast my wr8 is but I'm using a duratrax 35c 5000mah and a skylipo 40c 5000mah.

They are both heavy batteries but they give me the run times I want. Also the duratrax battery seems to be the better quality out of the two. Even though it is a year older than the skylipo battery it seems to have better run time and punch.

Which one is better for speed runs? IMHO I'd think the duratrax. It just seems to be better quality.

Whatever you do, make sure you are looking for a battery with an adequate "c" rating. I'd try to stuck with anything over 35c to be on the safe side with the chassis.

Has anyone had to run a 'glitch buster' (bloody big capacitor :P) with their Savox on the WR8?

It's not a problem tbh, just interested. Still sorting install of my newly arrived 1273tg- need to splice fan motors together, as the glitch buster has taken a receiver socket! But so far its a huge improvement!

Before and after vids to follow.. :)

Has anyone had to run a 'glitch buster' (bloody big capacitor :P) with their Savox on the WR8?

It's not a problem tbh, just interested. Still sorting install of my newly arrived 1273tg- need to splice fan motors together, as the glitch buster has taken a receiver socket! But so far its a huge improvement!

Before and after vids to follow.. :)

I'm running one in mine. It's a tight fit inside the receiver box ;-) I'm also running a FlySky system so the receiver has 4 or 5 ports... I have more than enough ports for all my electronics.