• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What to do with Slash 4x4

Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to the hobby and will be getting a Slash 4x4 very soon. I will be using the truck for bashing only. I've just got a few questions about some possible modifications before I do anything.

Batteries: I have read that the stock nimh only gives around 10-15 mins of run time. Would there be any other nimh batteries that will give longer run times? Please note I do not want to go lipo.

Modifications: Would it be worth doing any modifications to make the truck better for bashing? I know there's a massive list of things you can do, but to be honest, as a complete beginner it confuses me. I just want to know what would be a sensible modification that is not ridiculously expensive.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Run it, enjoy it and fix parts when they break. The stock 8.4v NiMH packs are ok, you will see more than 20mins of bashing. To increase runtime, go for a higher pack capacity (mah).

Lipo is the best option however. If you have fears then I would suggest reading the pinned topics on here about safe lipo handling and use. If you follow instructions, charge correctly and always balance charge, a lipo is as safe as any other battery. I have a lot, but know how to look after them and have no qualms about keeping them in the house.

Hth.

• Like 1

Higher capacity batteries (more may)will give you more run time. But as Noj says Lipo is the battery of today.

In terms of upgrades ignore them all unroll you see what breaks with your driving and the change.

I went for Lipo last year after using nitro fuel rc for years, I too bought a slash 4x4. I got a Lipo bag but also a tin to put the batteries in, in the garage. I don't use a Lipo bag to charge them, but I don't leave the room while charging. The Nimh battery I have just isn't as great for running time and speed in comparison, even when bashing.

At the end of the day, its what you feel safe with. Happy bashing - great choice of truck! :D

Thank you for the advice everyone, it helps a great deal.

When I get it, I'll take the advice to run it bone stock for a bit, see what happens and upgrade if my driving style ends up breaking something (which it probably will).

As far as batteries go, I'll see what the stock NiMH gives in terms of performance and run time. If I have the desire to go faster and/or have longer run times, I will consider a larger capacity NiMH (mAh) or possibly a LiPo. I'll be back on here for more advice if that happens.

P.S. Glad I've made a good choice for my first truck - thanks Didski.