• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thoughts on KTM Duke 125

ashraf64

Hello all

So I've been commuting on my Honda PCX 125 scooter for about 8 months now. Have to say I'm loving it and enjoy every ride. It's a great little bike with plenty of poke and very nimble, ideal for inner city commuting.

I've now decided I want to take my bike test and am looking at the various geared 125s to practise on. I'm in no particular rush and will take my time with booking the test. I just want to practise while I commute and take test when I feel ready.

It seems everyone's favourite commuter is the Honda CBF 125 or a Yamaha YZF 125. Well I've been eyeing up the KTM Duke 125. It's a neat looking bike and has plenty of torque for a 125.

What are your thoughts on the Duke? Have any of you ridden one or own one now? Just interested in what the general thinking is like. I've asked the same question of a biker forum but I just got told to get a 600 by all the hard core bikers!

Opinions/thoughts appreciated.

Ash

i've never ridden one for an extended period, i am 6ft and the bike came up incredibly small, i wouldn't want to be doing great distances on it tbh but it did feel light and nimble though not quite as quick as i was expecting, but a lovely bike nonetheless

i've never ridden one for an extended period, i am 6ft and the bike came up incredibly small, i wouldn't want to be doing great distances on it tbh but it did feel light and nimble though not quite as quick as i was expecting, but a lovely bike nonetheless

I'm 5'8". Not ridden it but sat on it and it felt quite comfy. You reckon it's good for say 45min rides twice a day?

I'm 5'8". Not ridden it but sat on it and it felt quite comfy. You reckon it's good for say 45min rides twice a day?

being as your slightly shorter than me i cannot see why not, plus the torque is noticeable on acceleration =D its a great alternative to the main 125's

If you are thinking of doing your test, just use one of there bikes to do it on mate. Then once passed buy something bigger, are you thinking of buying a new Duke 125 ?

Was thinking of getting the duke to use for commutes to get used to the gears and just general practise really. Planning to part ex my Honda for it so will be going second hand.

The main thing for me is to have a commuter as well as a fun weekend bike as well as something I can practise on for my test. Eventually I'll get a big bike once I pass.

The KTM is expensive even second hand, especially if you're going through a dealer, and it'll only depreciate. Also the standard worries with a KTM, chavs love to pinch them so insurance will reflect that, somewhat questionable reliability compared to Japanese brands, even more so since the 125 duke is made in India.

My opinion of them is very similar to the CBR and YZF 125's, you're paying for the styling. Remove all the angular plastics and they're really not much different from any other 125.

As cyronn said, best suggestion would be to just use training centre bikes to get your test done. Learning gears won't take much. Failing that, if you want to practice and do tests without using a school, you might as well get a CG/ YBR, get tests done and when you upgrade you wont lose anything by selling it on, might even make a bit if you're smart about it.

Life's to short to not have the things you want, if you can afford the KTM then go for it! If it's anything like it's older brothers it'll be as mad as a box of frogs. My last bike was an Aprila Tuono 1000, it was a bike I'd lusted after for some time and I loved every minute of owning it, it put a big stupid grin of my face EVERYTIME I opened the garage door! I'm sure the KTM will have a similar affect on you.

Let us know what you decide and stay shiny side up!

As Tim said already, learning gearing is easier on a bike than learning in a car. I know I first did my bike test then had to do my car license. As you already use the roads on a scooter, I doubt you would need that many lessons on a training bike. Once passed you can get a nice 400cc like an nc30 or something along those lines from trading/selling your scooter.

But if your heart is set on one already, no one is really going to make any difference giving there opinions. Have to please yourself at the end of the day.

Speaking as someone who went out and bought a 125 to ride whilst learning I'd say the following.

Save your money for buying a bigger bike for once you have passed your test. If you are happy with what you have now for your commute stick with that and use one of the riding schools bikes to learn on and get familiar with.

Like I said I bought a 125cc bike to ride whilst learning but found out very quickly when I passed my test that it lacked in every area I needed it for thereafter (such as motorway riding, a roads, dual carriageways) and thus promptly sold it for a 500.

i know what you're saying guys about the initial outlay, but cost wise it won't cost anything as it's a straight swap for my scooter.

You have got me thinking about the long term though! I guess it does make sense to make do until I pass, but on the other hand, borrowing a training bike isn;t cheap!

I think only a test ride on the duke will help me decide.

KTM dukes aren't no where near as nice as the YZF R125! However, 2 stroke 125's are the way forward, hitting that powerband! 2 strokers produce twice the power than a 4 stroke equivalent!

KTM dukes aren't no where near as nice as the YZF R125! However, 2 stroke 125's are the way forward, hitting that powerband! 2 strokers produce twice the power than a 4 stroke equivalent!

If I could go back in time, I probably wouldn't have choosen my Aprilia Chesterfield RS 125. It wasn't the most reliable at all even though it looked good, parts where expensive to, also if you liked to ride in the powerband all the time the engine needed a rebuild more frequently. Which became expensive if you cannot work on it yourself or have a friend that can.

Edited by cyronn

How old are you out of interest, as the bike laws have just changed...

i'm a 30 year old father of 1 (soon to be 2), so not exactly a young rubber burner! but I would like to get more than just a commute out of my bike, what ever it is.

I don't intend on redlining it at every set of lights, but I would like to have some fun while I practise and commute.

If I could go back in time, I probably wouldn't have choosen my Aprilia Chesterfield RS 125. It wasn't the most reliable at all even though it looked good, parts where expensive to, also if you liked to ride in the powerband all the time the engine needed a rebuild more frequently. Which became expensive if you cannot work on it yourself or have a friend that can.

But if you ride a 4 stroke 125 hard all the time, then of course they will seize up, knacker valves and cams....EVEN more expensive! A 125 rotax engine like in the RS125 should be good for 10k miles, no problem. :) Pistons are cheap too!

2 STROKE FTW

But if you ride a 4 stroke 125 hard all the time, then of course they will seize up, knacker valves and cams....EVEN more expensive! A 125 rotax engine like in the RS125 should be good for 10k miles, no problem. :) Pistons are cheap too!

2 STROKE FTW

they dont mate. that only happens if your a spanner and run it out of oil or cane it all the time from cold. same as a two stroke for the most part.

pistons might not be that expensive but alot of people dont like to change them themselves so its extra cost at garage. 4 stroke is cheaper on fuel two.

ill admit 2 stroke if fun for mucking about but id tak a 4 stroke for commuting as it would be cheaper in the long run

I would buy a duke if your on l plates if you have a full licence I would go bigger my first ever bike was a 600 bandit ideal first bike . I just used the instructor 125 for cbt then the cb500 they had for my test . Otherwise you are buying a bike that you will get bored of quite quick .

PCs is q cracking little bike I work for Honda and I service loads of them

Being 30 years old he does not have to go the 125 route at all, One of my mates just passed his test and he's 30 too. Last time he rode a bike was at 17, he did the direct access route. So he had to do it from the start including the cbt bike test. I asked him how much it was for the direct access route for a week cost him, he told including his new bike gear, excluding the helmet cost it was around

Edited by cyronn

Cyronn you're bang on. I really don't have a grand to spend on a test. the idea behind the KTM is as follows;

I get the duke as a straight swap for my Honda, no cost associated. I've never ridden a geared bike so wanted to use the duke to commute to get used to it and also build my confidence with the gears. Nothing like a rush hour dash through central London to initiate you to a bike! Plus, to me the duke looks much better that the other 125's mentioned above.

So once I feel confident enough I will borrow a friends XJ6N on private land and do a few sessions. Once that's done (we're talking towards the end of the year now) I will book my direct access test (which is on an XJ6N) and hope for the best.

well that's my plan atleast!

Cyronn you're bang on. I really don't have a grand to spend on a test. the idea behind the KTM is as follows;

I get the duke as a straight swap for my Honda, no cost associated. I've never ridden a geared bike so wanted to use the duke to commute to get used to it and also build my confidence with the gears. Nothing like a rush hour dash through central London to initiate you to a bike! Plus, to me the duke looks much better that the other 125's mentioned above.

So once I feel confident enough I will borrow a friends XJ6N on private land and do a few sessions. Once that's done (we're talking towards the end of the year now) I will book my direct access test (which is on an XJ6N) and hope for the best.

well that's my plan atleast!

Sounds like a plan mate, learning the gearing on a bike is not hard as you would think. Probably learn it in a couple of hours.