• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Revo Vantage Carbon Rebuild

Andythecrane

Went out today for a few hours. And nothing went right, from the revo hitting my leg and popping out a rear hub.

And just not seeming as planted as before. But at the same time getting grip roll. And barrel rolling when on the brakes.

Then, as I was tuning the HSN I noticed the carb has worked loose.

After a fix and a tune, I hit a tree and done this,

Posted Image

Brand new tank destroyed. Stripped out the tank and fitted the standard tank again.

Refuelled and tuned again, hit another tree. The engine started to WOT, to the point of I thought the engine was going to pop. Tried to restart and noticed the engine was wobbling. Gave everything a clean and noticed that a bolt from the engine mount has fell out and that allowed the engine to move and take out the spur also.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I also think when the tree jumped out the first time, it mist have moved the engine enough to jam on the throttle. Which led to the second tree incident.

For now I have fitted a standard revo tank. Also to mention the brackets for the tank taken a whack as well.

I have washed the rig down with citrus degreaser. And plan to strip it down over next weekend, and assess.

Do I proceed with the big block conversion, or rebuild. I don't know as yet. As I sit here just now I am going to strip and rebuild the TRX engine, Buku clutch, bell and spur.

As I sit here just now I am going to strip and rebuild the TRX engine, Buku clutch, bell and spur.

? Seems like you have only just finished rebuilding it! Why does it need a strip down and rebuild?

A strip down to look for anymore tree damage, and everything was covered in fuel when the tank let go. As it was full to the neck. 250cc of fuel.

Half the fun for me is the building.

One thing I have noticed, is the big tank isn't as good in quality of plastic compared to the revo tank. Thinner construction, maybe a bit more brittle.

Damn mate as I was reading the crash I expected to see some broken arms like my crash, I saw the tank n oooowd out loud thats bad. Could be worse tho the chassis has a small tab in that area doesn't it that could have snapped off so that's lucky.  Still I feel for you man. You can get alloy tank gaurds but not sure if they'll work with the ofna tank or not. 

We know the revo is awesome but its a pain too every 1hr run brings problems in some form or another but there the best when running so i allow it lol. 

Take note potential brushless revo guys thats what happens to lipos on the revo. 

Im glad you love your revo as much as i love mine andy most people sell them after afew issues but i think all nitros act up really but none smile like a revo doing it lol. 

Oh if you do fit another big tank why not shoo goo some real carbon fobre off ebay to the side to spead out any force impacts thats sort of how my gaurd works but it doesnt protect the tank posts at all. Plus 1 on traxxas fuel tanks strength I think there the thickest ive seen.

Well defo need a big tank with the beast blocks im reading just over 5min run times on the lrp28.

Ill time my picco next run cos im sure i didnt even brim it but it felt like it lasted over 10min easy i had over 6min in video. 

Im thinking about listing my picco on ebay soon to help towards another engine but theres an OS30 on here im tempted by altho ive been told its not a monster engine so im not sure.

Sh.28 p6  is meant to be the lrp28 spec 2

Sh28 p8   is meant to be the lrp28 spec 3

I cant find either in asia tho for free tax. 

For now I am going to strip and check everything.

Your idea on carbon fibre is a good one. When I hit the tree the tank has moved forward with momentum and bent the posts it mounts to. Which in turn has dug into the tank and put cracks in the front of the tank.

OS30 will be a ripper of an engine. If you drive train can take the strain.

With the big tank at the weekend I was easily getting 20 minutes of run time.

The revo is fine. Its just the operator.

If it was a brushless conversion the lipos would have been launched into space.

I sripped down the Revo, after the tree incident;

Weakend RPM hub.

Broken 250cc tank.

Bent bracketry.

Broken clutch bell bearing.

Broken engine mount.

Broken exhaust header.

Broken Clutch slipper assembly

Broken 38t spur.

Broken 2mm hex tip, while disassembling.

IMG_20140322_144146_zpse2zrrngc.jpg

IMG_20140322_144115_zpsil45ljyn.jpg

IMG_20140322_144109_zpslqp1aeu0.jpg

Still to open up the engine.

• 1 month later...

started to rebuild the Revo again;

Fitted new rear RPM hub kits.

built up driveshaft threads to remove slop from 17mm hex conversion.

New slipper clutch kit installed.

Started the dry build of the Big Block conversion. With a New Era Mount, and a XTM 247 engine ( .24 capacity ).

Fitted the Buku Clutch to the XTM engine, with the Revo Clutch bell. My issue now is to secure the bell to the shaft, as the TRX was an e-clip fitment and the XTM is screwed at the end of the shaft. 

Also a thanks to RC Butcher for donating replacement  horizontal engine mount screws.

IMG_20140323_155953_zpsxruvi1cl.jpg

IMG_20140323_170108_zpscb7qujtj.jpg

IMG_20140511_092104_zpsgjllvqwo.jpg

IMG_20140511_152251_zpstngqzgue.jpg

IMG_20140511_152300_zpsp6exrwtt.jpg

IMG_20140511_165653_zps93ix9l7s.jpg

IMG_20140511_165658_zpscbd3hqmw.jpg

IMG_20140511_165705_zpslyz1fwgw.jpg

IMG_20140511_165711_zps8bou4jmc.jpg

IMG_20140511_165729_zpsezlj3r1c.jpg

IMG_20140511_165738_zpsf6o1ikhl.jpg

IMG_20140511_165909_zpsy8vrirms.jpg

IMG_20140511_165914_zps6gll2kfv.jpg

Edited by Andythecrane
  • Like 1

Looking good mate lines up nice.  How is it around the rear arm tho is the pull start catching or is it clear. Ill do mine next weekend it looks sweet.  

Thats a pretty big list of damage and it's shown the chassis is stronger than some online posts say it is. I went off the idea cos of them but since this is fine I may restart the search altho red is becoming my choice colour now. Ide love a candy red painted chassis , red hexs and any other red I can get on it.  

Whats the struggle with clutch bell cant you add the bearings and put m3 screw in thats how mines hooked up with a washer too. 

What servos have you got they look funky i havent seen a full white one or red. Look forward to hear how it goes compared to trx3.3 mate. No trees tho. 

Under full compression, the suspension doesn't come near to the pull start.

The shaft that is exposed out of the clutch bell seems a wee bit long. Maybe once I get new bearings in and a couple of shims all will be fine. It just looks to long.

The servos are alturn USA, they have been treated to warm electrical tape for waterproofing. The red tape makes a better job....

Have to work our the throttle linkage path next. I have already rotated the carb 180 degrees. Now to find an Allen key small enough to slacken of the spindle and rotate it to the 6 o'clock position for the linkage.

One thing I noticed is the carb is all metal construction.