• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Revo Vantage Carbon Rebuild

Andythecrane

Ive tried opening that new diff and shimming this that but it got worse. Im told once its bedded it should be smooth i hope so lol.

How do you plan on fitting the xtm engine with the traxxas bb kit?

I dont like the revos engine mount design I think traxxas do wgatever they can to make us use just their stuff even aftermarket companies have to cater for them instead of stay universal. Like the traxxas bead too now proline uses that or the engine tabs most big blocks have a standard size tab but traxxas made theres shorter so companies had to make traxxas only engines. The servo tabs are at an angle too so its hard to use them with the brick the revo has. I found that when I fitted a trx2075 to an fg. I bet theres other stuff theyve made a strange size too. Im slowly starting to see losi as my favourite brand but they use imperial screws which I dont like.

Keep us posted on how the marine grease works for waterproofing medick swears by the stuff so it must be good.

I have a BB engine mount and I am going to see if it will fit the mount. And line up to the spur. The XTM has a side pipe as well.

Its something to do on these wet weekends.

I am waiting for a bearing shaker to arrive, and I will get to doing the bearings.

This wet winter has led me to do this to get as much life as I can out of them. By doing it this way I can maintain the bearings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Fitted the ultimate bashers tank and Rx ? battery mod.

It took an hour to test build it, when i was happy with the tank position, it was a case of thread locking the screws into position.

And re-positioned the fuel outlet pipe. 

Just to find a longer bit of fuel tubing for the pressure line.

Not ran it as yet, as weather still a bit poor.

IMG_20140201_153732_zpsgsvz7fwp.jpg

Edited by Andythecrane

Thanks David for the kind words. I thought you would appreciate that type of thing, with you doing the racing.

The battery is a traxxas hump pack. Which works well and holds its charge. I also have an Overlander hump pack as well for swapping out. It is brand new and only been charged once.

• Like 1

I have a XTM 247 big block that I have in my XTM buggy that I have been looking at. It would be a tight fit with the Traxxas BB kit. A New Era BB mount would fit the bill perfectly, but they are like rocking horse poo.

Don't get me wrong, my TRX 3.3 is pretty good. A better carb would wake it up.

Its winter and the mind comes up with these things to do, while waiting for the weather to warm up.

Note to self: need to build something waterproof for next winter......

I am not overly hard on the Revo. Pride and joy and all that. But I would expect a stripped gear now and then in the gearbox.

Driveshafts are cheap to replace. And I believe that the summit ones are stronger, and a straight fit.

Erevo diff's are stronger, but I believe that you don't need them for nitro power.

My revo has the strengthening plate on the underside already. Plus with the chassis being carbon fibre, whis is an inherently strong material I should be OK.

There is a rear chassis brace mod out there that connects the shock mount to the wing mount, to stop rear end flex when landing.

There is a German mob that makes a kit that is a bolt on job.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received the bearing shaker;

IMG_20140215_181118_zpscr0z0ks0.jpg

It is the perfect size for washing a single bearing at a time.

Once the cleaning solution has settled with the debris suspended in it, you can look to see what is collected. And what i noticed within the first few bearings is metal flakes. So that bearing was immediately despatched to the bin.

I did use a homebrew version but it was a bit to big and not leak proof, but done an ok job.

IMG_20140202_132953_zpsiwbeqnla.jpg

All the new Avid bearings have been washed and re-greased with marine grease, and installed into the hubs.

There has been a few casualties from the bearings that has been removed due to being gritty feeling when spinning after cleaning, and of course metal flakes.

So for

Edited by Andythecrane

• 2 weeks later...

Rebuilt all the hubs with the new waterproof bearings, and put the wheels back on.

And I noticed I had wheel slop. So after a couple of strip down and rebuilds I have came up with this fix.

Remove the hex conversion, remove the driveshafts and remove the bearings. PTFE tape around the outside of the bearings. And force fit them in to the hub to eliminate any movement.

Next, lightly tape the axle shaft and and fit the driveshafts back in to place. Again a nice tight fit.

Lastly, the threaded end on the driveshaft wrap a lot of tape onto the thread, so it is proud of the shaft. And now force on the hex axle shaft and secure.

Wheels on. Reset toe, and camber.

And you are golden.

Ran the Revo for over an hour today. No failures, or breakages.

The Ultimate Bashers tank mod, is great. Far fewer pit stops.

I think i am getting 15 to 20 minutes out of a tank, and thats with a lot of wide open throttle.

Cool, I have plenty spots near me but no basher to use. 

I've been really busy with my racing though, lately I've been venturing out to the club in Dundee. I'm also currently competing in the GT12 Scottish Regional which is a 3 race series, round 2 is tomorrow in Lochgelly, can't wait  :xd:

• Like 1