• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Grease/oil

dee

ok just a random question about the above

for after run oil and for oiling other moving parts after a strip down could you use a drop of car engine oil or cooking oil or that 3in1 oil

for greasing parts could u use car grease??

and what about wd40 on parts??? servos/esc ect.

carlube-lm2-lithium-grease-cartridge-400g-20181-p.jpg

also whay sort of gm of greases should u use on what parts

cheers guys

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I find that sewing-machine oil works well on bearings, as it is very light and free-running. For parts that require grease, either Tamiya AW grease or good old Vaseline works well in my experience.

For after run oil I use Air tool oil. The reason being is its designed to be 'O' ring friendly, lubricate and deter corrosion. If it can keep air tools healthy for years it can handle looking after a nitro engine while it naps every now and then!

It's cheap too !

When running an engine in I graphogen the piston/liner and 'big end' shell

When stripping and cleaning a part I use soapy water (if appropriate) and wipe over with '3in1 Silicone Spray'

WD40 is ok but makes stuff a little slimey and sticky which attracts new dirt.

Edited by SirusDviruS

Another oil I used to use for bearings back in my racing days is valve oil, sold by music shops for use on the valves of brass and woodwind instruments. With very good anti-corrosive properties, it is very thin and free-running, safe on rubber and plastics, and has the added advantage of being non-toxic. Not cheap though...

Edited by XV Pilot

Another oil I used to use for bearings back in my racing days is valve oil, sold by music shops for use on the valves of brass and woodwind instruments. With very good anti-corrosive properties, it is very thin and free-running, safe on rubber and plastics, and has the added advantage of being non-toxic. Not cheap though...

I work in a music shop, we stock valve oil...I actually never thought of using it on my cars- I shall borrow a bottle to try it out :whistling: it's not that expensive really