• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Electric Guide

Garry

That is fairly normal behaviour for nimhs really, but yeah, ideally they should only be 'quite warm' at the end of the charge. I would suggest lowering the delta peak setting a notch, that way the charge will end a little sooner and the batts should not be as hot ( famous last words ). Charge time and settings are correct pretty much, though it never hurts to charge nimhs a little slower ( lower charge current )- a slower charge lets them hold more of their rated capacity but with a lower peak voltage, a faster charge means they hold less capacity but have a higher voltage straight off the charger. Depends if you need more speed for less time or viceversa- for just general bashing and not racing, I'd opt for a longer charge...

Hi SuicideNeil,

Thanks for that, thats a great help, will try changing the Delta Peak Setting and lowering the amps.

Cheers.

Need more info on 550 cans/ESCs. Most ESCs seem to be built for 540 cans, unless I'm misunderstanding things. The ESC in my 15t 550 equipped Carnage was never very good out of the box and now I think I've fried it totally (another story involving a 21t 540 can and confusion about gearing). 

Can I use any 12t rated speedo with the 550 can?

Can I use any 12t rated speedo with the 550 can?

That depends on what the esc is actually rated for ( most should say in their manual what motor turns they can handle & in what can size ), and what turns the 550 motor is; a 15t 550 motor is pretty hungry. That said, the traxxas XL-5 escs are designed & rated for 550 motors ( down to 12 turns ), so it really depends on what the manufacturer has in mind for their esc...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What could be causing my motor and esc to be getting too hot in my 2wd buggy?

I'm running a Thunder Power 8.5t motor, Hobbywing Xerun 120a esc, Turnigy Nanotech shorty 4200mah 2S lipo, a 81t spur and 27t pinion.

If motor and esc are both getting hot ( what are battery temps like? ), then over-gearing woudl be the most likely issue. You need a smaller pinion and/or larger spur gear. 

Could also be overly aggressive driving style ( throttle & brake abuse... ), unsuitable surface ( long grass ), or excessive drag in the drive train ( pinion & spur too tightly meshed for example )...

0 replies to this topic
#1 icon_share.pngSaito

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 837 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

I have a Novak XRS ESC that has a 15T 540 motor limit. What would the limit be with a 550 motor? I would like to run a Titan 12T 550 motor with it if possible. Thanks. 
#2 icon_share.pngdan12

• photo-thumb-34656.jpg?_r=0
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 362 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

yes a 12t 550 is like a 15t 540. It will be fine. However why a titan 12t ? they are known to be unreliable. 

Found this on Tamiya Club. Dan can't be right can he? Where was SuicideNeil when needed lol

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't checked battery temps. I have now changed the gearing to 87t spur and 22t spur and temps are a lot better now. Thanks for your advice :thumbsup:

Well my temps are still getting too high, anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I'm away to re-solder everything tonight and see if that makes any difference, either that or I'll try a different esc. 

Well my temps are still getting too high, anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I'm away to re-solder everything tonight and see if that makes any difference, either that or I'll try a different esc. 

What are the actual temps- do you have an IR temp gun to check?

An 8.5t motor in a 2wd buggy is fairly aggressive though- I run a 9t and still get tons a wheel spin and have trouble hooking up, you might consider a higher turn motor which will draw less current & run cooler while being easier to drive. Changing the esc won't drop motor temps, and that's the thing which is drawing the current & heating the esc up as a result too....

Edited by suicideneil

What are the actual temps- do you have an IR temp gun to check?

An 8.5t motor in a 2wd buggy is fairly aggressive though- I run a 9t and still get tons a wheel spin and have trouble hooking up, you might consider a higher turn motor which will draw less current & run cooler while being easier to drive. Changing the esc won't drop motor temps, and that's the thing which is drawing the current & heating the esc up as a result too....

I have a IR temp gun but didn't have one when the Hobbywing esc was fitted. The motor and esc where too hot to touch.

I asked some-one at the local club to check over it for me incase I there was something I was missing. Everything looked fine to him but he did suggest the esc might be a fake. To eliminate the esc as the fault we soldered in my new Saxox Razor esc which I was going to be putting in my touring car, everything is working good now and temps are good. My next club race meet is on Sunday so will see how I get on then. 

You're not the first person to suggest fitting a higher turn motor, I'm going to take your advice for next years season as there is only 3 club rounds left this year then we move indoors to race GT12 & touring cars only. I only went with 8.5t as that is what I was advised to get.

Thanks for your advice/help Neil, it's much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I'm after a bit of advice for wiring my esc in my touring car, what gauge wire am I best to use?

I run a 13.5t brushless motor, 2S lipo only and esc in blinky mode. The esc came with 14gauge wire but I would just like to check that this is best for optimum/safe performance?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can someone help me out understanding brushless motor specs and performance please.

I've seen this:

Leopard TORO 1/10 SKY RC CAR TRUCK BUGGY brushless Motor Combo 13T + 60A V2 ESC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261101462354?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It says it has 13T 3000Kv brushless motor and the ESC can handle 2S - 3S Lipo or 7.2 - 8.4v NiMh.

The guide at the start of this thread says to double the brushless motor turn to get a brushed equivalent. Making this equal to a 26T brushed motor - is this correct?

This then leads me to some other questions:

-How would this setup perform on 2S vs 3S LiPo, would it make a big difference in performance?

-How would either 7.2v or 8.4 NiMH compare to each other or to a 2S Lipo?

-If this setup really is equal to a 27T brushed motor on 7.2v NiMH. What sort of setup would I need too look for to match or exceed the performance of say a 14x2 brushed motor or a 10x6 brushed motor on good 7.2v NiMh's?

Thanks for your help.

Can someone help me out understanding brushless motor specs and performance please.

I've seen this:

Leopard TORO 1/10 SKY RC CAR TRUCK BUGGY brushless Motor Combo 13T + 60A V2 ESC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261101462354?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It says it has 13T 3000Kv brushless motor and the ESC can handle 2S - 3S Lipo or 7.2 - 8.4v NiMh.

The guide at the start of this thread says to double the brushless motor turn to get a brushed equivalent. Making this equal to a 26T brushed motor - is this correct?

This then leads me to some other questions:

-How would this setup perform on 2S vs 3S LiPo, would it make a big difference in performance?

-How would either 7.2v or 8.4 NiMH compare to each other or to a 2S Lipo?

-If this setup really is equal to a 27T brushed motor on 7.2v NiMH. What sort of setup would I need too look for to match or exceed the performance of say a 14x2 brushed motor or a 10x6 brushed motor on good 7.2v NiMh's?

Thanks for your help.

More or less ( BL motors, as do brushed ones, but double the turns is roughly equivalent ).

7.4v vs 11.1v ( nominal ), 50% increase in voltage so naturally it will be much faster, but also run hotter- will need to gear down to keep temps in check.

2s lipo vs 6/7 cell nimh pack will be roughly equal in voltage ( charged 2s lipo is 8.4v... ), but there will be much more punch from the lipo and better run time, and less weight too.

If you run 'hot' brushed motors, then you'd be looking for ~4.5 - 6.5T BL motors ( 36x50mm can size ) to be roughly equal, though you'd only run those on 2s lipo, not 3s generally. 

• 5 months later...

This may be a silly question.........but whats the difference between a 540 and 550 motors? Iam looking for advice, was wnodering if i could fit a 540 motor to my carnage, esc ..probe wp has min of 15t capability. Was looking for something with a bit less grunt/harshness.Will be shopping at MS.

This may be a silly question.........but whats the difference between a 540 and 550 motors? Iam looking for advice, was wnodering if i could fit a 540 motor to my carnage, esc ..probe wp has min of 15t capability. Was looking for something with a bit less grunt/harshness.Will be shopping at MS.

I've fitted 540s to my Carnage. The 550 has a slightly longer can and offers a bit more torque for the turns. 

have tampered with pinions and still having traction problems...bashing on loose dirt on our large back garden track, cant change the surface too much, running on mx style badlands (much better than std carnage) so i am looking at other options with car. not many tight turns on track,couple of good burms and lots of hoops and jumps along straights.traction when cornering is ok but when accelerating the power is too harsh too much low end grunt......its not just a heavy trigger finger.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a look in the guide and couldn't see anything regarding wire thickness.

Am I ok to use 16g wire in my trail/crawler SCX10? I'm running a 21.5t brushless motor on 2S only.

Should be ok, the amp draw of a 21.5t isn't high...

• 9 months later...

I've just been charging my nimh batteries with a normal 4 hour charger, I didn't realise there was so much too it! I've been looking at an IMAX b6, are these any good? I'm hoping my batteries won't be damaged, I haven't had them long and have never top up charged them.