• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

I had some awful problems with older 27 and 40 mhz radio gear. This included a falling to stop midnight pumpkin that hit a concrete pillar at full speed snapping all body mounts and the front bumper.

Swapped the radio gear for 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver and all is great. Awesome range, rechargeable too so no need for loads of AA batteries.

If you've got a small radio, tune it to 612 medium wave and walk to the end of your garden and listen for excess noise, I do this when looking for interference effecting phones and wi-fi (I'm an Openreach engineer).

I've found it works finding dead spots for old 27mhz radios too.

Replaced the spotlamps on the front of mine, used one of the RC4WD kits - really nice quality (all metal construction).

I fabricated some stainless brackets to connect it to the stock front bumper, using a circular geometry to try and spread any potential impact load!

The lamp unit is very bright, but needs 7.4v. I am using the BEC to feed them (5v), so I had to use a step-up power brick to provide the 7.4v. Works well in the end though!

IMG_1527_zpsfglizrag.jpg

IMG_1526_zps0msytq5g.jpg

IMG_1523_zpsxqk0ngzy.jpg

IMG_1522_zpsfflunr1a.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have just become the owner of a lunchbox!

I brought it off my brother-in-law who hardly used it. It's running just stock parts at the mo but is there any mods upgrades you would recommend?

I am a complete beginner so thought i would seek your wisdom!

Thanks

Lewis

Thanks oodboo.

Some good info, I will check out all the links you have supplied and update when i start mod's!

I got the lunchbox as something to do with my son over the park. He's mad about emergency vehicles so I'm going to do a police paint job on it and fit some LED's. I work with semiconductors and electronics so I can do all that at work.

Will post up some pictures when I get mods/paint job under way!