• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

Whilst I still await my own, took the boys out for a run today - Broke a body mount, a steering arm, as well as the antenna tube :yes: 

Ordered some Ali body mounts, new parts tree for the steering arm and have plenty of antenna tubes.

I also noticed at low speed that the round part that you fit the rear wheels to (Absolutely no idea what you'd call it other than perhaps a wheel plate) is buckled. I tried swapping it to the other side, to make sure it wasn't the shaft but I can confirm it is the actual plastic piece. So, do I a) return to shop on principle or B) order a new parts tree at

Edited by Monster LB
  • Like 1

Can't go wrong with a set of these shocks for the lunchbox:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-84365-RC-CVA-Yellow-Short-Shock-Damper-Unit-Set-II-For-CW01-Lunch-Box-/111192555761?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item19e397c0f1

Others get allot ones but you just need some that are 75mm so a search on ebay for 75mm shocks should give you plenty choice.

How did you break a steering link? Never managed to break one of those yet. Alloy body mounts are a must. The parts tree with new plastic ones costs more than a chassis and I've broke a few chassis' thanks to the alloy mounts.

You can get an alloy wheel hubs but can't see any listed on ebay at the moment. I'm yet to damage mine so haven't bothered replacing them yet.

Can't go wrong with a set of these shocks for the lunchbox:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-84365-RC-CVA-Yellow-Short-Shock-Damper-Unit-Set-II-For-CW01-Lunch-Box-/111192555761?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item19e397c0f1Others get allot ones but you just need some that are 75mm so a search on ebay for 75mm shocks should give you plenty choice.How did you break a steering link? Never managed to break one of those yet. Alloy body mounts are a must. The parts tree with new plastic ones costs more than a chassis and I've broke a few chassis' thanks to the alloy mounts.You can get an alloy wheel hubs but can't see any listed on ebay at the moment. I'm yet to damage mine so haven't bothered replacing them yet.

Not bad quality shocks just look cheap and naff.... And a horrible clashing plastic yellow :(

I've just swapped on some Ansmann 75mm alloy shocks on the front. However they are very cheap, not only to buy, but in construction also. For the money I guess they are ok, but not overly impressed with them. Still need to run it however, although the pre-filled oil feels too light and will need changing I think.

Modelsport list some other shocks from Absima:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-alu-dampers-75mm-1-10-2-/rc-car-products/369642

Although on closer look, they appear to be the same as the Ansmann ones, only black (need to confirm this).

ebay had some listed (blue ones). No idea how good, but they look interesting, just do a search for them. But they are from China, so expect a couple of weeks for delivery, which is why I went with the Ansmann ones.

Don't go any longer than 75mm however or the front wheel won't look right at all (see my earlier posts).

• Like 1

I've just swapped on some Ansmann 75mm alloy shocks on the front. However they are very cheap, not only to buy, but in construction also. For the money I guess they are ok, but not overly impressed with them. Still need to run it however, although the pre-filled oil feels too light and will need changing I think.

Modelsport list some other shocks from Absima:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-alu-dampers-75mm-1-10-2-/rc-car-products/369642

Although on closer look, they appear to be the same as the Ansmann ones, only black (need to confirm this).

ebay had some listed (blue ones). No idea how good, but they look interesting, just do a search for them. But they are from China, so expect a couple of weeks for delivery, which is why I went with the Ansmann ones.

Don't go any longer than 75mm however or the front wheel won't look right at all (see my earlier posts).

Same people in china make the absima and ansmann

Nice shocks but

Can't go wrong with a set of these shocks for the lunchbox:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-84365-RC-CVA-Yellow-Short-Shock-Damper-Unit-Set-II-For-CW01-Lunch-Box-/111192555761?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item19e397c0f1

Others get allot ones but you just need some that are 75mm so a search on ebay for 75mm shocks should give you plenty choice.

How did you break a steering link? Never managed to break one of those yet. Alloy body mounts are a must. The parts tree with new plastic ones costs more than a chassis and I've broke a few chassis' thanks to the alloy mounts.

You can get an alloy wheel hubs but can't see any listed on ebay at the moment. I'm yet to damage mine so haven't bothered replacing them yet.

The ones we have (now on the back only) are fully alloy except the bit that broke which is where they attach at the bottom, to the steering link/arm. I have asked the shop to replace them (if you don't ask, you don't get). If not, I will have another look .

Breaking the steering link- I have no idea but it could have been when I drove full speed into a kerb. Can't be sure though as the only thing I noticed at this stage was the servo saver coming loose leading to no steering- hence went into the kerb. I fear I may have stripped the thread inside the new servo but I've tightened the screw back up and I will see how it goes.

Body mounts - I was slightly against this purely because as soon as you strengthen one part (body mount), this will effectively weaken the area around it (chassis/shell) and thought it would be cheaper to replace plastic body mounts than shell/chassis. This said, I have now ordered aluminum ones (a set for me too).

You can get heavy duty steering links and alu servo savers... But be sure you have a metal geared servo as the LB is reasonably heavy, with big wheels.... So the steering system does take some hammer when bashing...

Yes, I (Son) has a metal geared servo so might have a look for these heavy duty steering links and servo savers when i'm looking for the hubs

I'd recommend ordering some of the gmade xd diaphragm 75mm shocks, from fusion hobbies. they will be my next upgrade.

True, and for a more serious RC I'd pay that but not for my lunchbox. It's just a bit of cheap and cheerful fun for me.

Speaking of cheap fun  - I have already spent double what I paid for the kit in the first place. I think my brushless motor combo and LiPo will be going straight onto my Schumacher when I get it. This is fast enough for all of the plastic parts! I'm quite amazed at what the sport tuned motor has done to it!

I'd recommend ordering some of the gmade xd diaphragm 75mm shocks, from fusion hobbies. they will be my next upgrade.

Looking at these, they are still susceptible to the end snapping off with high/fast impact

True, and for a more serious RC I'd pay that but not for my lunchbox. It's just a bit of cheap and cheerful fun for me.

It is for me also.... I've payed double that on my Schuey!..... Knowing how cheap the LB is and how weak also... You need to spend a little otherwise you'll be repairing it after every bash

Looking at these, they are still susceptible to the end snapping off with high/fast impact

Perhaps... But at least the main support mount is alloy, and it's a true diaphragm oil shock... Very plush, you can get the piston shaft rod ends to replace them.

Ah, that's good then - they do look good! That's what oi was hoping to do with my snapped ones but couldn't find a way of a) taking it off or B) a replacement part.

These hubs, the only place (quick Google search) I can see is Minature Manufacturing - It does not mention that they are a pair for

It is for me also.... I've payed double that on my Schuey!..... Knowing how cheap the LB is and how weak also... You need to spend a little otherwise you'll be repairing it after every bash

The lunchbox isn't cheap and weak. I've bashed hell out of mine with minimal breakages. If you keep it to a reasonable speed then it doesn't break much. I had a 4s battery in it with a 10.5t brushless motor and only broke 1 plastic shock and snapped the chassis. The plastic shock was a standard one from a firestorm and the chassis had a big hole cut in fit the battery and there wasn't much plastic left holding it together. The shock broke on a full speed crash into a wall and the chassis after too many jumps. If it was weak a lot more than that would have broke.

Perhaps... But at least the main support mount is alloy, and it's a true diaphragm oil shock... Very plush, you can get the piston shaft rod ends to replace them.

What makes them a true diaphragm shock compared to the Tamiya CVAs which on the cut away view looks to be very similar in design?

The lunchbox isn't cheap and weak. I've bashed hell out of mine with minimal breakages. If you keep it to a reasonable speed then it doesn't break much. I had a 4s battery in it with a 10.5t brushless motor and only broke 1 plastic shock and snapped the chassis. The plastic shock was a standard one from a firestorm and the chassis had a big hole cut in fit the battery and there wasn't much plastic left holding it together. The shock broke on a full speed crash into a wall and the chassis after too many jumps. If it was weak a lot more than that would have broke.

Body mounts are weak as standard

Hubs are weak as standard

Love or hate the standard Suspension dampers

Chassis tub is flexi due to the weight it's carrying

The standard plastic wheel bushes are questionable

The gearbox or diff springs are weak as standard

The standard front suspension camber is crazy under compression

This is why we all love upgrading it... From standard, don't get me wrong, after all the upgrades most of us have done, it makes a very solid little truck. Personally I love tinkering and improving...

What makes them a true diaphragm shock compared to the Tamiya CVAs which on the cut away view looks to be very similar in design?

Cva shocks are not bad.. Like I said earlier... But they're plastic, and have the plastic mounting eyelets, which can be suspect as monsterlb is questioning... They also have the diaphragm which makes it a lot more plush particulary over rougher surfaces at speed.