• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Why does this happen? Summit half shafts pop out (pic)

Joe Tosh

I got this happening last time I went out on the beach with the Traxxas Summit.

30aygqe.jpg

The pin connecting the half shafts to the front axles pops out. :errok:

Put everything back together but it happened again on the next run after 5 min.

Why is this happening?

Never happened before in 2 years time.

Can anyone help? :)

Edited by Joe Tosh

Can anyone help? :)

Too much torque and too soft plastic = it stretches a little and the pin pops out. You could replace the shaft / that end of it ( if you can find the separate parts in the UK ), or maybe swap to the erevo shafts & tweak the lengths ( one is shorter at each end of the truck ). I doubt a ziptie would work to hold anything in place- do you drive with the diffs locked when this happens?..

Too much torque and too soft plastic = it stretches a little and the pin pops out. You could replace the shaft / that end of it ( if you can find the separate parts in the UK ), or maybe swap to the erevo shafts & tweak the lengths ( one is shorter at each end of the truck ). I doubt a ziptie would work to hold anything in place- do you drive with the diffs locked when this happens?..

Hmm, good question. I was indeed driving it full speed (BL on 4S) with the front diff locked, although I didn't know that. I must have pushed the switch accidentally and not notice.

Do you think that might have caused it?

I usually only lock diffs when I'm crawling, not in high gear.

The next ride (after I put it back together) was even shorter. Diffs were not locked and the pin popped out after a few minutes of bashing.

I must say that, when putting it back together, it was kind of loose, no snug fit really. It got me wondering how on earth that pin would stay in when driving... :confused:

So I guess the half shafts are just worn now?

Do they have CVD's for the Summit?

Thanks for your help!

Hmm, good question. I was indeed driving it full speed (BL on 4S) with the front diff locked, although I didn't know that. I must have pushed the switch accidentally and not notice.

Do you think that might have caused it?

I usually only lock diffs when I'm crawling, not in high gear.

The next ride (after I put it back together) was even shorter. Diffs were not locked and the pin popped out after a few minutes of bashing.

I must say that, when putting it back together, it was kind of loose, no snug fit really. It got me wondering how on earth that pin would stay in when driving... :confused:

So I guess the half shafts are just worn now?

Do they have CVD's for the Summit?

Thanks for your help!

Ah, another guy who runs BL in the Summit; buy an erevo for BL, keep the summit for slow driving! :D

But yeah, sounds exactly like the joint / hole got stretched and now the pin will just keep popping out. Traxxas doesn't sell cvds for the 4 corners, just the centre shafts ( that thought crossed my mind- they would need to make/sell 2 different lengths vs a single length that fits all 4 corners so not worth the hassle for traxxas ), however MIP do sell cvds for all for corners ( universal style slider shafts ):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MIP-CVD-Spline-Kit-Traxxas-Summit-9168-NIB-/390461232478?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae94d955e

several sellers if you do a quick search for 'traxxas summit cvds'. Might be worth a go, if not replace with another stock shaft...

• Like 1

Wont these fit?

http://www.modelspor...roduct_id=28040

Cheaper on the bay though

No, because the summit uses 2 different length drive shafts at each end of the truck, due to the diff being wider on one side for the locking mechanism = shorter drive shaft on one side. The revo cvds will only fit one side, and are very likely to keep popping out of the drive cup due to the extreme articulation/ suspension travel of the summit too.

• Like 1

Ah, another guy who runs BL in the Summit; buy an erevo for BL, keep the summit for slow driving! :D

But yeah, sounds exactly like the joint / hole got stretched and now the pin will just keep popping out. Traxxas doesn't sell cvds for the 4 corners, just the centre shafts ( that thought crossed my mind- they would need to make/sell 2 different lengths vs a single length that fits all 4 corners so not worth the hassle for traxxas ), however MIP do sell cvds for all for corners ( universal style slider shafts ):

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5ae94d955e

several sellers if you do a quick search for 'traxxas summit cvds'. Might be worth a go, if not replace with another stock shaft...

I know, but the Summit is just awesome on BL :yes: It then just becomes the ultimate fun truck!

And I've never liked the looks of the erevo, looks too squashed.

I've got to say, I'm not a brainless basher, apart from 2 front bumpers, this is the first breakage in 2 years time.

Gonna try the MIP CVD's then, thanks for help! :good:

I know, but the Summit is just awesome on BL :yes: It then just becomes the ultimate fun truck!

And I've never liked the looks of the erevo, looks too squashed.

I've got to say, I'm not a brainless basher, apart from 2 front bumpers, this is the first breakage in 2 years time.

Gonna try the MIP CVD's then, thanks for help! :good:

Fair-dos.

Most guys ( traxxas forum... ) stick the MMM or similar BL systems into the Summit and then drive it like an erevo, so it's little wonder so many of those kinda guys strip diffs and driveshafts constantly, no points for guessing what the common bit of 'advice' is that they receive :D 2 years with no real breakage is impressive driving & care for sure :)

Fair-dos.

Most guys ( traxxas forum... ) stick the MMM or similar BL systems into the Summit and then drive it like an erevo, so it's little wonder so many of those kinda guys strip diffs and driveshafts constantly, no points for guessing what the common bit of 'advice' is that they receive :D 2 years with no real breakage is impressive driving & care for sure :)

Know what you mean. I'm pretty cautious with it.

I won't drive it on 6S either, I want to keep it alive :)

I do jump it however, and it's easier to control mid air on BL.

34djyn9.jpg

212wwt2.jpg

Edited by Joe Tosh

Think its only 2mm. Check first just to be sure! I did this with my Summit when i first got it. I was donutting and broke the pin out of the shaft. Drilling works just fine, but the holes need to be diametrically opposite. If they're not then they'll shake to bits pretty quickly.