• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What is the difference between these two chargers?

TerrorTrooper

Perhaps im missing something, But i cannot tell the difference between the Etronics Powerpal 4 Multi balance charger-discharger 50W and 80W versions. Part numbers ET0210-5 and ET0210-8 as seen

Here. http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-powerpal-4-multi-balance-charger-discharger-50w/rc-car-products/35785

and here. http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-powerpal-4-multi-balance-charger-discharger-80w/rc-car-products/369851

Any i have seen only seem to have the number ET0210 on it, no 5 or 8, so there identical to look at.

According to the specs, they both charge at same levels.

So.. Besides a

i see one is 50W and one is 80W but what exactly does this mean?

for example, how does it charge quicker when both state that they can charge at upto 5A.

i would expect an 80W charger to charge at 6A but according to the specs, this isnt the case.

For example a 50W charger can only charge a 5000mah battery at 3.5odd amps because it doesnt have the wattage behind it to charge it fully at 5A, the more watts, the higher the charge rate it can provide. The 50W charger may allow you to select a 5A charge rate but it will only charge much lower capacity batterys at that rate.

Edited by H1GHLAND3R

i see one is 50W and one is 80W but what exactly does this mean?

for example, how does it charge quicker when both state that they can charge at upto 5A.

i would expect an 80W charger to charge at 6A but according to the specs, this isnt the case.

You need to read my Tutorials page- it explains all about power ratings and how they affect charging times.

Simply put though, the higher wattage means the charger can output more current ( amps ) per channel before it hits its power ceiling ( watts = volts x amps ) for any particular size of pack ( more cells and/or higher mah requires a higher powered charger to achieve a one hour / 1C charge ).

Highlander, my fusion elysium 60 says its only a 50w charger (even though its called a 60) but can charge my 5000mah 2s at 6a easily, its at the 3s mark it starts to dip to 4.26a...........moral of the story is? Need a better charger :D