• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Etronix battery doctor?

Bobcollege

Just want to know if anyone uses one of these and if it's a worthwhile getting one.

The reason I ask is that I have 2s lipos that the charger says are fully charged but the multimeter is giving me a reading of 8.3 or 8.29. In use the car seems to lack any sort of punch and falls short on top speed when this happens voltage is around 8 to 7.5v so I am guessing one of the cells is kaput.

I'm using a turnigey accucell 6 which I have calibrated as best as possible, balanced charged every 4-5 charges. I'm just thinking I would have more trust in letting the battery doctor balance rather than the accucell.

I think I damaged the cell/s keeping the packs fully charged for a couple of days, is this possible? I know you put into storage mode if not using for a period of time but I didn't know at the time not to keep packs fully charged. How long is safe enough to keep them charged?

Any help appreciated!

Neil

Get 1! I use an overlander rc6 and voltage readings between are waaay off. Yes i did caliberate the charger using a mega money fluke multimeter, but its loses itself somehow. I have even had it replaced by overlander and caliberated by them.

When the charger reaches 8.4v it goes alittle longer and shuts down charging. When the battery doctor is plugged in on the battery balance connector and the charger reads 8.4v the doctor reads 8.0 - 8.2v and thr charger can put in another 200 - 600 mAh!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks both. The packs have only been left at full charge a day or 2 and always put them at storage voltage for any other length of time.

Will get a battery doctor for the added piece of mind when balancing.

Neil

Ok so I have my Battery Doctor and new nanotech's and whilst charging the first pack I became a little concerned about the voltage reading it is giving me so I halted the charging. The battery doctor is giving me a voltage reading of 8.33 volts and my multimeter and charger are reading 8.27 volts. Is this anything to be concerned about? I wouldn't have expected such difference in readings.

Ok so I have my Battery Doctor and new nanotech's and whilst charging the first pack I became a little concerned about the voltage reading it is giving me so I halted the charging. The battery doctor is giving me a voltage reading of 8.33 volts and my multimeter and charger are reading 8.27 volts. Is this anything to be concerned about? I wouldn't have expected such difference in readings.

Which do you trust more ( bearing in mind the max voltage for a 2s pack is 8.4v, so you're safe still ), you need a calibrated multimeter ( Fluke meter or similar ) in order to know which piece of equipment is givning the most accurate voltage reading. If you multi meter hasn't been calibrated then it could be wrong- same too with the charger and battery doctor ( some chargers can be calibrated, tends to be a 'hidden' feature )...

........ you need a calibrated multimeter ( Fluke meter or similar ) in order to know which piece of equipment is givning the most accurate voltage reading. If you multi meter hasn't been calibrated then it could be wrong- same too with the charger and battery doctor ( some chargers can be calibrated, tends to be a 'hidden' feature )...

I have seen Fluke multimeters mentioned before and they cost a fair wack, any other recommendations for similar calibrated multimeters?

I have seen Fluke multimeters mentioned before and they cost a fair wack, any other recommendations for similar calibrated multimeters?

Nothing springs to mind- I think the best ( and cheapest ) bet would be to find an electrician or electrical repair guy / shop and take your gear to him for testing and calibration. +/- 0.06v might not sound like much to most people, but in some situations 100% accuracy is vital ( especially with micro electronics )..

• 8 months later...

When it says can discharge, is that on it's own or does it have to be plugged into a charger does anyone know?????

The charger needs to be plugged in & turned on in order to discharge batteries, yeah- other wise there is no way for the charger to function without power ( plugging batteries into the charger doesn't equal powering the charger ).