• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Length of aerial tube

Andyw

This maybe a really stupid question but as I've asked a few now I'll continue with this one.

Does it matter how lon or short the tube that the receiver aerial is? Can they be cut down to any length?

Many thanks

Andy

I was just thinking that the aerial could be doubled up inside the plastic tube to make it shorter that was all.

about an inch shorter than the aerial in place :lol:

I was just thinking that the aerial could be doubled up inside the plastic tube to make it shorter that was all.

depends on what radio it is but i dont see the point as most 2.4 are less than 100mm long anyway

Depends if your running a 2.4ghz radio

Im using 2.4 and all of my cars have about 2" maybe less sticking out the top and the range on them is fine

If you on the old style with crystals then your best having at least 6-7" sticking out :)

• Like 1

Yes I have the old 27mhz system, will make sure that they are long.

thanks

Andy

Depends if your running a 2.4ghz radio

Im using 2.4 and all of my cars have about 2" maybe less sticking out the top and the range on them is fine

If you on the old style with crystals then your best having at least 6-7" sticking out :)

The wire wants to be as straight as it can be with the wire going up to just before the end of the tube.

Having the wire go past the end of the tube and then run back down the tube has always been a daft idea, but one that has been standard in RC cars for ever... Without going into too much detail, the section that run back down the tube is in effect removed from the overall length of the wire... Have a look for HF/VHF antenna design for more info.

Having said that, most 27MHz and 40MHz radios are still good enough when set up like this, providing adequate range so it doesn't really matter all that much as long as the bulk of it is straight up.

With 2.4GHz however there are some other factors, such as the type of wire used for the antenna, most low cost radios use 4 or 5 inches of plain wire, which is a bit nasty, but as long as the last couple of inches if fairly vertical and in the clear you're good to go. The other common type is coaxial, you can normally tell because the last inch is thinner, the thin bit is the only active part of the antenna and needs to be vertical, but you have to be very careful not to kink, or tightly bend the thicker bit as it will deform the coax which will heavily attenuate the signal.

i run 2.4 and have my airial taped up round the rx, i can still run fine over the entirity of the field round the back and have never had any issues with range, signal or runaways as a result. am/fm airials, i just leave about an inch loose in the box and have the rest out the top tied to the tube

length of the tube depends on you own conditions. for example in a quarry with high gravel hills you would want a longer airial and flat ground it dont really matter how long it is aslong as the tx and rx can talk to each other but obviously the longer it is, the better range you should get

Edited by HATZY

old crystal crystal systems as long as possible infact buy some antenna tubes from black smith they do extra large ones also add a failsafe, for 2.4ghz system just enough to hold the wire at least 2 inches

• Like 2

Oooops, I did fit a fail safe when I first got the car.

I definaly need a failsafe my trucks controller died and my truck went full speed into a poll and split in two peaces.

I definaly need a failsafe my trucks controller died and my truck went full speed into a poll and split in two peaces.

i know the feeling had that happen before also if you dont all ready invest in a hump pack i found that my car used to run away because going over jumps etc the batteries would become dislodged in the battery box which means no power so even a failsafe wont help hump packs stop that problem

• Like 1