• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Why a truggy over a buggy?

i-CONICA

Hi,

I've not been in the hobby long, I've got a 10th rally style car and a 8th hyper 7 buggy. I can't see any reason for truggies to exist. They seem to be no better than buggies.

Why do people choose truggies? Are there any benefits to that design that I'm not aware of, or is it just personal taste of the styling?

Thanks.

Bigger wheels, more tread on the ground for grip, better ground clearance...

If you try running a buggy on a surface like, for example, woodland with a carpet of leaves down. Trucks and truggies can drive over where a buggy digs in and burrows.

The bigger ground clearance also tends to mean more suspension travel too...which can help on jumps and bumps.

Downside is the longer suspension arms are more prone to breakage in a crash

Truggys are much better for bashing in my opinion, as mentioned there alot bigger, wider, can handle bigger jumps, easier to handle in the air, better traction and easier to drive in general.

Buggys are also good for bashing but cant do alot of what a truggy can with as much ease.

I have had both and i much prefered my truggy for bashing.

Now gone onto racing and the buggy is awsome, totally different to drive, but prob more fun as u need to be more precise.

I really like truggies and would own more if the tyres were cheaper! :thumbsup: Basically as above more clearance so better for bashing if i could own one car only it would be a truggy.

Here you go. A couple of shots showing the difference between a 1/8 truggy and 1/8 buggy. Truggy is way better for bashing off road.

73135bc0.jpg

725d0c0f.jpg

Ha these are the same as mine lol just mine r blue same wheels on the buggy too

Thanks for the pics. I didn't realise there's such a size difference. My hyper 7 seems much bigger than your buggy though? On that scale the truggy must be huge?! :o

Edited by i-CONICA

Thanks for the pics. I didn't realise there's such a size difference. My hyper 7 seems much bigger than your buggy though? On that scale the truggy must be huge?! :o

Ha, no the truggy is that big, surprised me to. My x1-cr is the same size as the Hyper.

I'm intrigued in getting more clearance out of my hyper 7 now, cos its actually really terrible off road! How have the truggy wheels worked out so far? Just wondering if it's worth me selling my hyper as a roller and looking out for a truggy roller but I don't know what's comparable to a hyper 7 in terms of parts availability and low price?