• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Making Cheap Strong Basher Shock Towers For Hyper 7

GorillaZilla

Few ideas and pictures of what we (me & smiithy1) done to help strengthen/improve hyper 7 for bashing:

Alloy front & rear chassis braces

Custom chassis brace - centre diff to steering plate

Custom front shock protectors

Hyper 7.5 rear shock tower - extra diff mountings

Ansmann front shock tower - extra diff mountings & thicker than standard

Engine head protection - fuel tubing

Flexible RX aerial

Pins & e-clips replaced with nuts&bolts

20mm hyperstar shocks & socks

Rear mudguards

Hyper 8 air filter

Nando block tyres

Diff grease replaced with silicone oil 5-7-2

T-bone bumpers

completed.jpg

rearbrace.jpg

frontbrace.jpg

ansmannfronttower.jpg

75rear.jpg

I love the Front Shock Protectors, I imagine as well as helping protect the Shock Caps, they act like Skid Plates, Helping Prevent the Shock Towers from Getting caught on anything and bending?

Though I'd have thought a down turn like the front of a Ski towards the end would have helped the Skid plate concept...

What was involved in making them?

Also, what are the Ansmann front shock towers made of? 6061 Aluminum? 6082?

Edited by GorillaZilla

I love the Front Shock Protectors, I imagine as well as helping protect the Shock Caps, they act like Skid Plates, Helping Prevent the Shock Towers from Getting caught on anything and bending?

Though I'd have thought a down turn like the front of a Ski towards the end would have helped the Skid plate concept...

What was involved in making them?

Also, what are the Ansmann front shock towers made of? 6061 Aluminum? 6082?

Just used 25mm steel tubing (3mm thick) cut in half length ways, then welded a 25mm disc of 3mm thickness steel to the back. Drilled mounting hole and painted black, Would ideally prefer some alloy ones as the paint doesn't last very long. Smitthy1 has a set of alloy ones from a Baja however they are approx half the size

Not sure what the ansmann one is made of as i was given it 2nd hand - think its from virus 1 but not 100% sure. Had to enlarge the 2 extra mounting holes as they didn't align with diff casing.

Just used 25mm steel tubing (3mm thick) cut in half length ways, then welded a 25mm disc of 3mm thickness steel to the back. Drilled mounting hole and painted black, Would ideally prefer some alloy ones as the paint doesn't last very long. Smitthy1 has a set of alloy ones from a Baja however they are approx half the size

Not sure what the ansmann one is made of as i was given it 2nd hand - think its from virus 1 but not 100% sure. Had to enlarge the 2 extra mounting holes as they didn't align with diff casing.

yes virus 1 front tower the virus 2 is joined in the middle and makes for a stronger tower might be worth thinking about who needs that front bit of shell it only breaks anyway

Some nice mods there!

So what exactly can be used from the virus on the hyper 7? It all looks to be near enough the same!

I wonder if these would be any better than the current supports that pop off? Certainly seems cheap enough to find out....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ansmann-Virus-Front-Rear-Reinforced-Rod-115000252-/160638033749?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2566c5df55

Some nice mods there!

So what exactly can be used from the virus on the hyper 7? It all looks to be near enough the same!

I wonder if these would be any better than the current supports that pop off? Certainly seems cheap enough to find out....

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2566c5df55

We actually tried these on a hyper at our bash last sunday, however with them being plastic they seemed to flex and didn't prevent the driveshafts and chassis from bending.

I got these alloy ones from hong kong (5 day delivery & no customs charges) cost around

Ahhh thats a shame about them being plastic! Should have noticed that really haha

I have seen the cheap alloy ones, what are they like? I assumed they would just be cheese metal and the threads would fall apart from the flex

I have been wondering about making a top plate that goes from the front diff to the rear diff, joining all 3 diffs togther and hopefully stiffening everything up suffiecinetly. Might be worth me making some cardboard mockups ready for making them out of ally plate (i have some lovely 4mm carbon fibre sheet sitting next to me too hmmmm.... )

Ahhh thats a shame about them being plastic! Should have noticed that really haha

I have seen the cheap alloy ones, what are they like? I assumed they would just be cheese metal and the threads would fall apart from the flex

I have been wondering about making a top plate that goes from the front diff to the rear diff, joining all 3 diffs togther and hopefully stiffening everything up suffiecinetly. Might be worth me making some cardboard mockups ready for making them out of ally plate (i have some lovely 4mm carbon fibre sheet sitting next to me too hmmmm.... )

The alloy braces themselves are of good quality, the provided nuts and bolts however are not - i just used some decent nuts and bolts and they are fine. Forgot to say though they must be designed for PBS hyper - the front one is approx 10mm too short (chassis hole) i had to drill a new mounting hole in the chassis. Rear fits perfect.

Well seeing as I don't launch off massive jumps yet, these can tide me by til the new super beefy ones come out :) I was mainly concerned about my diff casings, I can always run my original towers up against the virus ones for strength

Heres some more Images of the Progress.... :-)

Fronts

592adaa6.jpg

Rears, Thickness is 6mm, So looking at the same effect of doubling up the stock 3mm towers, only re-inforced with the extra unused holes in the gearbox to remove that weakness, Probably will drop the Recessing though.

ae2434e4.jpg

Edited by GorillaZilla

Aye, Will probably Drop the Recessing. It's a throwBack to the Hyper ST Pro Towers that these are based off.

The ST pro towers have the Recessing, So does the Initial design of these. But will likely just Drop it to keep to the K.I.S.S rule

Ashley smith is working out the Pricing now, Will be determined by how many get made. The longer the run the Cheaper each tower is.

Thankfully virtually everyone Owns a Hyper 7, and wants better shockTowers, of which there are not many choices other than the Expensive ST Pro's and the Questionable prospect of doubling up the Ansmann cheese shocktowers, which would be very heavy, Putting more stress on other parts of the truck in impacts such as the suspension arms/C-hubs and so on.

So potentially were looking at mass production....

Edited by GorillaZilla

I'd think about making the more soild between each shock tower to prevent flex! They may be thicker but with that much cut away I think it may still flex a little

I was thinking about the idea of putting a Bridge Between the front's Towers, But was wondering whether it would be a problem pushing the nose of the Shell through the Resulting hole.... And whether it would look a little Goofy....

Though the rear towers wouldn't have anything getting in the way of them, I'm wondering if they would look right on the Hyper 7 if they were made more like the Ansmann towers.

The design to some degree, and the material choice is somewhat Malleable at this point. It's why I started this thread, so all the Bashers out there including myself could help refine the idea to get what they want in a set of Cheap Strong aftermarket bashing shock towers :-)

So they can balance the Price Vrs Performance to what the community wants, Choose between the different materials and their varying costs.

6061 / 7075 / Steel / Titanium........ Though Titanium would cost more.....

Me personally am thinking of 7075 for the balance between Strength and lightness... Without the silly Price tag of Titanium.

Though 6061 would probably be better Value vs Strength....

AshleySmith is the Engine room behind this Project, I'm just the Idea Mill X-)

So won't know anything for sure untill AshleySmith can work out the Prices for each material Option.

But at the moment he's working away on getting the Shocktowers all Modeled up in Cad...

Edited by GorillaZilla