• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Happy new year to you too, @Buggy Malone!

I thought I’d seen it all with our Carnage’s, but the top of the gearbox popping off is a new one to me. Were the screws over tightened / threaded? 

I’d still say you’re lucky, for 2 reasons. The main one being that you were able to put a full pack through it before it broke. Finding the parts was a bonus!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Redback said:

Guess your new wing was stronger than the diff housing.

Yep, I agree, the wing caused the issue. 

I built a whole load of flexibility into the modification I made, including the use of high energy absorbent materials but the tip of the diff looks to be a fairly weak point on the chassis (when placed under stress.

Otherwise, I'm really not sure how to save the shock mounts from a heavy roll unless I just place small bungs on the top.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Happy new year to you too, @Buggy Malone!

I thought I’d seen it all with our Carnage’s, but the top of the gearbox popping off is a new one to me. Were the screws over tightened / threaded? 

I’d still say you’re lucky, for 2 reasons. The main one being that you were able to put a full pack through it before it broke. Finding the parts was a bonus!

A Happy NY to you too Ant :good:

It'll cost only £2.19 for the new diff housing so at least it's an easy fix, albeit the buggy is in pieces now, lol.

On a positive note the motor was barely warm so that was a result.

More FTX buggies broken though - that's two now :-(

7 hours ago, Kyo said:

What caused it? A roll?

Had the same on the front of my boys carnage a few weeks ago - pretty easy to replace. His was caused by a high speed head on with another buggy. Bits of car everywhere!

I went from dirt to tarmac and a lip between the two caused a flip. It was going fairly slowly TBH but I now know that "tarmac is not my friend" :good:

• Like 1

On 17/07/2021 at 22:35, Gari_Ferret said:

So what you're saying is, get the right parts and you could make a LWB Vantage. xD

All jokes aside(or are they?), that makes a bit of sense, seeing as the carnage is a MT which is meant to be a bit bigger.

Just finished mine.... pics to follow. Looks far better than the original with the monster tyres.  you will have to drill a new hole for the front body mounting in the top plate. Not a hard job use the body to position the hole, then just a bit of cleaning up to do ☺️

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keith Williams said:

Just finished mine.... pics to follow. Looks far better than the original with the monster tyres.  you will have to drill a new hole for the front body mounting in the top plate. Not a hard job use the body to position the hole, then just a bit of cleaning up to do ☺️

If you look closely, you can see the position of the front body mount is about 15mm back from where you'd expect it to be. other than that nothing drastic to change. All you need is a rear wing mount set, a pair of vantage body mounts and a vantage shell

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keith Williams said:

If you look closely, you can see the position of the front body mount is about 15mm back from where you'd expect it to be. other than that nothing drastic to change. All you need is a rear wing mount set, a pair of vantage body mounts and a vantage shell

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

You've done a great job. I'll be interested to see how it performs. 

All the best,

Andrew

• Like 2

Well pulled the carnage out of storage to fix the center shaft and refit the Dumbo radio gear 🤠 got some mini trenchers goin on in the next few days, for some reason I can't add pics otherwise I'd show u guys when they on 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Well pulled the carnage out of storage to fix the center shaft and refit the Dumbo radio gear 🤠 got some mini trenchers goin on in the next few days, for some reason I can't add pics otherwise I'd show u guys when they on 

I’ve had this issue a few times when trying to upload photos. Ive found that closing whatever browser you’re using and restarting it usually resolves things.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2022 at 19:25, Buggy Malone said:

A Happy NY to you too Ant :good:

It'll cost only £2.19 for the new diff housing so at least it's an easy fix, albeit the buggy is in pieces now, lol.

On a positive note the motor was barely warm so that was a result.

More FTX buggies broken though - that's two now :-(

Still no diff housing.

CML, ModelSport and both of my other shops can't get one because it's out of stock.

It's a bad show if CML doesn't have one in its capacity as the main FTX parts supplier.

.......and I'm not buying one from eBay as the prices are silly.

Edited by Buggy Malone
  • Like 1

I'm finding the same, need a few bits for my boys carnage but out of stock everywhere.  They must be having some spares issues 😣

I have a similar pic to you btw 🤣

To be fair to the carnage it was a pretty fast head on with a 1/8 buggy (which didn't have a scratch on it after the crash!)

20211120_163313.jpg

Edited by Kyo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Kyo said:

I'm finding the same, need a few bits for my boys carnage but out of stock everywhere.  They must be having some spares issues 😣

I have a similar pic to you btw 🤣

To be fair to the carnage it was a pretty fast head on with a 1/8 buggy (which didn't have a scratch on it after the crash!)

20211120_163313.jpg

Ah, not just me then. 

You've appear to have done the exact same thing as me sir.  My buggy is lying in a heap of bits until the part comes back on-line again.

I'm now on the MS notification list so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2022 at 20:28, Ant.p said:

I’ve had this issue a few times when trying to upload photos. Ive found that closing whatever browser you’re using and restarting it usually resolves things.

IV tried that still no luck

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Everyone 

My first post here as I’m just getting back into RC. I used to be well into RC in the early 90’s & I’ve bought a FTX vantage as a starter to see if I’m going to enjoy the hobby now as much as I used to. 

It was brushed but I soon got used to the speed so I’ve gone brushless with a SMD 3900 60A ESC combo with a 5000 lipo which is fast enough for me. I’ve had it up to 35 mph 

I’m off the road ATM as I’ve crashed it twice since the updates, once into my car wheel snapping the front holder on the Vantage. Fixed that  & I’ve now managed to snap that again along with the servo saver in the stupidest crash ever. I was full speed and crashed into……..me. Yeah, straight into my foot which launched the car into a massive barrel roll into the railings of the car park I was on. 

Hopefully these are just teething problems whilst I get used to it. I’m really enjoying the hobby and love driving the car. 

One thing I have noticed when I stripped it down after the crash, I’ve a inner front wheel bearing missing. It’s not come out in the crash as that parts not damaged so it’s been missed out on the factory build. I’ve picked a bearing up locally but just wondered if anyone else has had bits missing from the factory ? 

also, is it worth greasing the diffs as they have hardly any grease on them. 

thanks 

Edited by Simmy
  • Like 1

Hi @Simmy. I had similar problems with my carnage. Like you I was disappointed with performance out the box so opted to go brushless and it transformed the truck. Eventually, I went for the aluminium upgrade to replace the plastic suspension arm holders as they are so delicate, especially in the cold. Some will argue this moves the problem elsewhere, but it worked for me!

as for the diffs, I would definitely recommend some better grease, or even some diff oil, but you may find that leaks out in time.

I didn’t have any parts missing on mine, but I did choose to replace all the bushings with ball bearings to help things run smoother. I’m not sure it made a notable difference, but it must have helped eased any resistance, even if only a little.

• Like 1

Cheers Ant

The parts were delivered Today just I’ve just fitted them and got it running again, fitted the missing bearing also. I also ordered some new wheels with a road tyre thread & ive only run it up the side street but it seems to have made the handling better but that could also be the fact one of the front wheels is now tracking straighter as it’s got the bearing in now that was missing. 

I’ve got some off road wheels also so I can just swop them depending on which surface I’m running on. 

On my next day off work, I may put some more grease in the diffs. Would lithium grease be ok as I’ve got some I use on the bearings on my mountain bike. 

On 18/01/2022 at 22:48, Simmy said:

I was full speed and crashed into……..me. Yeah, straight into my foot which launched the car into a massive barrel roll into the railings of the car park I was on. 

Lol, We’ve all done it, haven’t we lads?…..lads?….?…..no?

Ok, just us then. 
Crashed into my own shin once.
Car was fine but I was rolling on the floor like a premiership footballer.

• Haha 2

No no no yep My sledgehammer hit my foot I went 1 way the Tx flew another way then hit ground and all the batteries spewed out every where lol :rofl:

Good job the failsafe worked and truck just sat there quietly sniggering to itself lol 😆 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Simmy said:

Cheers Ant

The parts were delivered Today just I’ve just fitted them and got it running again, fitted the missing bearing also. I also ordered some new wheels with a road tyre thread & ive only run it up the side street but it seems to have made the handling better but that could also be the fact one of the front wheels is now tracking straighter as it’s got the bearing in now that was missing. 

I’ve got some off road wheels also so I can just swop them depending on which surface I’m running on. 

On my next day off work, I may put some more grease in the diffs. Would lithium grease be ok as I’ve got some I use on the bearings on my mountain bike. 

Lithium would possibly be okay, ive heard it’s not best long term, but have nothing to back that up. I used Lucas Red and Tacky and a I’ve previously seen that others have also done the same:

Lucas Oil 10574 Red and Tacky Grease, 454 g https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068C5WD4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_ZQXXS555D47N20T4NN1D

Bottom line though, anything would be better than the putty FTX uses!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Lithium would possibly be okay, ive heard it’s not best long term, but have nothing to back that up. I used Lucas Red and Tacky and a I’ve previously seen that others have also done the same:

Lucas Oil 10574 Red and Tacky Grease, 454 g https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068C5WD4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_ZQXXS555D47N20T4NN1D

Bottom line though, anything would be better than the putty FTX uses!

Cheers 

Not a good day at all!!

After waiting a long time for all of my FTX parts to arrive the postie finally turned up with my expected box of bits.

It then transpires that all of my Outlaw bits are present but the one that I'm most waiting for (FTX6225 Vantage diff housing) is missing from the box with a note to say that it will 'follow on when back in stock'.

I almost chucked the Vantage in the bin.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Buggy Malone said:

Not a good day at all!!

After waiting a long time for all of my FTX parts to arrive the postie finally turned up with my expected box of bits.

It then transpires that all of my Outlaw bits are present but the one that I'm most waiting for (FTX6225 Vantage diff housing) is missing from the box with a note to say that it will 'follow on when back in stock'.

I almost chucked the Vantage in the bin.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-gearbox-housing-set-vantage-carnage-365757

says good stock here!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

Cheers Ant, MS only received a resupply of FTX6225 parts on the 17th Jan but my order was submitted to a different supplier yonks before that when MS had no stock.

CML has had no stock for about 10-12 days at least so that's a pain too.

This makes buggy ownership a proper pain in the arse, lol.