• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Thats great, i never thought of looking for quanum vandal parts.... And yes so much cheaper. Thanks for that. I have emailed rw racing to see if they could maybe put the gears through some kind of hardening process if i ship them some. But am tempted to have a go myself. I will let you know what they say.

Let me know what they say. I still find it odd that no one has brought out a decent set of gears for a popular model that has such naff ones.

Going back to jumping. How should you land them? Should your finger be off the throttle or should the throttle be matched with the landing speed?

Ok no probs will let you know. Just orderd some of those bits from hobbyking ? as for landing i have always taken my finger off the throttle as i thought putting drive through the wheels on landing would do more harm. But after reading those posts now im not so sure..... Will go back and read it again...

To be honest, i have destroyed my front and rear crown gears from not only landing jumps but high speed cartwheel crashes. And there is no way you could match the throttle in a crash like that so i think hardend gears are the way forward. When i crash at 40+ mph i just throttle off and look the other way lol.... And just hope its still in one piece at the end of it.

• Haha 1

Lol, I know what you mean. Where I drive I rarely get to 25mph never mind 40mph. I do the occasional cartwheel but like you if it can’t survive a few fumbles at low-ish speed then the gears aren’t fit for purpose.

I had a reply from Neil at rw racing. He said the best bet is to make them out of hardend steel, he said he can do it depending on demand..... I have told him demand is high and im pretty sure modelsport etc would stock them if available as the gears fit the vantage, hooligan etc too. And they must sell loads of replacement normal ones. Anyway i have asked him to look into it further. Fingers crossed....

I too have sent him an email. It would be good to know what numbers would be required but considering this is a model that has been sold for donkeys years, doesn't look to be slowing down, is Modelsports best seller and shares the gears with the Bugsta, Carnage, Vantage and Outlaw there must be a very healthy market for them.

Thats good. I was going to suggest you doing the same. Surely its got to be worth him knocking a few out and see how they sell. Modelsport already stock his pinions etc so they should be onboard. Could potentially be a good little earner for him.

Yeah like you say would be good to know how many minimum order, and cost etc.

I have sent an email to Modelsport as well to gauge their interest. I really hope that an upgraded version becomes available as for me it is the weakest and most limiting part.

Response from Modelsport

"That is a very good idea, RW recently have been helping us sell the upgraded spurs for the carnage/ vantage/ bugsta etc..

And are currently in the process of doing us some Outlaw spurs for us too.

We could send RW a diff to machine, but the only problem is cost, what would you/ people be happy to pay for a machined hardened steel version?"

This is where I am not sure what sort of price to expect. The HPI hardened versions below contrast significantly in price. At £15 for crown and pinion I would jump at the chance. For £38 it would be too much.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-heavy-duty-final-gear-set-p1x36t-p1x14t-/rc-car-products/20667

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-heavy-duty-final-gear-set-p1x38t-p1x13t-/rc-car-products/20666

...and here is the new spur gear! Didnt realise this was available. I have just bought 4 of the lower quality plastic spur gears:doh:.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rw-hardened-acetal-ftx-65t-spur-gear-vantage-carnage-banzai-hooligan-bugsta/rc-car-products/432730

Edited by Nickarla

3 hours ago, Addwhite said:

I had a reply from Neil at rw racing. He said the best bet is to make them out of hardend steel, he said he can do it depending on demand..... I have told him demand is high and im pretty sure modelsport etc would stock them if available as the gears fit the vantage, hooligan etc too. And they must sell loads of replacement normal ones. Anyway i have asked him to look into it further. Fingers crossed....

What may also be good to know is whether we are talking about commissioning a few directly with RW or whether Modelsport would be interested in placing a larger non fulfilled order with a view to stock them. This would have a bearing on the price as well. What wouldn't make sense is to only commission a few via Modelsport.

Edited by Nickarla

7 hours ago, Nickarla said:

At £15 for crown and pinion I would jump at the chance. For £38 it would be too much.

I'd agree with that. I'd want to do the car (front and rear) for about £30 - £40.
If it worked out at £30 per car then I'd do the boy's Bugsta too (although his is brushed and has never had this problem).

I would also be prepared to pay 30-40 for a complete set. Would be good quality if they were made by rw racing thats for sure.

I didnt know about those spur gears either.... Mind you i dont tend to trash those for some reason.... Im only on my second since buying the carnage.

Here’s a full set of HPI for less than £10 so I have no idea what the prices reflect and what the RW ones would be closest to.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=32854&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvezZBRDkARIsADKQyPlwCz5Bhj6jMb9L1AyI6zlax248yACElYhjDbJDu19PkijgrzINaqAaAndnEALw_wcB

It all depends how they would sell them. For an individual crown gear maybe £10 for a crown and crown drive gear £15- £18 as that would be a complete front or rear upgrade. Two crown gears £20 full set of two crowns and two drive gears maybe £35ish... That would be my guess...

Thought i would give these 2.8" fastrax wheels a go. Little smaller than the standard carnage wheels. So far seem to perform well. Had to go back to a smaller pinion with these. Also had to use some 5mm thick hex nuts as they bind on the hubs with the ftx ones.

I noticed that on my 17mm Absima wheels, well the adapter rubbed anyway. They also wobbled a lot but I think it’s more to do with the car than the wheels. I need to strip it and have a look but nothing was immediately obvious.

Have you heard any more regarding the hardened gears? I’ve had no reply from RW which is disappointing.