• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:20, faffy123 said:

After speaking to modelsport I opted to go for this one https://www.modelsport.co.uk/power-hd-lw20-waterproof-high-torque-metal-gear-servo-blue/rc-car-products/404890

I also ordered servo savers, spare diffs and housings and few other bits and bobs

How is it?

I accidentally superglued my servo saver together while trying to glue the E clip on. The glue ran down the inside and I didn't realise until a few jumps later when the servo gears were wrecked.

23 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

How is it?

I accidentally superglued my servo saver together while trying to glue the E clip on. The glue ran down the inside and I didn't realise until a few jumps later when the servo gears were wrecked.

Only managed to take it out once but it seems very good. Very responsive and a vast improvement on the stock one

On 28/04/2018 at 22:05, Nickarla said:

How long ago did you buy from them? I read that they have changed the way the send them by declaring the price of goods. There is now a much higher chance of paying taxes.

I bought mine in October...so not sure if they have changed anything. Haven't really ordered anything else since then!

Been looking at programing cards for the FTX Vantage as the info is in the user manual. Is one worth money just for casual driving and having fun. I was going to make a list of essential spares and order from Modelsport. Anyone got any advice about the card and which spares to get... Thanks...

Hello folks, 

I've just replaced my first stripped plastic spur on my Brushless Vantage.. I've found on here that people suggest the ally spur on ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132069839891). I have one of those on the way.. I've also been reading that I should also change the pinion gear to an RW version when moving to the ally spur. I think the stock pinion is 23t? 

I've looked for RW pinions at 23t and found there are two types (https://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric-power-pinion-gears/rc-car-categories/9920/992050&MSAttributeID[41]=643&ManufacturerID=48&MSAttributeID[42]=663) 23t 5mm shaft and 23t no shaft size... can anyone advise which one to get? Also if the 23t is the way to go? I want a balance between durability and speed.... if that's even possible! 

I'm keen to replace the wheels and rear wing.... so if anyone can suggest a source for compatible wheels and wings that would be great. I really like the wheel/wing combo on this Vantage from another thread.

I think that covers everything for now :) 

Many thanks in advance...

3 minutes ago, onefourten said:

Hello folks, 

I've just replaced my first stripped plastic spur on my Brushless Vantage.. I've found on here that people suggest the ally spur on ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132069839891). I have one of those on the way.. I've also been reading that I should also change the pinion gear to an RW version when moving to the ally spur. I think the stock pinion is 23t? 

I've looked for RW pinions at 23t and found there are two types (https://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric-power-pinion-gears/rc-car-categories/9920/992050&MSAttributeID[41]=643&ManufacturerID=48&MSAttributeID[42]=663) 23t 5mm shaft and 23t no shaft size... can anyone advise which one to get? Also if the 23t is the way to go? I want a balance between durability and speed.... if that's even possible! 

I'm keen to replace the wheels and rear wing.... so if anyone can suggest a source for compatible wheels and wings that would be great. I really like the wheel/wing combo on this Vantage from another thread.

The opinions you have linked are wrong size. It's the .6 mod you want not dp

6 minutes ago, onefourten said:

Hello folks, 

Here's the pinion you need https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rw-6-pinion-23-teeth/rc-car-products/13762

Let us know how you get on with the metal spur gear. I would prefer to keep it plastic and cheap to save the more expensive and labour intensive drivetrain myself.

I don’t think the standard gears are the strongest and would prefer the spur to go before any of the internal gears every time.

In my experience these...
898CFEB275FCC2068A81CA4685863D18.jpg.3b272fe6282be15361361758a0bd7b0f.jpg

...seem to be made of cheese.

I bet I've replaced half a dozen of them over the last couple of years.

I've also replaced a couple of stripped plastic spurs which is why I changed to a metal one.

I haven't noticed breaking the diff drive spurs any more regularly since changing to a metal spur. I find that they lose teeth regardless. The front one in particular.

I suppose it happens when I smash one of the front wheels into something solid at full pelt (as usual). If that's the case then I'd think that a plastic spur gear is probably too far down the drive-train to take the impact and sacrifice itself for the greater good.

Edited by lennylogknob

evening all,

Brother in law stripped my spur gear last weekend, pinion looks a bit chinned aswel so replacing both. Got a standard spur and a rw pinion ready to go.

Is it possible to change the spur gear without removing the rear end? I stripped/regreased and oiled the diffs a few weeks ago and have sealed the housing to the chassis with liquid gasket, don't really want to disturb that so is it possible to get off the other way if I remove blue driveshaft and motor mount etc? 

Cheers

30 minutes ago, doely85 said:

evening all,

Brother in law stripped my spur gear last weekend, pinion looks a bit chinned aswel so replacing both. Got a standard spur and a rw pinion ready to go.

Is it possible to change the spur gear without removing the rear end? I stripped/regreased and oiled the diffs a few weeks ago and have sealed the housing to the chassis with liquid gasket, don't really want to disturb that so is it possible to get off the other way if I remove blue driveshaft and motor mount etc? 

Cheers

It may be possible, but will mean removing the motor mount which will be tricky to flip out from under the slipper shaft bearing and trickier to re-install, there is usually enough flex in the chassis once the top brace is removed to pop out the centre drive shaft, once the motor mount and possibly one of the battery holder mounts are out of the way you should be able to get the spur disassembled whilst in position-- it may be awkward because the spur sits below the level of the chassis in a slot (cut out on older models and covered below on newer ones) but again with the flex in the chassis it probably is possible.. personally i'd just take the rear end off again and re-seal it up much easier and prevents you having to banana the chassis 

Edited by Simmyoto

1 hour ago, Simmyoto said:

It may be possible, but will mean removing the motor mount which will be tricky to flip out from under the slipper shaft bearing and trickier to re-install, there is usually enough flex in the chassis once the top brace is removed to pop out the centre drive shaft, once the motor mount and possibly one of the battery holder mounts are out of the way you should be able to get the spur disassembled whilst in position-- it may be awkward because the spur sits below the level of the chassis in a slot (cut out on older models and covered below on newer ones) but again with the flex in the chassis it probably is possible.. personally i'd just take the rear end off again and re-seal it up much easier and prevents you having to banana the chassis 

Ahh OK will probably be easier your way in the long run, thank you for the quick reply 

Edited by doely85
  • Thanks 1

On 09/05/2018 at 21:49, lennylogknob said:

In my experience these...
898CFEB275FCC2068A81CA4685863D18.jpg.3b272fe6282be15361361758a0bd7b0f.jpg

...seem to be made of cheese.

I bet I've replaced half a dozen of them over the last couple of years.

I've also replaced a couple of stripped plastic spurs which is why I changed to a metal one.

I haven't noticed breaking the diff drive spurs any more regularly since changing to a metal spur. I find that they lose teeth regardless. The front one in particular.

I suppose it happens when I smash one of the front wheels into something solid at full pelt (as usual). If that's the case then I'd think that a plastic spur gear is probably too far down the drive-train to take the impact and sacrifice itself for the greater good.

Yes, they are too weak. I’ve replaced 2 in 2 months!

Edited by Nickarla

On 10/05/2018 at 15:40, faffy123 said:

My bugsta is up for sale if anybody is interested. Check the for sale section on here. Link is below

Also on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTX-Bugsta-Brushless-rc-with-spares-plus-lipo/323249410853?hash=item4b432a9325:g:HFQAAOSwew5a88M1&redirect=mobile

You’ve only just bought it haven’t you? What made you sell?

Edited by Nickarla

13 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

You’ve only just bought it haven’t you? What made you sell?

Yes not had it long. I bought a Basher Berserker (well 2 of them now) and after using a 1/8 th truggy with the size and speed difference compared to the Bugsta it's just not going to get used now. Would rather recoup some of what I spent on it and invest in more lipos, accessories and spares

8 minutes ago, riz-trucksta said:

Hi guys.. i have a quick question about the Carnage rtr packages!

Apart from being brushed or brushless is there any other difference in the chassis and parts?

Yep.. bodyshell is different ? other than that, just the motor and esc battery and charger are different between brushed and brushless versions