• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Hi everyone 

RadshapeRC products are now ready for both the Carnage and the Vantage , please check them out 

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RadshapeRC/Parts-for-FTX-/_i.html?_fsub=23800729014&_sid=689958374&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

thanks

mat

Hi all need some advice please. 

My vantage stopped moving yesterday whilst on grass and now will steer left right but not move at all. 

The on/off switch doesn't switch it off now either, as soon as the battery is connected the ecu fan starts running at full speed all the time and I'll attach a photo of the programming card which doesn't respond to any key presses but has this strange set of lights lit up ?

It it has the stock ecu and motor and was running a 3s battery at the time. Car is about 5 years old and has never had any major probs previously. 

IMG_2408.JPG

@Matt_UK_007 Unfortunately I don't know enough about these systems however I would guess the esc is goosed. 

Do you have a local hobby shop who can help you test if it's the motor or esc that is faulty? Or a friend you can test it with?!  Where about in UK are you? 

When I put my brushless system in, it failed to work however when the LHS tried my esc with another motor and then put my motor back on it all started to Work. I wouldn't have been able to do that my self as I have no spares! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So I bought this part

IMG_0618.jpg.9d1f114a0e7769b9bd066777196dd126.jpg

in order to replace it with the existing one, as the spur was worn.

However, I can't find how to remove the old one. Any tips?

I guess I have to do something in here:

IMG_0620.jpg.9943b41beaa827104ff90b069b822450.jpg

but I have no clue xD

Any help appreciated :)

Are you planning to replace the whole thing or just the spur?

If you want to replace the whole thing, you just need to flick of the C Clip with a flat head screwdriver.

It takes a bit of practice and do it slowly...they are a bugger to find if they ping off anywhere!!!

C clip.PNG

• Like 1

Thanks vimto.

You are right, once you get what needs to be done it's kinda simple. However I'm utterly suprised by how this small piece of metal holds the whole thing together :o

Another question, I just cleaned the whole plastic differential thing from the grease that had, but is it better to keep it clean or put some new grease before putting it in together?

Definitely put some grease back in there, you don't want metal on metal rubbing. 

I used white lithium grease as that what I had to hand. However, I'm sure other people will have their preferences.

While your there, have a look at your actual diffs. 

Also next time when you need to swap the spur gear out, just buy the spur..its cheaper and once you learn how to do once, it will be very easy after that.

Also you do it from the other end, so no C clip to deal with.

I had a spur but I couldn't unscrew the screw from the other end.

I had problems with that screw in the past and I had threadlock in it. So now it was not moving at all...

Once the turns were worn and Allen could not move it I tried to make it flat and then the flat head screwdriver broke it :huh:

I'm not sure if there was anything else to be done than replacing everything. Got any ideas?

IMG_0621.JPG.05b74d6841cbf3f7fe811f7b2fc9501d.JPG

Lol one of the reasons I don't take it out it yet weather! 

Might be worth getting some rubber sealed bearings if you run a lot in yet and dirty environments! 

• Like 1

Hey, 

This is where I bought mine from, I also spoke to the owner and got him to arrange a kit so this should be all the bearings for the carnage. I worked it out as well, its massively cheaper buying the kit rather than buying them individually!

http://rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=15_53&product_id=1733

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

How often are you stripping it? 

You can check the mesh by putting a strip of paper between the pinion and the spur, press them together and tighten. Once tightened, remove the paper and that should give you a near perfect mesh.

I believe there was a spur gear available in the states, however, the downside then is...if your mesh is not good, it will strip the pinion.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/65T-Aluminum-Spur-Gear-for-Quanum-Vandal-FTX-Vantage-Carnage-amp-Integy-i10-/132069839891

Edited by vimto2000

Only just read the last few pages of this thread so not sure if it's been mentioned, but I have a Quantum Vandal from Hobbyking which is the same basic car. I buy FTX Vantage spares when I need them quick, but try and stock up with Vandal spares as they are a bit cheaper... when in stock...

On 11/1/2017 at 14:29, Richard_16v said:

Only just read the last few pages of this thread so not sure if it's been mentioned, but I have a Quantum Vandal from Hobbyking which is the same basic car. I buy FTX Vantage spares when I need them quick, but try and stock up with Vandal spares as they are a bit cheaper... when in stock...

Cheers Richard. There are few other models that resemble the FTX as well. 

I need to remind myself to stock up on a few spares next time I order from hobbyking again like the spurs.