• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Hi I am new here and new to the rc world. I have played with a nitro hpi previously but decided to get one for meself and have found this on ebay 181472432419.

I have being told from the seller it is the ftx carnage obviously with some mods. (I also paid the extra

Biiig thread!  

Just about to join the club, albeit with the Himoto branded buggy (brushed) - the Tanto (it's the same car as the Vantage).  It's probably already been mentioned but the carnage/vantage are the same as the Himoto E10 series - with Himoto offering them (with some changes such as arms/bumpers - there interchangeable afaik) as Monster Truck / Truggy / Short course / Buggy / Desert truck.  As with all the Himoto's the shell is pretty fugly - the vantage one is much better.

Fell on these as I bought myself the older 1:10 Himoto chassis (same as Maverick Strada) to bash around with whilst the Savage is out of action.  The mini me has pretty much nailed driving his TC now (1st RC) so a buggy seems the next step.  Decided on the newer E10 (ftx) chassis as parts of a little more readily available in the UK.  Unfortunately it doesn't look to share many parts with the older chassis so the almost spare truck I've ordered in parts from China for mine won't be any good.  Hey ho.

To save me assimilating the whole thread is there anything to look out for with these?  Essential spares / mods etc?  Anyone running the brushless version or upgraded the brushed to brushless I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the chassis holds up to the extra grunt.

ta

Hi I am new here and new to the rc world. I have played with a nitro hpi previously but decided to get one for meself and have found this on ebay 181472432419.

I have being told from the seller it is the ftx carnage obviously with some mods. (I also paid the extra

Edited by capri-boy

Tyres should be fine on Tarmac - they look worn already - change em when there worn out.   Looks to me like they've swapped out the 2.4g system for some very old 27mhz gear.  Poss the orig radio died and this was all they had spare.  The stock radio is nothing to shout about but personally I'd prefer it over budget 27mhz gear.

Hop up wise the blue alloy looks all stock.  Wheels are different, steering servo has been replaced but to me the seller has exaggerated the mods throughout the truck.  I see they list it both as HSP (another clone) and FTX.  I don't know whether the HSP variant ships slightly different but the FTX / Himoto can be had new for not much more than you paid (unless you collected! that

Cheers for the reply, I didn't collect but got him to throw the charger in aswell. Which new is 40/45 quid. What is the 2.4g system that you talk about? I also looked for the remote that was also another 20 quid extra so didn't think it was too bad a price might be wrong reading that. Might be sent back if this is the case.

It's the radio.  Old radio's (for ground) used 27 or 40mhz (iirc) - you had to use different crystals to avoid interference with other users.  2.4ghz relates to the frequency - I'm not 100% but the signal uses less power for the same range - and they use a tech where you 'bind' (join) a receiver & transmitter together - there's so many possible combinations that a conflict is highly unlikely.  By remote I presume you mean the transmitter - unless you we're going for the vintage look it's obsolete and price is therefore marginal.

Can't speak for the charger - but a good one new (overlander rc6) is around

• Like 1

Hi, I have a local engineering company that will machine me some front shock towers out of ally how ever I have to buy 5, would anyone be interested in buying any as ftx haven't released any yet? If so message me! :)

I would be definitely interested, but I might be able to offer some help as well on this.

Questions I'm having and hence I haven't done this myself:

- What type of aluminium would they use?

- Is there a risk to use too hard ali (6000 series with T6 hardness) ? Would other, more complicated parts break first instead of the carbon causing more damage?

- Do you already have a 3D module file of the tower (front or rear) or would the engineering company have to model it (this is where I was way too lazy to do it myself) :)

- What would be the gauge of the ali?

Things I could do:

If you have a 3D module file, then I could laser it (instead of machining) out from 5251 ali, 3-4 mm, depending on what we have on stock.

This would be for almost no cost as we have the laser machine on site and all I have to do is to beg the laser guys to run some.

Same applies to the bottom plate. If anyone have time to model it, I could laser it out (maybe this would have a minor cost but only because it's a bigger part).

Hi mate, I've got the Carnage (truggy version of the Vantage).

You don't need to do too much upgrading....well, not straight off.

I got the carbon shock towers, alloy bodied shocks and anti-roll bars and that's all you really need.

I also changed all the bolts to a stronger hex head type, as I found the kit fixings a little soft.

I modded the battery compartment to fit 3s lipo batteries, made a cover to protect the spur gear on the underside of the chassis and picked up various pinions to change the gearing options.

I would look into stocking up on some spares such as body posts (you will snap these at some point!) and a spare couple of spurs won't hurt as they are exposed to stones and dirt.

Is your Vantage brushed or brushless?

Cheers

Kingpin

Edited by KingPin
  • Like 1

Hi mate, I've got the Carnage (truggy version of the Vantage).

You don't need to do too much upgrading....well, not straight off.

I got the carbon shock towers, alloy bodied shocks and anti-roll bars and that's all you really need.

I also changed all the bolts to a stronger hex head type, as I found the kit fixings a little soft.

I modded the battery compartment to fit 3s lipo batteries, made a cover to protect the spur gear on the underside of the chassis and picked up various pinions to change the gearing options.

I would look into stocking up on some spares such as body posts (you will snap these at some point!) and a spare couple of spurs won't hurt as they are exposed to stones and dirt.

Is your Vantage brushed or brushless?

Cheers

Kingpin

thanks for the tips, i have a brushed vantage, and i will be getting some spares this weekend,

one other thing is there a guid on what all the different buttons do on the transmitter cause like i said I'm a beginner and apart from left right forward and back i have no ideal what all the buttons do on the controller, and is there away to set the speed on the control so no matter how much u pull the trigger the speed is set or is there better transmitters out there that can do this, just cause my 5 yr old won't stop going on about it his turn,lol 

Also what charger would I need to charge this lipo battery and preferably it would be able to charge nimh aswell http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__216__408__Chargers_Accessories-Battery_Chargers.html?gclid=CLzois71icACFVIPtAodtmIA3g

They do seem quite cheap I am guessing hobbyking is safe to use?

I'm really sorry but this a third question does the standard controller with the ftx have the 3v warning in it to stop myself from ruining the lipo battery? Will everything else be ok to run with lipo without screwing it up?

So I spoke to hobby craft using there chat and because the ftx isn't a car they don't sell he couldn't help me out to much but he has said that if the 5000mah battery will fit and work with what I have it will be fine and recommended buying http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18588__Hobbyking_2_8S_Cell_Checker_with_Low_Voltage_Alarm.html and buying this charger http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__35350__Turnigy_dlux_AC_DC_130W_10A_6S_Balance_Charger_Discharger_with_Accessories.html if anyone can confirm whether this will all work fine or have any other ideas please let me know I am a bit concerned with the charger as he linked another one before this one and the reviews say it doesn't come with a manual. I am very very new to this and am a bit stuck

What motor / esc combos are people running? Currently have Etronix Photon 2.0 9T running on 2S lipo in a Carnage and Vantage pro. They are not true 540 cans and want a bit more out of the Carnage. Have already played with gearing but it's just masking the problem that these small motors aren't really up to the job. Suggestion?

I'm running a hobbyking 60a esc with a quicrun 3800kv and 17t in my carnage.2s is great not tried 3s yet

Thanks for the reply. Might take a look at that motor (around

I'm not sure how difference you'll see in the motors,I went from brushed to this set up so the difference for me was night and day. The carnage is a great little truck but it does have its limits, something like a hyper 7 is a lot more capable,can't comment on the mt sport as reliability hasn't been proven yet.

Though if hobaos other cars are anything to go by it'll be a tank :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure how difference you'll see in the motors,I went from brushed to this set up so the difference for me was night and day. The carnage is a great little truck but it does have its limits, something like a hyper 7 is a lot more capable,can't comment on the mt sport as reliability hasn't been proven yet.

Though if hobaos other cars are anything to go by it'll be a tank :)

Thanks hyper-d, agree with your comments. Looking forward to hearing peoples feedback once the Hyper MT is released. The most challenging part will be convincing the wife I need another car! Having just purchased an Audi A6 Black Edition + having the 4 rc cars I have now will make for an interesting discussion!

Hi guys, I'm setting up a used carnage for my mate that he bought off eBay, looks barely used with not a speck of mud on it although there were 2 bent shock shafts and a few loose grub screw which had slightly chewed the outdrives

That's all sorted now however I am struggling with the esc as it is the old photon sbs and not the 2.0 which is what I have in my efirestorm, this means I cant use my program card, so can I manually program the esc or do I have to get another card for my mate??

Somehow I managed to get rid of reverse aswell so now that makes me think it is manually programmable even though the downloaded manual says nothing of it :/

Anyway essay over here it is next to my efirestorm :-D

c1be89c9ec05b30fbdf7c9f2a15e6e48.jpg

Hi guys, first post here! Got my Vantage the other day, first step into rc cars, (I've got boats as well) had a few runs out of it and I love it! Really pleased with it so far, Only thing that's bugging me is the ESC capacitors seem to be getting in the way of the body sitting properly, so will have to sort that, and I'm about to buy some tyres more suitable for the tarmac outside, this thread has proved valuable so far! 

I'm also thinking about buying another body, and painting it how I want, I think I'll save that for later though!

Just a quick question, are all the parts that Hobbyking sell for their version of the Vantage suitable for use on a proper Vantage? For the price of them I hope they are!

Cheers,

Steven

Edited by Steven.T
  • Like 1