• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

if your going through pads like that tho your either not tightening it enough or putting to much power through it 

ive found for that tighten it up so spring is really compressed (tight) then back it of 1/3 to 1/2 turn 

Just gave it a quick zip and as far as i can tell it's fixed it, it was the slipper burnt out. I blew my diff on it last week as i had trouble with the nut backing itself off, I've put a new one on now and done it all the way up and then backed it off a full turn, i'll see how i get on, seems to be engaging fine now  but still no wheelies like it was before so may have to tighten it back up half a turn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scottyb said:

ok thanks, i'll tighten it back up to 1/2 a turn. Can't lose my wheelies i just put a wheelie bar on it 😁

Get the priority right   lol 

8 hours ago, Scottyb said:

Thought so

Thanks for trying to help guys, can't test it tonight now i'll have to try it tomorrow, i hope this has sorted it, i've not got any more spare cutch pads now 😁

Morning! Sorry got distracted last night. Well done for sorting it 👍🏻

Edited by Ant.p

I honestly thought the motor had burnt out on it or something coz of the smell but obvs not, I'll have to stock up on some slipper pads and drive gears/bevels just in case lol. Bloody raining all day today so can't try it out properly, 99% sure it's fixed though as it's not screaming it's tits off when you gun it now. 😁

• Haha 2

What's the diameter of the carnage wheels? going to get some a bit smaller than the bugsta but don't want to get them too small. Trying to see if there are any that are a bit better quality than the FTX ones, but can't find much, need some with a similar tread as i don't think the "buggy" spike ones will last long on the gravel in the quarry

Edited by Scottyb

40 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

What's the diameter of the carnage wheels? going to get some a bit smaller than the bugsta but don't want to get them too small. Trying to see if there are any that are a bit better quality than the FTX ones, but can't find much, need some with a similar tread as i don't think the "buggy" spike ones will last long on the gravel in the quarry

Yes carnage wheels are a tad smaller diameter cant remember size though

Just got out before the rain and ran it up the street, was ok when i first pulled off but now it's started doing it again worse than before, it screams and barely shifts now, must be a problem with the slipper as the motors spinning the spur no problem 🤬😡

Shaft isn't moving, spur is spinning freely on it with a little resistance when i accelerate, slipper is done all the way up, I think i just need new slipper pads as they look waxy and are very smooth so they have no grip, i'll buy some new ones and hopefully that sorts it. I've flipped them round for now as the other sides a bit furry and dabbed a bit of superglue on them to stick them to the spur

Edited by Scottyb

I think it is just the slippers knackered, just flipped the pads and it was blasting then started doing it again, got some new ones on the way. I must have had it too loose before and it's just burnt it out

Edited by Scottyb

29 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

I think it is just the slippers knackered, just flipped the pads and it was blasting then started doing it again, got some new ones on the way. I must have had it too loose before and it's just burnt it out

Im finding this odd i run my vantage for speed runs up to 60+ MPH and no issues, have you got both little metal pins in the slipper assembly

Yea i've took it apart and put it back together about 6 times now trying to figure out the issue, even looked at the manual to make sure i was putting it back together properly, not that it's complicated anyway. I've only got the 1 set of pads so i flipped them over but they're not that much better so it was ok for about 2-3 mins then it just started screaming again. Got 3 new sets of pads on the way now so hopefully that will resolve it. You could spin the spur around the shaft by hand before so i'm pretty sure it's just the pads have no grip on them. Like i said i think i just had it done up too loose before and it's just burnt the pads out, The original one i took off turned to dust when i removed it. All the cups are done up with loctite and the diffs are fine so i think it's definitely the slipper

Edited by Scottyb

1 minute ago, Jack Reacher said:

Im finding this odd i run my vantage for speed runs up to 60+ MPH and no issues, have you got both little metal pins in the slipper assembly

I think speed runs don't cause so much stress to the slipper clutch then bashing around with constant speed changes.

Provided that you accelerate calmly to reach max speed.

I think the slipper clutch goes faster if you are constantly accelerating and braking.

For mine I never found the right level of tightening the screw. Ended up tightening at full.

Anything less and the clutch was gone after a few runs.

I remember a post here long ago that mentioned either full tight or constant pad replacement.

Having tightened it full, I accepted the risk of other damages along the drive train....

When I compare the power of my Carnage with the Hobbywing ESC to my Rustler, it's about the same.

But then the Rustler uses aluminum pads that are much better than the Carnage ones.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jens said:

For mine I never found the right level of tightening the screw. Ended up tightening at full.

I think when the new pads come i'll do it up to full and just loosen it off the tiniest bit like 1/8th a turn or something. Atleast 3 sets of pads might last me a couple of weeks haha. Still waiting for diff gears to come back in stock so i can order some just in case aswell

Edited by Scottyb
  • Like 1

Ok ok    so posty comes with a pass the parcle parcle   . Open one box    get a smaller  one   then opens another box get the hobbywing box   open the hobbywing box  get two boxes    opens the two  smaller boxes   

Got bored  

Went out for food 

So come back home 

Takes out the hobbywing motor   fitted the new 17T steel pinion  all ready had the alloy 65T spur gear on the carnage ready . 

Fits the motor then out come the ESC .    Mmmmmmmmmm wrong    battery plug .. I asked for Dean's    connector   

Yes we have them in stock ok thanks  just as well I bought 2 sets of connectors to change outlaw over from Nimhs to lipos . 

So messed about changing the plugs . 

Fitted the ESC . Then spots one wee cable ????????? Aaawwww crap got to go into the motor . Fiddles with that ( NO IM not looking at the instructions guys dont do that )  

So motor on esc on wee plug in 

Battey fitted 

Turns on the  controler  then the carnage . 

Mmmmmmmmmm 

I'm sending there with my bash crasher daughter  

And the carnage TAKES OFF ALONG  THE PATH  hits the small ledge (end the path start pavement  takes fight ) 

By now iv got my finger in reverse to stop this   but it's all ready flying over the pavement and in to next doors car door 

Ok so what wallys didnt tell me that   hobbywing motors  run on jet fuel 

This thing is ruddy mad . 

No chugging  even in grass just about 12 inch high   yeaa yea  iv not cut the grass for 2 weeks   . 

What speed am I looking at with this thing now . .

And now I need a wheely bar .. 

So crap start   ended fantastic 

So if you going.to buy a brusless set up   get hobbywing    

Yea yea   shut up   lol . Now need football pitch  size playing areas   to run this thing . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice, at least you're  getting on with it better now 👍 I think the hobbywing are one of the better value for money wise esc/motors out there.

Still waiting for my slipper, makeitbuildit take bloody ages to post stuff 🤬

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Ok ok    so posty comes with a pass the parcle parcle   . Open one box    get a smaller  one   then opens another box get the hobbywing box   open the hobbywing box  get two boxes    opens the two  smaller boxes   

Got bored  

Went out for food 

So come back home 

Takes out the hobbywing motor   fitted the new 17T steel pinion  all ready had the alloy 65T spur gear on the carnage ready . 

Fits the motor then out come the ESC .    Mmmmmmmmmm wrong    battery plug .. I asked for Dean's    connector   

Yes we have them in stock ok thanks  just as well I bought 2 sets of connectors to change outlaw over from Nimhs to lipos . 

So messed about changing the plugs . 

Fitted the ESC . Then spots one wee cable ????????? Aaawwww crap got to go into the motor . Fiddles with that ( NO IM not looking at the instructions guys dont do that )  

So motor on esc on wee plug in 

Battey fitted 

Turns on the  controler  then the carnage . 

Mmmmmmmmmm 

I'm sending there with my bash crasher daughter  

And the carnage TAKES OFF ALONG  THE PATH  hits the small ledge (end the path start pavement  takes fight ) 

By now iv got my finger in reverse to stop this   but it's all ready flying over the pavement and in to next doors car door 

Ok so what wallys didnt tell me that   hobbywing motors  run on jet fuel 

This thing is ruddy mad . 

No chugging  even in grass just about 12 inch high   yeaa yea  iv not cut the grass for 2 weeks   . 

What speed am I looking at with this thing now . .

And now I need a wheely bar .. 

So crap start   ended fantastic 

So if you going.to buy a brusless set up   get hobbywing    

Yea yea   shut up   lol . Now need football pitch  size playing areas   to run this thing . 

Had the same with mine, the wrong plug  on the esc. Had adapter though, so not a huge problem.

glad you finally got this sorted, and that you can agree now that brushless power walks all over brushed. 

• Thanks 1