• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

1 minute ago, Ant.p said:

On closer inspection, I’m now thinking it could be one of the diffs? I have now fully exposed the spur and it appears intact.

it’s definitely slipping somewhere, as I could hear the grinding sound when the break was applied, and also on acceleration.

In my haste, I had just assumed it was the spur, but may have ordered this unnecessarily 😱

The sound you describe was the same with me today.

Turn the front wheels in parallel. Rear wheel on the floor.

If at some point the rear wheels stop moving, then it is the diff.

Same test vice versa with the rear wheels.

• Thanks 1

@Jens thanks, I’ve done the test, and there is a ‘click’ where there is maybe a tooth missing? Problem is, the same happens both ways. Could it be that both have failed in a single outing? Is stripping the car the only way to find out which end is damaged? 🕕🕙 🥱😞 

Edited by Ant.p

3 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Have done this, and there is a ‘click’ where there is maybe a tooth missing? Problem is, the same happens both ways. Could it be that both have failed in a single outing? Is stripping the car the only way to find out which end is damaged? 🕕🕙 🥱😞

Remove the top plate.

Take out the 4 screws below the axle.

Lift the complete axle out.

Diff gears will be visible.

Turn and check for missing teeth.

Edit:

Clicking happens both ways even if 1 diff is damaged. Sorry for the confusion.

Watch the center driveshaft moving.

Edited by Jens

7 minutes ago, Jens said:

Remove the top plate.

Edit:

Nice one, thank you. Yeah, I’ve removed the axles a few times which isn’t too much of a chore. I hadn’t realised you can inspect enough without actually undoing the diff casing. 
I’ll report back once I’ve had a chance to take a look. I just don’t have the time/enthusiasm tonight.

@oscart2005looks like the RW Racing spur gears are solid after all 👍🏻

Edited by Ant.p

41 minutes ago, Jens said:

Remove the top plate.

Edit:

So I’ve had a look. I couldn’t leave it as it was going to be on my mind until if got to the bottom of it...

it’s the front diff for sure, there are 2 teeth missing from the diff drive ftx6230. Haven’t looked at the back yet, but will do later.

the issue I have is that I cannot undo the grub screw securing the Centre coupling ftx6237 in place. I remember this from when I replaced all the bearings. I managed to do it then by removing the e clip from inside the diff allowing the shaft ftx6227 to be released. 

would you recommend this approach again, or do you have a special way of removing stubborn grub screws?

2 hours ago, Jens said:

A general message to all those that upgraded their Carnages to the Hobbywing Max10 and 3300/4000KV motors.

Or planning to upgrade....

Expect the drivetrain to brake at some point.

My damages until today:

6 CVDs.

2 differentials.

Went out for a bash today and the pinion of the front diff lost teeth again.

I have no idea how to solve the CVD braking/bending without spending a unreasonable amount of money.

For the diffs I found one seller that sells hardened steel pinions for the diff. I will give them a try.

And I cannot allow any slip in the slipper clutch.

With those motors it must be completely tight.

Replacing the slipper clutch with a center diff might be a solution.

I have to say that the FTX Carnages are not made for that kind of power we have now.

Nevertheless: It's fun!!!!

Hi m8 can you post an pic of the parts you bust (diffs ) if it's the parts I think  I have two sets complete sets brand new in packets from ftx . . 

2 hours ago, Jens said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000562336803.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.38533856R4jToU&algo_pvid=62130544-3f54-434b-9c10-8b1714e4ce9b&algo_expid=62130544-3f54-434b-9c10-8b1714e4ce9b-0&btsid=2100bdd816162625424864064eb4df&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Basically, the Carnage is made by VRX Racing in China.

They offer upgrades that never make it here for sale.

You can search Google for VRX Racing and get to their homepage.

But it is extremely slow and not https://. Some browsers don't like it.

I got the FTX ones of these  1 packet . 

Just now, Iain .R said:

Here are these any good 

16162707449563065664921826443832.jpg

Yep, they’re the parts i ordered an hour or so ago! 

I realised that teeth were damaged on ftx6229 aswell, so thought it was best to replace all of it... an expensive day out today

4 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Here are these any good 

Out of curiosity, are you selling them? If so, how much for? It’s possible my rear diff needs treatment as well, although I think it’s unlikely on this occasion. What is likely is that this will happen again, especially having two carnage’s on the go. Would be nice to have these parts ‘in stock’. Surely the same applies to you though?

6 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Yep, they’re the parts i ordered an hour or so ago! 

Bu44er . How much did they cost you  I paid over £43 for these .  

If anyone can use these £37 free UK postage 

Out of curiosity, are you selling them? If so, how much for? It’s possible my rear diff needs treatment as well, although I think it’s unlikely on this occasion. What is likely is that this will happen again, especially having two carnage’s on the go. Would be nice to have these parts ‘in stock’. Surely the same applies to you though?

I would if my carnage was running     lol if it's just one you need I have a used spare  you can have for the postage . 

Just now, Iain .R said:

I would if my carnage was running     lol if it's just one you need I have a used spare  you can have for the postage . 

Ah, thanks for the offer, but for the effort it takes to change them, I’d rather know it’s in new condition to give it the maximum lifespan.

I paid £14.24 for the diff and £7.59 for the drive gear from Wheelspin models.

Jens you bought yours . 

The spare I have is off a low used carnage  when my daugher crashed an snapped the chasis she also snapped the screw hole on the tower casing  so I had to buy a 2an hand one so I could have the plastic casing   as the top plate was not been screwed in to firmly due to the one screw been snapped . 

So have the big cog small cog and the 2 small c clips . Your welcome to them  rather buying all the packet stuff just for one . If jens  not bought his yet I'll see if he wants them or if you want them    

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Ah, thanks for the offer, but for the effort it takes to change them, I’d rather know it’s in new condition to give it the maximum lifespan.

I paid £14.24 for the diff and £7.59 for the drive gear from Wheelspin models.

So you paid £36 plus postage . Ok so £33  free post .   

3 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

So you paid £36 plus postage . Ok so £33  free post .   

I only ordered 1 diff. But yes, postage was on top.

The one i had m8 it was mint i dont think it had been used  in think it was stripped in to bits on open the box   but up to you m8   it's free just for post   cheers 

Edited by Iain .R

2 hours ago, Jens said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000562336803.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.38533856R4jToU&algo_pvid=62130544-3f54-434b-9c10-8b1714e4ce9b&algo_expid=62130544-3f54-434b-9c10-8b1714e4ce9b-0&btsid=2100bdd816162625424864064eb4df&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Basically, the Carnage is made by VRX Racing in China.

They offer upgrades that never make it here for sale.

You can search Google for VRX Racing and get to their homepage.

But it is extremely slow and not https://. Some browsers don't like it.

Do they also do similar bits for the vantage or do carnage bits fit the vantage?

2 hours ago, Ant.p said:

would you recommend this approach again, or do you have a special way of removing stubborn grub screws?

I had the problem twice. Once with the Carnage, once with the Rustler.

If you don't get the grub screw out, you need to drill it out.

No choice.

Then replace it. Sad but true.

Edit:

Don't use a Dremel. It's easier, but you can damage the driveshaft.

Drilling will literally take hours. You would need to use left hand drills.

It's most likely red threadlocker. The most evil thing in the universe.

Edited by Jens
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Hi m8 can you post an pic of the parts you bust (diffs ) if it's the parts I think  I have two sets complete sets brand new in packets from ftx . . 

Thanks Iain for the offer.

I already have the hardened steel versions. Ordered a while ago for the previous damage.

It is basically the gear that is connected to the center driveshaft.

51 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Here are these any good 

Yep. The left one is the one broken.

11 minutes ago, oscart2005 said:

Do they also do similar bits for the vantage or do carnage bits fit the vantage?

My guess: 90% of the parts are the same.

Edited by Jens