• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

"scale defender 90" more pics added 16/04 and again 03/06

Gaz!

i love landys , i used to build and compete with them years ago , passed my test in a series2a with a 4 1/2 litre york diesel in it , had a few shotned rangey chassis with v8 buick,s in and still drive a tuned to the max freelander sport , so these landy scalers realy do it for me and when they done good i have to look twice to see if they full scalers , thats a testiment to the quality of the work gone into them , even the visible welds around the base of the front bars is authentic , i have exact same welds showing on my full size bars , unbelivable work ............ truly

yep, still got plans for a 8x8 but its more when than if, i know how im going to do it the lot......

will be around 1 metre long and approx 300mm wide.

its taken since february to get to where it is now, finally finished!! but its been enjoyable every step of the way!

any pics of your 1:1 landrovers?? always nice to see them and gives good inspiration :thumbsup:

sorry gaz they all on paper , lol it was a good few years ago , and we never realy took many pics ??? i dont know why just hapned that way , i got some of the one i drive now , but sadly i will have to dig out the paper ones and try to re phograph them , as it was the days before digital cameras

Gaz, im curious what you used to make the front bumper, and how did you get the 90 degree bends so tight.

the front bumper is 3/4" steel box section (all i had at the time) and those bends were done with a hammer and a vice, i do have a jig now though for the 90 degree bends.

hope this helps, gaz. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

update time,

so i sold kaylan my green c-hubs and knuckles so took the plunge and bought some genuine axial ones in black to match the rear lockouts, whilst i was at it i fitted overdrive front diff gears and a set of banners very own "swords".

the axle is now heavier and seems to have much more steering lock too.

90updatesandchassis1513001_zps1d2b48bb.j

90updatesandchassis1513002_zps2b19ad64.j

90updatesandchassis1513003_zps47297c33.j

90updatesandchassis1513004_zps08e69cf6.j

90updatesandchassis1513005_zps29f32fca.j

90updatesandchassis1513006_zps72e3d9e0.j

90updatesandchassis1513007_zps41e3db3d.j

90updatesandchassis1513008_zps1b42ddea.j

cant wait to test it out again now :hahadance:

• Like 1

cheers :thumbsup:

i keep on saying its done but always find something else to add to it.... :whistling:  :whistling:

next and last for now again is underdrive the rear axle i think........ :yes:  :yes:

little update on the upgrades, yes it does seem to climb better and have much more precise steering too, the whole feel of it now is great, biggest issue on its outing was tyre choice, next time ill drop on the mickey thompsons, they have much more grip!! :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

so time to update the old girl, im really hard pushed to actually use this but now after some searching and a chat with my good mate adz i had another d90 shell.
this now means i can retire the orange shell and just use it for the nationals and have a shell for running and meets...... :whistling:

the plan was to copy my mates 1:1 who i go out laning with but since then i have managed to talk my old man into buying a defender so i have to do a replica of that now :hahadance:  :hahadance:

44589487-4204-4F79-9F39-B5FFE7F23159-278

pics of my progress up soon.....

• Like 1

i have managed to talk my old man into buying a defender

pmsfl nice one gaz :) , i bet he loves it too 

funny thing is now mate, he is like a teenager again :xd:  :xd: looking at accessories and hop-ups he wants for it.......

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

bumping this thread for djmark1984

plus after its disasterous outing at the nats, (that will teach me for leaving it sat 18 months without running it) decided to tear it down, re-grease it, new bearings throughout and make some new links, bit of soldering on the motor connectors and a darned good clean.

hopefully be done soon, all running gear is done and ready, just need to make new links and the rebuild will commence, ill add some extra pics too as i go....

• 1 month later...