• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

E-Revo Brushless combo

Sharkfat78

Thinking about converting my brushed E-Revo to brushless but I don't have a clue where to start.

I don't want it so fast that it wheelies at full throttle, or worse still, cant get to full throttle. And I don't want to get a combo, to then have to turn the throttle down, as to me that's pointless. Obviously I'll be running lipo's so I'm guessing two 2s equal 4s as far as power goes?

If you guys could suggest a nice cheap combo for the start that would be ace, I can work up from there if need be.

Cheers.

You don't want a combo, but you'd like combo suggestions? Ok, depending on your budget, go Xerun or MMM. I prefer MMM, never had a smoker in 4 years of using them. Xerun are great value and can be had in sensored versions, but you won't get the warranty back-up that you'll get from CC.

Aim around the 2000 to 2200 kv mark.

Good luck, keep us posted on your choice.

Oh, a lot of modern ESCs prefer speccy, when I converted mine I had several runaways until I switched from 27 meg to 2.4 gig.

Edited by The Admiral

You don't want a combo, but you'd like combo suggestions?

Not sure where you got that from dude...lol

I just want to be able to buy a combo where all the parts are compatible, bung it on the car, and not have to turn down the power because it flips on its back when you look at the throttle. I don't know the first thing about motors and ESC, which is why 90% of your post went straight over my head...MMM? CC? Sensored? kv?

I literally have no idea :huh:

Not sure where you got that from dude...lol

I just want to be able to buy a combo where all the parts are compatible, bung it on the car, and not have to turn down the power because it flips on its back when you look at the throttle. I don't know the first thing about motors and ESC, which is why 90% of your post went straight over my head...MMM? CC? Sensored? kv?

I literally have no idea :huh:

Hmmm, I'd still aim around the 2000 to 2200 mark, there's a whole myriad of changes you can make to the ESC in its settings. An 1800 will be quick, but lack top end. A 2650 kv will not cope with the load unless it's geared right down. If you went for the Castle Creations (CC) Mamba Monster Max (MMM) 2200 combo and found it too much, you could always run it on 3s, that'd tame it.

I checked that out on modelsport and it costs practically as much as the car! I'm just looking for something cheap that gives me a speed/power increase over the standard brushed set up. I bought an Ezrun combo for my Blitz and that works fine for me. But because I don't have the first clue when it comes an upgrade, I don't know what to search for.

Edit: Maybe something like this. Is it suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EZRUN-150A-ESC-2350KV-BRUSHLESS-MOTOR-PROGRAM-CARD-SET-/220777200194?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item336758ba42

Edited by MarcusF

m8 i just bought an erevo brushless... if u dont want it to wheelie, then dont get a brushless combo.....

welll mine, on NiMh, will wheelie onto its spoiler, and on 4s... welllll............... MINE IS BACKFLIPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a e revo with plenty of space and not really needing sensored since your not racing it i'd go for a 2000kv Leopard and a Ez Run 150a.

Thats what i ran in my E revo and now its in my CRT. :)

Edited by domcharlton

the combo you have linked yourself is also fine.

KV refers to the amount of time a motor will turn per V (Volt). so in this instance on the 2350kv motor, the motor will turn 2350 times with 1V of power, this means that on 3s (11.1V) the motor can/will turn 26085 times per minute

Edited by cyberdog-styles

Thanks for explaining Cyberdog :thumbsup:

With the Revo having two battery compartments I thought 2 x 2 cell lipo's equalled 4s? So how do you get 3s? Am I missing something totally obvious here? And with these conversions do you need any kind of mounting parts or anything like that?

I don't mind it wheeling, but I don't want it to be so fast and powerful that wheeling and flipping on its back is all it does every time you tap the throttle.

It's not at all like that, it's only like that if you mash the throttle. If you have a good trigger finger it's very easy to drive even on 6S ;)

Thanks for explaining Cyberdog :thumbsup:

With the Revo having two battery compartments I thought 2 x 2 cell lipo's equalled 4s? So how do you get 3s? Am I missing something totally obvious here? And with these conversions do you need any kind of mounting parts or anything like that?

You can fit 5000mah 3S packs in the battery compartments just fine buddy :)

Run two 3S packs in series and you get 6S.

You can also run a 2S and 3S in series to get 5S. I like running 5S, not as harsh as 6S but fast!

kV in terms of motors does not stand for kilovolts.

Kilovolts is volts x 1000.

kV is RPM (1k (1,000)) per Volt :)

So a 2000kV motor will turn 2000 times a minute at 1 volt and so on.

Motors of around 2000kV are well suited for trucks and truggys.

The lower the kV, generally the more torque the motor will have, but your max rpm will be less so you have to gear up.

Overall, a low kV and high voltage setup will be quicker than a high kv low voltage setup.

People generally get the lowest kv they can thats suited to their needs. ie some people don't have space to run a large pinion, so get a higher kv motor. others have less space for the motor, or are limited to lower voltages due to battery space etc.

To be honest you can't go wrong with an XE-Run 150A 2000kv combo or a MMM 2200kv combo.

Both are great. A lot of people on here hate Castle, I'm not one of them so I'd go for the MMM as you have a fantastic warranty. However the XE-Run is cheaper and generally regarded to be more reliable.

Your choice!

Edited by revorocks

Thanks Revo!

I have a 2s 6000mah that I use with my Blitz so I figured on getting two more of those to start with. That way I can use them on both cars, or upgrade them on the revo later if I want a bit more power.

I might get my head around all this electric lark sometime this year :D

Thanks Revo!

I have a 2s 6000mah that I use with my Blitz so I figured on getting two more of those to start with. That way I can use them on both cars, or upgrade them on the revo later if I want a bit more power.

I might get my head around all this electric lark sometime this year :D

My sig, you will click, the Erevo faq & Tutorials page, you will read....

All the advice about batteries, gearing & motors & esc selection you could possibly want is in there; a valuable one-stop resource you can refer to whenever you need info ( can't cover everything but it covers most aspects of setup ).

Personally, I'd just go for the Hobbywing 150amp XErun esc & 4274 2000kv motor- perfect choice for 4s lipo, works fine on 6s lipo but the power will be intense- great option for a drop-in

• Like 1

My brother has just ordered the Turnigy 150a and 1950kv brushless combo. Is it just a rebadged Ezrun? and is it any good in an Erevo?

Link?

The Turnigy Trackstar is not a rebadged hobbwing esc, no- its from a difference source ( poor copy of the MMM & Tekin RX8- very mixed feedback ). If it's a different esc & motor you're talking about then pass ( the trackstar motor gets good feedback, it;s essentially a rebadged Tenshock motor ).

Another vote for the XERun, Racers may turn there noses up at them cos there not a Castle or Tekin, And put aside all the the racers waffle about smooth throttle response this, And inconsistent braking that, I think in the XERun you possibly have one of the best and most reliable ESC on the market at the moment, And with what Hobbywing is turning out at the moment they are going to surpass the Castles of this world in the not to distant future, Well they already have when it comes to reliability.

There that good I.m after number 3, So who knows the cheapest place to get a 150Amp XE or EZrun Controller.

Just one more thing, Don't get the combo you linked to, That is the old discontinued version 1, Which was known to smoke a wee bit.

• Like 1

Sorry to drag this up, Trying to make up my mind, I've already got a couple of 80amp XERuns, But want a 6 cell capable controller,

My choice is the 150 XE or EZ, There both the same price all but a pound(With the EZ being the dearest,Which I don't get), and I know the difference between them, Now I stick with what I know and what I know to be reliable and get the XE, But I fancy a bit of a change so am dragged towards the EZ, Has anyone got this new EZRun Ver2 pro, And is it as good as the XE other than not being sensored.

Do you know what the difference is between the xerun sensored and non-sensored motors? Im looking to get the same combo but im not sure which one to get. Is there any performance difference between the sensored and non-sensored motors?

Do you know what the difference is between the xerun sensored and non-sensored motors? Im looking to get the same combo but im not sure which one to get. Is there any performance difference between the sensored and non-sensored motors?

You would need the esc to be sensored too in order for it to make any difference- a sensored motor without the sensors hooked up functions exactly the same as a sensorless one. The advantage of being sensored though is that you should ( in theory ) get smoother take offs and better low-speed crawling speeds. The issue being though that some cheaper sensored systems are no smoother than a good sensorless system- it very much depends on the quality of the hardware & software algorithms.

For a typical basher, I'd just say go sensorless as I doubt you'll notice the difference, unless you plan to do lots of driving at 1-2mph everywhere...