• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Simple paint question

A Return

Im going to start painting my first clear body this weekend, its a proline bulldog for Losi 8ight. I have a simple question. Ive noticed some of the cars on here have window surrounds, but my masks are one piece for each window. What would be the best way to cut the masks to get this effect, before they go on the car and stick them on in two pieces, or after the car is painted carfully cut them, peel the outer off and then spray before removing the rest?

Ive no doubt this will be the first of many questions, i hope to do a decent job of it, hope you guys can help a beginner out. Ive done plenty of 'normal' car spraying so it know the basics. Cheers.

Hi there im only 15 and my dad does car car restoration and spraying so I learnt from him,the best thing to do is to get some tamiya masking tape to mask up the windows leaving a line around the windows to get a frame, DO NOT USE NORMAL MASKING TAPE AS IT WILL PEEL AND PAINT WILL LEAK UNDERNETH. Wash the body with washing up liquid nice and warm water after all the masking is done so you won't get any reactions or wipe around to avoid the tape, You spray from the inside only using the rc body paints tamiya paints are the best, don't use Jets paints they react and flake off stay away real bad paints. Have a look on you tube some great vids on there Ive done about 8 touring car bodies now so getting the hang of it Lol. Hope this helps Louis.

Thats great thanks. I was going to go for Tamiya paint, but I ended up going for Custom Colour paint due to colour availability. Ive got a sheet of chequered flag masks which has a sheet of carrier paper with it, so thinking about it I could cut the window masks that came with the body, transfer them to the carrier paper and carefully apply them too the windows. Im going to try a little experimental trick on the body offcuts, and if it works i'll do it too the body, it will be subtle, but I like subtle. Ill check out some youtube vids now, cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And here it is, finnished. Im quite happy with my first attempt with a clear body, dispite my brief Oh-shxt-i-picked-up-the-wrong-can moment. What started out as a standard blue 8ight RTR now looks more like how i want it too

Repaintedlosiandmore162.jpg

Edited by A Return
  • Like 1

Cheers people! And thanks to Louis for the advice. What you may just be able to see in the pic is the cheques on the white, they flow realy well from the front of the car and are plain white on a pearl white background. Looks great when the light hits it, other than that its invisable!