• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Slugsies Hyper 7e conversion

Slugsie

• 1 month later...

Just received the new uncut Hyper 7 TQ Sport shell from MS - YAY Finally an uncut Hyper 7 shell that fits properly!!!!

Got home, got the scissors out, and cut it out for a test fit prior to deciding on the colour scheme.

Thought I'd add a few pics so you can all see what space is available inside the shell...

20120924_173527.jpg

20120924_173537.jpg

20120924_173554.jpg

20120924_173620.jpg

This is with my Turnigy 5000mah 5S lipo fitted. As you can hopefully see even with the connectors running over the top of the lipo there is still some room left in the shell - excellent. One comment though, the suggested cut lines for the bottom of the shell seem way too shallow to me. I've pretty much just cut the lip off the bottom and that seems perfect, exactly overlaps the side skirts and will give me just enough space to add some velcro and hopefully keep some crap out.

So, just need to paint it now. I think I'm just going to go for something simple, some coloured paint splashed/flicked randomly with a white backing. But now that I know this is a good shell I'll get another at some point and have it professionally done by Outlaw Graphics. :)

• Like 1

Err, I pretty much answered that in both the pictures and text. Yes, it's a great fit over my 5S, loads of room. a 6S would also probably fit but the wires would have to go down the side.

I know it's not the most stunning paint job, and not to everyones tastes, but I'm happy with it and that's what counts really. Also, it's only intended as a base and I'll work out some stickers to go over it to jazz it up a bit. You have to remember that the only shell I've had for the last 6 months has been one that was completely trashed and covered in duct tape and looked dreadful, so no matter what this is a huge step up. When you take into account that I have no artistic ability, and it's only my 3rd attempt at painting a shell, and 2nd that was anything other than just a flat colour it's pretty good.

It's a basic marbling (or as pointed out above smokey ;) ) effect, and to do it is ridiculously simple. Clean and mask the windows. Then a light coating of the black paint, making sure to vary the density a little from none at all to moderately dark. Then get a crinkled up plastic bag, and working quickly because the paint is on so thin that it dries very quickly, just dab it all over. Then do lots of thins coats of white over the whole shell. Took me about an hour in total.

• Like 1