• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New ride - MCD W5

psyshow

I realise that although if you were to swap them around, there wouldn't be any difference. The MCD isn't as robust as the Losi, the MCD in the right hands is a very competitive car - not everyone has "the right hands" though.

I realise that although if you were to swap them around, there wouldn't be any difference. The MCD isn't as robust as the Losi, the MCD in the right hands is a very competitive car - not everyone has "the right hands" though.

You hit the nail on the head with that last statement!

quite a few in in our group were deciding whether to get a mcd or losi having a go on my mcd helped the decision

Very very true. It was a turning point for me for sure!, i remember not wanting to give it back lol.

It's true, if you gave "john smith" a W5 AND a Losi I think the W5 would loose out on reliability judging from what I've seen at the race meetings since these cars came out.

i do agree. Losi is more of your 'up for anything' type and will take a pounding whilst thanking you for it after. MCD is a differen type all together. It'll give you what you desire but it'll make you work that much harder for it in comparison. Not for all granted but if you put in the effort, you can reap the rewards. I find it a thrill to drive honestly and on track i certainly don't feel like I'm lagging behind a losi or missing anything in comparison.

i do agree. Losi is more of your 'up for anything' type and will take a pounding whilst thanking you for it after. MCD is a differen type all together. It'll give you what you desire but it'll make you work that much harder for it in comparison. Not for all granted but if you put in the effort, you can reap the rewards. I find it a thrill to drive honestly and on track i certainly don't feel like I'm lagging behind a losi or missing anything in comparison.

I might be having the FG SC truck next season so i'll give you a run for your money lol

I look forward to seeing some pic's of that. Only just left camp FG after 4 long happy years with my Beetle / Marder. Alcon drive terrain, alloy this that and the other. lovely ride. After we started at Thunderfields, it became apparent it just didn;t have the ride height to deal with it so begrudgingly I sold it. not any easy choice so just as well I'm happy with the W5.

I still maintain my Losi is just a great handling large scale BUT I've no direct experience of a W5, hence my interest in learning what makes them such a good car. Have any of you used a Losi 8ight? My Losi 5ive feels like my Losi eight in terms of handling, just mahoosivly bigger! That's the winning formula!

Well ive raced both the MCD and Losi.

When new the MCD is a great car but once the ware sets in you end up chasing failures all the time. Been there done that.

and it just sucks all the fun out of it. Not to mention the cost.

Now ive done 5 races so far with the losi with not one breakdown. Yes the steering servo can be an issue on high grip tracks

but ive made my own fix for that.

At the end of the day we buy and run what we like, theres no right or wrong .

Just have fun :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I still maintain my Losi is just a great handling large scale BUT I've no direct experience of a W5, hence my interest in learning what makes them such a good car. Have any of you used a Losi 8ight? My Losi 5ive feels like my Losi eight in terms of handling, just mahoosivly bigger! That's the winning formula!

lol, I'm not taking anything away from losi honestly. If you read through my previous posts on this thread, I have not once slated it either. I can't. I see them drive every weekend and the beating they take shows an amazing piece of durable engineering at work and a worthy contender on the track. Especially out of the box, they done you guy's proud. I have often voiced my dissatisfaction at the cosmetic implementation on the W5, I do not hide that fact because it is a joke. when you look at what they did with the race runner, shell fit's snug, body posts well mounted - I was extremely disappointed with the quality of how they implemented those things on the W5. However, it does handle nicely and does what I want it to do and what I feel it should be doing. Sure, it suffers some rear bed bounce compared to the Losi but that's a weight factor. Just got to balance up what I have and take it to the track. For me personally - I'm happy with what's under the hood.

Is there any chance of you guys bringing thunderfields on line for BRCA events?

It's not our call mate. RAW Racing found them by pure luck just after the council started getting really anti. Then these guys appeared from now where after hearing about us and invited us down to a track they were building. It was a god damn miracle it happened to be honest. Very passionate crew at Thunderfields with stacks of ambition. Really nice bunch of blokes as well who are compitant drivers (both losi may i add :) ). Thunderfields I think will always remain a private venue but that's not to say the team behind it aren't interested in something that would accomodate events like that and a WHOLE lot more.

I actually found the losi easy to drive but it feels heavy to drive and under steers too much. It could just be where I was used to driving the v4.

Lighter on the fingers? not as much weight to swing back around in the corners?

I've talked to one of te works drivers today regarding my rolling issue , Steve from Rossmods says to lower the pin to the bottom setting on the wishbones and that should cure it

Just out of curiousty, what surface are you running on?

And to anyone who can answer this - does anyone know what the W5's stock shock oil is out of the box?

look like these guys bash not race

Bit of quick snap judgement mate lol. The clue is in the title 'RAW' racing. it has many forms. RAW being in the style we race, and RAW also breaks down to down to 'Rag'it And Win racing. It works on many levels lol. Are we BRCA regulated? No, Does that mean we can't race? No. We race what we want and how we want. It's a very relaxed approach to racing which open's the experience upto anyone and everyone who want's to give it a try. We're not 'pro's' in the sense there is a league I grant you that. That doesn't mean we're not having any less fun or not contending against each other with non race legal pipes. If you've got it - run it! Unregulated racing. It's in the sig :thumbsup:

Edited by psyshow
  • Like 2