• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New ride - MCD W5

psyshow

Im hoping to have it ready for Sunday. Interesting times ahead that's for sure! Im thinking the tide design (nascar). Loads of space in this to make it work and the colour pallet is quite punchy. i designed one for ed`s fg but he has switched to mcd this week and the shell never went into production. me thinks it`ll suite this nicely.

• 3 months later...

Now sporting a Magic bullet pipe, Zenoah 4 Bolt with ESP Championship Top End Kit, changed outter gear ratio of 30/33, alloy lower rear diff holder and a couple of FT graded parts. Only just fitted the ESP head and had a chance to use it thise weekend. Performance was absolutley amazing and for

He has had a few problems. Can't remember exactly what's gone wrong I think he broke a wheel possibly a diff housing + a few other bits.

On my v4 I've broke a wheel,front body mount 2 drive pins and I shattered the Cvd cup.

Still the best handling car I've owned

420937_10150638835783145_689733144_9333777_1435878136_n.jpg

422091_10150638840243145_689733144_9333833_1575758741_n.jpg

Edited by naon-deano
  • Like 1

Looking good bud , nearly as good as mine , any issues as of yet ?

Lol, nearly?? ;)

Problems?? Problems?? hmmm, let me see. That'll be a hell yeah!

I will give a VERY honest opinion on my experience with this car so far. Both the pro's and the con's. The con's first though.

CON'S

1) The shell is very much an after thought by MCD. They have looked at the frame of the V4 and figured out away of bolting a SC shell on there. It's very poorly implemented and the holdings for the shell are a bit of a joke if I'm honest. The plastic the creates the area in very very thin and flimsey. A few tumble's (this is supposed to be a short course so jumps must be expected!) and they brake off. Very badly designed.

2) The front and rear bumpers suffer from the exact same issue. They again weren't very generous with the thickness of the plastic. The bumper's them selve's are very flexbile, although I'd argue if they have enough give to actually stop anything though. It's the brackets the bumper sit's on to that is the issue. Just very weak, thin plastic. The light's on front? Well, I think you can guess the pattern with them as well.

3) the 5 spoke wheels - again, very thin plastic. Not sure what they were thinking here. First day out I had a very small accident and was amazed at what happened. on top of that i have blow the rear diff carrier and bearings.

PRO'S

It is an AMAZING car to drive. The handeling on this thing is unreal. It doesn't feel heavy to drive (like some Sc's out there) and the response and control is top notch. Locked centre diff allows for some nice sliding around corners whilst taking full advantage of the 4WD system. The speed is phenominal and I'm running with a VRC Magic Bullet pipe and 4 bolt zenoah. i have been blown away by the performace. It eat's the terrain surface with plenty of options for making those fine adjustment's to car stability. The implementation on how you make those adjustment's is very hassle free as well. The ESP head is something else as well and has made it a killer combination with 30/33 gear ratio.

After I got over the poor implementation of the cosmetic design, I was blown away by the performance. Apparently MCD are releasing V2 parts which address most of the concerns raised above.

Edited by psyshow

I've a problem with it rolling over in not so tight turns , do I need to adjust the camber ?

Shell is flimsy and I've reservations regarding its after thought design . Still only had 2 tank full through her so not driven it in anger yet

My Losi 5ive has been a revelation in terms of sheer pace that you can carry over a 'lap' compared to the Baja's I bash with. You could say its a little sterile compared to a RWD Baja, but its certainly very composed and accomplished as well as being pretty resilient so far!. If your saying the W5 is better I'm amazed! In what respect is the W5 better handling than the Losi? If its as good as you say, MCD should promote the car better as Losi is creating a lot of 'buzz' at present.

Agreed Dwarfy. There are 4 MCD W5's plus 2 MCD V4's with over 6 Losi's attending RAW @ Thunderfields at the moment. I think most would agree down there that it's always an interesting showdown between the 2 brands. They both have pro's and cons. losi is a hell of a lot more durable and can take a punishment. No one ever goes 'oooooh' when a Losi rolls because it'll just get straight back up. The MCD on the other hand is a lot more lighter & delicate. But in the world of full scale racing - so is an F1 car but that doesn't make it any less race worthy......

Edited by psyshow

Stevo from Rossmods races the W5 and is consistently on top of the pile. Ive seen them in the shop and they look awesome up close :cool:

Stevo is a good driver and would be in the top 5 with a Losi FTX or MCD so it's not really a good comparison. The MCD W5 is a buggy in SCtrucks clothes as with the FTX punisher & destroyer - give or take a few plastic bit and wheels. The Losi is a stand alone car and isn't derived from anything else largescale. There is a french made buggy conversion which is being used at the Euros this year but it looks like a different car when you take the lid off.

Stevo is a good driver and would be in the top 5 with a Losi FTX or MCD so it's not really a good comparison. The MCD W5 is a buggy in SCtrucks clothes as with the FTX punisher & destroyer - give or take a few plastic bit and wheels. The Losi is a stand alone car and isn't derived from anything else largescale. There is a french made buggy conversion which is being used at the Euros this year but it looks like a different car when you take the lid off.

Yes but in fairness he races against Losi's driven by other good drivers!