• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Slugsies ongoing battle with a HPI Savage XS

Slugsie

No special software, I used images off the web as references and setup a template from them, I then used a program called paint.net to drew my designs over the top.

I really like the idea of one with a rear wing, I wonder what that would do to the truck? I also like the jaguar design, looks great on screen, not sure how easy they would be to do though. :(

I think the easy way out is the monster designs as you can get the decals of eBay quite cheap.

Good job on the templating, it really looked like you had used a bit of software to 'wrap' a design around the body.

I think the right wing probably wouldn't harm the truck, especially if you get one with relatively low downforce. However I wouldn't be hopeful of it lasting long in a roll over to be honest. My current body is already showing signs of the rear taking enough hard hits that the suspension tops have started to push through the bodywork!

lol is that what that is, I never realised, I too have the same thing happening to my shell.. the rolling over thing is a bit of a pain, looks nasty as it rolls over a hundred time down the road... still it keeps on going, says something for the solid build quality...

I can upload the templates I used if you like, they are just black, so you can draw/colour it etc how you like... I think some smart so and so should design a program so we can do our designs easier... I did try Google sketch up, but that was too much messing... looked better in 3D though, but a lot more work involved..

If you press down the back of the truck and look underneath you'll see that the shocks line up almost perfectly. The same happens at the front. I've now got a big gob of shoe goo on those two points to try and stop it getting any worse. I would have liked to keep the rear deck clear on the new body - makes it easier to see the ESC lights - but this little issue prevents that really.

I wouldn't mind those templates please. :) slugsie.mytrousers[at]gmail.com just remove mytrousers to get to a working email address ;)

Got it thanks. :)

I'd definitely recommend it. Given that it was my first attempt at properly jumping anything I found it worked really well. Very controllable in the air, got massive height easily, and took a huge beating. As I recall the only actual damage was a broken drive cup at the end of a good 20minute session.

Hello again, just thought I'd post another update. I got a replacement ESC from HPI yesterday, as a result the car has been reassembled and all is working perfectly. SC8 is still on order though, just in case.

Also tried to fit the T-Bone Racing front and rear bumpers........ the screws aren't long enough!

Also tried to fit the T-Bone Racing front and rear bumpers........ the screws aren't long enough!

Still waiting for mine. The tracking is useless, suggests they haven't moved for about 10 days. :(

Screws not fitting isn't a good sign.

Excellent, I will give it a try sometime, problem is finding a suitable place...

Did you do that trick where you use the brake or throttle to control the landing?,

Yup, because of the large size of the wheels relative to the body it works a treat. I found it very easy to do without any instruction.

Still waiting for mine. The tracking is useless, suggests they haven't moved for about 10 days. :(

Screws not fitting isn't a good sign.

I've ordered some longer stainless steel ones for the meantime, not exactly ideal but there's nothing else out there at the moment...

Hi, I have posted some better images of my savage includes some images of the light mod I did and the new shells build process..

I really would like better stearing... has anyone made changes to theirs? seen a few vids on youtube, but yet to try it..

Looks good. I fitted lights into the light pods on the front bumper instead of into the body. Thinking I might get another pod for the rear and fit some tail lights.

I changed the stock steering servo out for a Savox one which is much stronger and that helped a bit.

Hmm, these were supposed to be red...

IMG_20120120_164330.jpg

That's after sitting in the dye for a good 3 hours. Don't think it's going to get any darker. :(

Oh well, my XS is going to have hot pink shoes on.

• Like 1

Hmm, these were supposed to be red...

IMG_20120120_164330.jpg

That's after sitting in the dye for a good 3 hours. Don't think it's going to get any darker. :(

Oh well, my XS is going to have hot pink shoes on.

i think they look great match them to a blue or white shell and will be bob on mate =]

I reckon blue white and pink would look realy good like norcoforeever suggested :thumbsup: .I am realy tempted to get a set of badlands for mine.I want the extra ground clearance they will give.if i get them i am going to have to adjust the gearing tho .

I'm going to try and find time to paint the body today so once that's done I can see how it looks with the pink wheels. It may be OK, or I may need to apply some black dye to the wheels to really darken them. We will see. Just need to run down to the hardware store and get some painters masking tape.

I fitted the 60t idler to the motor last night, nice and snug. Little bit of grease on the gears and that should be running nicely.

I also started stripping, cleaning, and applying proper diff oil to the diffs last night. 2000wt for the rear 7000wt for the fronts. Should help it change direction a little better at speed.

Oh, and my wheelie bar turned up! YAY! Pity that the T-Bone bumpers they attach to and were ordered several days before haven't turned up yet. Unfortunately the USPS tracking system is pants and hasn't updated since the 6th of January when they arrived in Spokan WA. Weirdly the wheelie bar set off from the same point, but went via LA. I guess I could attach them with gaffa tape. ;) *scratch that* Just arrived, including a

Edited by Slugsie

Well if you want to try I used a sachet of Dylon Rosewood into about 2ltrs of water, a good dollop of salt (although I'm not convinced it's required for doing wheels), and left it on the hob warming it up every now and again for quite a few hours. You might need a very big pan to do a full set of Baja wheels in one go though.

I am giving mine a strip and clean as it got totaly covered in mud when i ran it last week.I am suprised at how rusty the hinge pins have got after just one run in the wet.I have rubbed the rust off but they are realy ruff now.

I am giving mine a strip and clean as it got totaly covered in mud when i ran it last week.I am suprised at how rusty the hinge pins have got after just one run in the wet.I have rubbed the rust off but they are realy ruff now.

I use TF2 lube its got teflon in it which helps stop the dreaded rust and its only a few quid i found it much better than WD40 and stays on longer

Well if you want to try I used a sachet of Dylon Rosewood into about 2ltrs of water, a good dollop of salt (although I'm not convinced it's required for doing wheels), and left it on the hob warming it up every now and again for quite a few hours. You might need a very big pan to do a full set of Baja wheels in one go though.

Best thing to use is RIT dye, you can buy it on ebay for a few quid and it's never let me down for doing RC stuff. Quite like the wheels, real men wear pink and all that! I just bought the stock wheels when I swapped tyres... starting to regret that now!

I use TF2 lube its got teflon in it which helps stop the dreaded rust and its only a few quid i found it much better than WD40 and stays on longer

I grabbed a can of that months ago in a pound shop of all places! As said, it's brilliant stuff. Chain of lubricants now goes TF2 > GT85 > WD40 :rofl:

Edited by Stumungous

I read up a bit on the dyes before doing my wheels. From what I have read RIT dye gets recommended pretty much because it's the commonly available dye in the USA, and there isn't much difference between it and Dylon.

I quite like the colour too, no issue with pink at all. In fact after seeing the wheels I was tempted for a moment to change the overall colour scheme to pink for the truck. If it wasn't for the fact that I had already bought the paint, and I am now utterly skint, I might have done so.

One comment on the lubricants. WD40 is NOT a lubricant. It is great for freeing up stuck stuff sure, and it's wonderful at dispersing water (which is exactly what it was invented for) but for long term lubrication it's a terrible thing to use.

New body painted up, just waiting for the final layer to dry before cutting it out, probably leave it overnight so the paint properly cures. Pretty happy with the results, especially for my first effort. Couple of places where it ran due to the classic noob error of over spraying, but not really noticeable.

IMG_20120122_211726.jpg

Bit of strengthening to add to the rear deck, bonnet, and roof where the suspension posts and roll bar tend to punch through a little. An extra layer of lexan bonded in with Shoe Goo should do the trick. Then stickering up, and we're good to go.