• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Exhaust / Oily Engine / General tuning question

Lewis.

Evening chaps. Car is a HPI Firestorm 10T (earlier one with orange and black flames)

In the absence of after run oil i've been putting a few drops of car engine oil into the beast each night (literally 3 drops), but my after run oil arrived today so will be using that from now on. I noticed a **** load of oil around the exhaust ports and generally on the engine and thought it could be the oil working it's way out of the engine after use. However, tonight I checked the exhaust bolts and they were loose as buggery!! SO, took off the exhaust and gave it all a clean. The gasket cracked and broke (is this usual or do they decay after time, the car is an older model after all), so I used car engine gasket sealant around the port instead (very small amount tidily applied of course). Fitted it all back up and ran the car for a while. I am still trying to get it tuned to perfection. Doesn't seem to be running as mint as it was the other day? It's super sensitive to the adjustment on the needles too. Couldn't go an 1/8 of a turn on the HSN as it's simply too lean! The car seems to like the rich settings for some reason. Also the LSN is uber sensitive (even though it's almost impossible to turn given it's location!) :yucky: Top is generally very good, and there's always a trail of smoke from the exhaust, however, when i lean it off it stutters upon full acceleration (say you apply full throttle from stand still), if I richen it up it's better, but I am trying to improve the acceleration. There's also a fair bit of smoke just on idle, but when I lean off the LSN it doesn't seem to like that either!

Finally I noticed that the idle adjustment screw doesn't really open the throttle more, it just prevents it from closing when you apply the brake. And when you do apply the brake it seems to put a lot of pressure on the throttle arm (bending it slightly)?

Just looking for comments on my observations, and general tips - thanks :)

Exhaust gaskets do go easily. If it not running as well as it was its one of two things- exhaust till leaking or you have fixed it and now need to retune as its getting more pressure passing through the exhaust so running a tad richer than before. They are very sensitive to the tune, any changes can mean a retune.

Throttle and brake linkages prob need adjusting to stop it bending throttle arm.

They are great cars though, love mine

Thanks mate. I have cleaned it up a bit more tonight and the leaking has definitel stopped. Think I'm just about there with the tune now too. Revs seem to drop a little at full chat (say if you maintain WOT for several seconds) so may richen it a little.

Mine did the same with the exhaust. I fitted a new gasket and popped a couple of drops of threadlock on the bolts before tightening. Its never come loose again!

Mine prefers to run rich aswell. Might be a firestorm thing, and cos i use optifuel you should see the smoke when its bombing down the field :) I've tried to lean it out more but it just ain't happy when I try. Cuts and splutters at the top end.

how old is the engine it may be worn. remove the engine hold by the fly wheel and if the engine has good compression when you hold the flywheel it should hold the weight of the engine if it drops the engine is worn. in relation to the throttle arm bending is there any adjustment on the servo. the epa (end point adjustment needs to be set)