• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D drawing thread..sketchup etc..

scrumpy jack

Yes its a 1969 Dodge Charger, working on seeing if its possible to make a shell of one from thin metal. That's from the old pc game rollcage isn't it? Well done, will you be working on building your designs? Should be good to see one built

Most of my projects I do follow through ;)

I am hoping once the design is refined I can make it, It is from the game rollcage correct and what an awesome game it was.

Here is something else I drew up and followed through :

Carbonsavage_zps0e92cfdf.jpg

P1140425_zpse7189058.jpg

• Like 1

Love your truggy project rcaddict, what software did you draw the design on? I'm hopefully going to start working on my hotrod build soon- Going to get drawing a proper chassis today and try to finalise what donor parts I will be using for the suspension and wheels- I've got to sort the wheels first, I need some larger truck rims with street tyres for the rear and was thinking of 1/8 buggy rims and tyres for the front- however they need to match...I'm sure hpi used to do smaller versions of the phatlines and blast rims but Can't seem to find any- I may be mistaken- anyone got any ideas?

Love your truggy project rcaddict, what software did you draw the design on? I'm hopefully going to start working on my hotrod build soon- Going to get drawing a proper chassis today and try to finalise what donor parts I will be using for the suspension and wheels- I've got to sort the wheels first, I need some larger truck rims with street tyres for the rear and was thinking of 1/8 buggy rims and tyres for the front- however they need to match...I'm sure hpi used to do smaller versions of the phatlines and blast rims but Can't seem to find any- I may be mistaken- anyone got any ideas?

I use AutoDesk Inventor 2013 Pro

I'm seriously thinking about stepping up my 3D drawing and would like to buy a program that is better than sketchup and a better renderer than Kirkythea...is there anything that is affordable that will do the job for me? Afordable, as in under say

Many hours were spent playing rollcage on the pc years back rcaddict, it was a very good game with some good cars! What kind of size and parts might you use for it? Didn't the front wheels steer aswell as one side of wheels could turn forward and the other backwards too?

If you check ebay every so often I've seen non student versions of solidworks for less than

Many hours were spent playing rollcage on the pc years back rcaddict, it was a very good game with some good cars! What kind of size and parts might you use for it? Didn't the front wheels steer aswell as one side of wheels could turn forward and the other backwards too?

If you check ebay every so often I've seen non student versions of solidworks for less than

That is stunning james! have you guys started the build yet? ...when you uni bods have finished, can I have a go in it please!! ...oh and lets see some more pics please  :thumbsup:

Yep, well on the way to getting the thing built. Not CAD but:

New chassis:

31933_10151292595513779_1444979834_n.jpg

Diff assembly (on old testbed chassis):

885315_475671685821366_761603990_o.jpg

Zorst:

881971_474521369269731_1142230810_o.jpg

Uprights:

549299_470279809693887_385776642_n.jpg

Getting jiggy with it:

894026_472583012796900_1267057611_o.jpg

Will get some more renders and stuff when I come across them

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought I would do a little update on this thread to get things back on track. I have had a go at using Blender (again a free bit of software) now it's taking me awhile to get my head around this as it's pretty damn powerful and makes sketchup look like a kids program...here's what I have managed to do so far....

A tea cup! - did this by following a you tube video- The render engine with in Blender is very nice indeed...

renderedcup-red_zps399ed0b2.jpg

Next up, I wanted to try some sculpting of characters, as this sort of thing isn't possible in sketchup really...I drew a base mesh, then used Blenders sculpting tool to detail the features- no idea why he has a seem down the middle of his head though! Still a work in progress, I need to add eyes and also hopefully texture in skin, hair etc.

petes-head-fix_zps8dbb78d3.jpg

Here's some random sketchup pics...have been trying to make my scenes have a bit more 'atmosphere' to them, so been playing around with different lighting and background globals a bit.

Dorma2_zps35ffdf29.jpg

cadillac-electronic-shop2-post_zps2ba8ee

f14_zpsa36b4075.jpg

Thought I would do a little update on this thread to get things back on track. I have had a go at using Blender (again a free bit of software) now it's taking me awhile to get my head around this as it's pretty damn powerful and makes sketchup look like a kids program...here's what I have managed to do so far....

A tea cup! - did this by following a you tube video- The render engine with in Blender is very nice indeed...

renderedcup-red_zps399ed0b2.jpg

Next up, I wanted to try some sculpting of characters, as this sort of thing isn't possible in sketchup really...I drew a base mesh, then used Blenders sculpting tool to detail the features- no idea why he has a seem down the middle of his head though! Still a work in progress, I need to add eyes and also hopefully texture in skin, hair etc.

petes-head-fix_zps8dbb78d3.jpg

Did you use a HDR on the mug to get the nice reflections?

Edited by losi fan boy

No , not HDR - it's a new render engine in Blender- I have no idea what it uses, but it's really different than kerkythea's rendering.. I'm  sure they have a fancy name for it! However It seems pretty fast, even on stuff that has loads of reflections and shiney bits  :thumbsup:  the pain in the bum is learning how to use a different program  :shockingscary: 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one I did last night. I wanted to try to get that nice photographic studio style lighting....it worked pretty good, I need to add some more ambient light emitters though, maybe with some different colours to set a nice mood :xd: Oh I also forgot to curve the rear wall-so unfortunately you can still see the corner in the background....

Datsun510-FULL_zps7cd7d0c8.jpg

Datsun510-FULL-bw2_zpsced6981a.jpg

Edited by scrumpy jack

Here's one I did last night. I wanted to try to get that nice photographic studio style lighting....it worked pretty good, I need to add some more ambient light emitters though, maybe with some different colours to set a nice mood :xd: Oh I also forgot to curve the rear wall-so unfortunately you can still see the corner in the background....

Datsun510-FULL_zps7cd7d0c8.jpg

Datsun510-FULL-bw2_zpsced6981a.jpg

These look great dood,did you make the car as well?This thread has reinspired me,so i gave Blender another shot :thumbsup: .So glad i did :hahadance:  

glass6.png

The ice cubes are a bit messy,i  got a bit lost with the particles whilst making the bubbles.This was rendered with sampling set at 150, am gonna try ramping it up to 1000 when i get on a mates cpu,my poor lappy almost had a fit trying to do this one!

love that ice...really nice :thumbsup:  I have statrted to dabble in blender- but it's got a pretty steep learning curve...

The car above (Datsun 510) I edited from google warehouse parts, so credit must go to the original moddeler for the main body. I did spend a long time cleaning it all up and getting the wheels and stance to look right. That image took 3 hours to render at a fairly medium quality...I was going to do some different angles, but my PC also nearly had a meltdown as well :shockingscary: