• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D drawing thread..sketchup etc..

scrumpy jack

Are you guys using v-ray on skethup to render?

Bit of my stuff on Revit :) :

Fair bit of work gone into them!!They look wicked,especially the gym :thumbsup:.

Something im working on,rendered in Kerkythea

rifle92.jpg

I have done a bit of tweeking to my Hi-lux...really want to put some sponsor sticker jpegs on the body, but struggling to get it to work on the curved surface :shockingscary:

pete-Hilux-interior.jpg

pete-Hilux-interior-rear.jpg

Scrumpyjack what software are you using? In most there is a decal button, so you can use a photo, scale it down within the software package and reposition, and it automatically adjusts to the surface

I'm using google sketchup - I know you can apply a jpeg on a curved surface....I can get jpegs to around cylinders - but just can't seem to get it to work on a more complex surface...also when I have added a jpeg image recently, it doesn't seem to show up in kirkythea for rendering...I probably think I've messed up a setting somewhere :shockingscary:

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would get a little 'arty' with my drawings, which also gave me a chance to experiment rendering liquid and glass more realistically...I'm pretty happy how they came out- only rendered in a low-ish setting at the moment....

whiskyknife3-exp.jpg

whisky1bullets2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

it was a uni project for 1st year industrial design...

got a 1st in that module which included 2 other projects...

the model took a while to make but by far not the longest iv spent on solidworks...

• 8 months later...

Very cool, looks like you keep on improving.

Following on from the Formula Student bits I posted up almost a year ago (!), I'm now part of the proper team so I actually get to build the thing. Our Facebook page is here if anyone is interested https://www.facebook.com/WarwickRacing

I'll try and get some nice CAD pictures of it at some point

Just caught up with this thread. 

I'm a design engineer working in 2D and 3D and I am starting to get into 3D printing from my designs. Does anybody else here do 3D printing from .stl files and what kind of results do you get?

Just caught up with this thread. 

I'm a design engineer working in 2D and 3D and I am starting to get into 3D printing from my designs. Does anybody else here do 3D printing from .stl files and what kind of results do you get?

Yeah, we do that at school. 'Good' results but then we have nothing to compare to.

3D printing...I really want to know about how this works, sounds very sci-fi! - I guess the technology will eventually filter down to consumer products...so then, no need to order your 'A' arm on line, just download a file and print it yourself?! So what can be achieved 3D print wise now? - how much does it cost? what type of materials can you 3D print? how complex a product is possible? - I think if this technology gets affordable and in the hands of the general public, then where will it lead. Do I download a file for the Barbie doll my 5 year old girl wants? (and can I print it out at 125%!) - okay that's getting very ahead to complex structures that will 'may require some assembly' interesting thought though.

Scrumpy, you can do complex parts in 3d printing already, I have seen example pieces of a detailed human skull trapped within a 3d print mesh ball all built up as one model with no way of removing the skull from the mesh, the whole thing was only 3 inches in diameter and really detailed.

I have also seen complete engine assemblies modeled in 1:1 scale at work.

As for the 3d modeling i hate to think what i could probably design if i put my hand to it but truth is most of the time i play dot to dot  designing cooling pipe runs and such like at work. Have done a few interesteding things though will see if i can get a piccy or two.

• Like 1

The american's have done this with 3D printers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21754915

Only the Americans could use such amazing technology and think of that to use it for :shockingscary: Impressive yes, but also very scary...

Edited by scrumpy jack

Been having a mess around with some ideas in Solidworks this week with plenty of planes, sketches and surfaces and got these screenshots to show. Any guesses what it is?

gallery_30296_2602_4903.jpg

gallery_30296_2602_60631.jpg

gallery_30296_2602_58331.jpg

gallery_30296_2602_66326.jpg

gallery_30296_2602_58682.jpg

Yes its a 1969 Dodge Charger, working on seeing if its possible to make a shell of one from thin metal. That's from the old pc game rollcage isn't it? Well done, will you be working on building your designs? Should be good to see one built