• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Indoor RC track materials?

humperdingle

Hey guys... Just thinking ahead a little here...

What with the arrival of two Losi Micro 1/36th RC cars at Christmas, there will be a requirement for some sort of track. I'm sure the back garden will be fine for a while, but i'd like to have some gear ready to make a mini (or micro!) track in the living room.

Available space would be around 12ft x 8ft... Not huge, but should get at least a figure 8 or oval.

What sort of stuff do you guys use for track, markers, etc? I'm thinking pipe lagging and copper pipe bent to shape, bits of timber, etc... But i'd like it to be easy enough to pack away when not in use.

Any tips?

Edit: I've seen little discs (rubber/silicone?) laid on the floor on some rc vids... WHat are they called?

Edited by humperdingle

I've been looking at 1 1/4" waste pipe from a plumbers merchant... That stuff is pretty cheap and can be joined with gaffer tape etc, and is really light, two or three times the height of garden hose, and will be good for laying a track outside, too...

Is it sad for a 39 year old guy to be looking forward to Christmas more than his 11 year old? :sweatdrop:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, i've settled on (Despite the excellent ideas) timber for track... 18mm x 38mm. On it's edge, this should be sufficiently high enough to stop a micro scrambling over it. :thumbsup:

This will be held together by hinges and I'll drill holes close to the ends, and use "U" bolts upside down to quickly join the pieces where hinges aren't used. I reckon i'll get away with 4 x 2.7m lengths for the whole track, and it should fold away nicely :whistling:

What about a couple of jumps? I've seen people using ring binder folders face-down for a ramp. Apart from cutting bits of board, what other everyday household objects work well for jumps?

Thanks - Might have some bits of timber left over for a ramp or two.

Anybody know what the turning circle of the Micro-T and Desert truck are? Just trying to design a track, and need to know how tight I can make the corners :thumbsup:

A Micro T will turn in about the circumferance of a dinner plate at low throttle.

A Micro DT is almost the same.

My missus using cardboard and brown tape, made a sort of curved skate park ramp in the corner of the room, and i connected a garden hose track to it.

Awesome fun!

A Micro T will turn in about the circumferance of a dinner plate at low throttle.

A Micro DT is almost the same.

My missus using cardboard and brown tape, made a sort of curved skate park ramp in the corner of the room, and i connected a garden hose track to it.

Awesome fun!

Really? I'd have thought the circle would be larger than that... Maybe a hula-hoop size (No, not the potato based snack)

Couldn't resist... Popped into Homebase on the way home today and got a pack of 38mm x 19mm x 1.8m timber :whistling:

Sawed it up into bits according to my planned circuit and came out with this...

IMG_0425.jpg

track2.jpg

Not exactly to plan, but good enough.

Next job: Some hinges to join bits together, maybe some black/white and red/white stripes.