• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

So near to throwing in the towel with nitro...

Funkyfresh

My 2nd hyper 7 has been nothing but trouble...

I keep flooding the engine and hydraulically lockinging it.. Then the turbofan pin shears off and bits of alloy fill the crankcase. I know this is my fault..

But I just can't seem to get the engine to hold a tune!

My latest problem is that that i flipped the buggy over a few weeks ago. That broke the clutch so that it was catching at idle and thus stalling the engine. Didn't realise this straight away and so stupidly I fiddled with both HSN then LSN

Now the engine lacks both top end and bogs when accelerating.

I thought I'd start to lean the HSN out after richening the LSN to be safe. Top speed seems down, but if I lean it out anymore I don't get any more speed? And then engine stalls all the time?

If I lean the LSN out the accerstion picks up, but it still stalls? End engine runs quite hot. And glow plugs then blow..so that must be running too lean now?

So what am I doing wrong? I think I need hands on help...no hobby shops near me though

It's great when it runs, but compared to my leccy Ultima, it's just soooo much hassle

Hang on, turbofan pin? Please tell me you dont have a turbo on it

All the hyper engines have a turbo one way fan this is why they rev so well, also the crank is turbo scooped aswell but most decent engines have this anyway to aid air/fuel flow.

Edited by martin

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-turbofan-steel-washer/rc-car-products/16148

thats the part he's on about.

if you keep flooding the engine are you priming it correctly? and is the engine new?

if the engine's new you'll maybe find its a lot tighter than it should be hence why your having trouble [even after break in they can be bad]

Thanks everyone for your comments so far...

I do keep over priming the engine, hence the shearing of the turbofan. I have a rotostart, and its difficult to gauge just how much fuel has gone in once the it reaches the carb. Normally I underestimate, then the engine wont start. So I prime some more, but as I say a the rotostart spins so fast, Its hard to prime just a little bit more, if you know what I mean? Any suggestions?

I have tried richening the HSN - and its back where it was when it was running correctly. But still no top end? And the LSN is pretty much right too...I only tweaked the needles when I had the clutch problems, so I know that they aren’t a whole turn different to what they were...

PS. some of you are up late/v early !

dont prime it with the rotostart, take the pressure line off the exhaust and blow into it, you'll feel the difference once the fuel hits the carb, an extra wee puff and it'll be good.

Could you not fit the glow igniter whilst priming so as soon as fuel gets there it fires up and prevents flooding?

nope, you can still flood it, the only way to not flood it is to not put too much fuel in

the engine wont fire up while your finger is blocking the exhaust

wrong, it will fire up, it just wont last long.

with the roto start stick it in the engine, then attach the glow plug starter, start turning it over, and put your finger on the exhaust for 1 second intervals (like on off on off) until it starts. it stops the over priming.

Progress!!

I reset the engine to factory settings and then re-tuned it. Now it's running pretty well , much better than it was. it's got a tendency to stall after idling for 30s or so. But it's a little boggy on aceleration. Should I lean the LSN some more?

I think I'm going to get a primer too. Seems like a nice simple solution.

Thanks for the advice everyone, very helpful

i'd lean it a tiny bit, see if it improves and then go from there. is it such a problem that it stalls after 30 seconds? do you often not move it for that length of time?

some engines just dont like to idle for very long mate

Soooooo true, I have to keep revving my engine till the marshal gets close, then put I on the breaks for recovery. In this short time I pray it wont stall but 3 times out of ten it will cut out.