• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hello all can you help?

Mr Drifta

Hello all please can you help...

Bought one of these for my 4yr old boy to introduce him to rc-ing, i know its not the height of status/tec/fashion but better than mauling a £300+ one hey....

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.colchestera1models.co.uk/images/uploads/mav_neon_buggy.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.colchestera1models.co.uk/index.php%3Fact%3DviewProd%26productId%3D707&h=185&w=390&sz=15&tbnid=k8OvN7z05htnGM:&tbnh=65&tbnw=137&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmaverick%2Bneon%2Bxb%2Bpicture%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=maverick+neon+xb+picture&docid=2183ld9uAdYzcM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IVF8TtHvG8bO0QWm17n9Dw&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAw&dur=1275

But it wont start/fire....Believe needs plug/starter kit..

Anyone recommend a good one with say a status indicator if possible/exist??

Cheers all and we..(well me really as he doing my nut in as it wont run!!!)...hope you's can help.

nice little starter kit:

http://www.nitro-rc.co.uk/radio-controlled-model/Schumacher_Nitro_Starter_Set.html

And as for glow plugs you best nip to the nearest model shop and just see what they say OS plugs are good tho.

Assuming you have got fuel, a plug and a glow starter. Remove the plug and stick it in the glow starter, make sure it glows up nice and bright, if not its shot and the car will never start.

When a car is new the engine is set to run very rich in order for it to "run in" nicely. This stage of ownership can sometimes be a right pain and most people just give up and sell up or stick the car in the loft. When the car is rich it will often clog up with oil and stall, smoke like mad and generally be a pain to start and run. However after 5 or 6 tanks of slow running (or whatever the instructions recommend) you can start to lean the mixtures off and the car will become much happier to run.

In all honesty the best thing to do is take a look on google, youtube and forums about the subject. Once it in your head you soon become able to do it all second nature.

A inferred heat gun is recommended also to check the engine temperature when you start to tune it, I got this one off e bay and its great for just over a 10er:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Infrared-IR-Thermometer-Temperature-Laser-Gun-/300535306976?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item45f94cdae0

You need this as when you come to lean off the mixture the engine will run hotter, too lean and your engine will overheat and get damaged. I keep my engine around 180 degs but some run right up into the 200's.

Hope this helps.

it wont start / fire.... Was it brand new when you got it?

Cheers for your info fella appreciated :thumbsup:

No bought s/h but advertised as full working order...But ok might be the plug but if there was something dodgy with it why not just say in advert?

One dissapointed boy here...but not gonna start ranting till i've checked everything....

Edited by Mr Drifta

nice little starter kit:

http://www.nitro-rc....tarter_Set.html

And as for glow plugs you best nip to the nearest model shop and just see what they say OS plugs are good tho.

Assuming you have got fuel, a plug and a glow starter. Remove the plug and stick it in the glow starter, make sure it glows up nice and bright, if not its shot and the car will never start.

When a car is new the engine is set to run very rich in order for it to "run in" nicely. This stage of ownership can sometimes be a right pain and most people just give up and sell up or stick the car in the loft. When the car is rich it will often clog up with oil and stall, smoke like mad and generally be a pain to start and run. However after 5 or 6 tanks of slow running (or whatever the instructions recommend) you can start to lean the mixtures off and the car will become much happier to run.

In all honesty the best thing to do is take a look on google, youtube and forums about the subject. Once it in your head you soon become able to do it all second nature.

A inferred heat gun is recommended also to check the engine temperature when you start to tune it, I got this one off e bay and its great for just over a 10er:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item45f94cdae0

You need this as when you come to lean off the mixture the engine will run hotter, too lean and your engine will overheat and get damaged. I keep my engine around 180 degs but some run right up into the 200's.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely helpful cheers fella :thumbsup:

Fuel at carb and primes good no air...Pully good not loose/tight...Carb open 1-2mm when transmitter all on...No visable leaks...sounds like good compression...everything set to believed factory settings...

Only thing i can think of is the plug/charger...as been on charge 10+hrs in total, It did fire an run for 3secs then died and nothing since.

Gonna get a #4 plug and 16 fuel all being well today/tomorrow...I will be back :ph34r: ...

Bought one of these for my 4yr old boy

Course you did :whistling:

First part of fixing this situation is admitting to yourself that the car isn't really for the 4 year old :sweatdrop:

Sorry mate, i'm not up on nitro, but i'd suggest you start "Him", on an electric RC. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Course you did :whistling:

First part of fixing this situation is admitting to yourself that the car isn't really for the 4 year old :sweatdrop:

Sorry mate, i'm not up on nitro, but i'd suggest you start "Him", on an electric RC. :thumbsup:

I swear down its for him :alien3: .....

Was looking at brushless for him but i felt the nitro would allow us a broader playing field to go out and about too...

No mate, Run 20% fuel or 25%, not 16%

I find Byron Race gen 2 is a good fuel, but everyone has there faves.

My mate has a 1/12rc he messed about for hours/days trying to get it right he used quickfire 16% (or something) fuel.

I put One tank of my 25% Byron in it and it was running like a different car! :) problem solved.

They can be a pain just stick at it. I'm having problems with my Nitro as we speak, its a Kyosho GXR28se engine and they are well known to be a pain at the best of times.

One last thing, don't get crossed with the glow plug numbers, each manufacturer uses a different system, so a number 4 on one make can be a different grade to another make.

http://www.scootwork...c/gloplugs.html

Cheers.

Cheers for the above fella... appreciated :yes:

So 20% fuel...which size/type plugs best to run for the mav engine and to burn/run 20 best?

Cheers again fella,,jus wanna see me boy chuffed is all... :thumbsup:

oh its using an edit 3000 plug charger which feels oily...like its leaking!!???!

Edited by Mr Drifta

Sorry I don't understand you? The only reason a starter will be oily, is because its got oil on it???

What size is the engine? an .21?

if so on 20% I would go for a OS 8 (OS being the manufacturer) Its a medium plug.

Plugs don't change size or type, just the grade/heat that they run at. (Unless its a turbo head glow plug but you don't have to worry about them)

Any medium plug will prob be ok, get a few tho as you will probs kill a few whilst running in and tuning it up.

If your truly doing this for a 4 year old mate I would seriously think about getting a ready to run electric? Nitro takes up lots of time, you can spend equal time messing with them as you can actually driving them. Plus they can be quite dangerous with the heat etc. You will probs spend lots of time both being disappointed.

Plus they stink!! ha ha :)

This will do you proud:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=ansmann+rtr&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3821408789913331978&sa=X&ei=qo98ToRrwqvRBa23ueMP&ved=0CF8Q8wIwBA

But that's up to you!

Good luck mate.

Sorry I don't understand you? The only reason a starter will be oily, is because its got oil on it???

What size is the engine? an .21?

if so on 20% I would go for a OS 8 (OS being the manufacturer) Its a medium plug.

Plugs don't change size or type, just the grade/heat that they run at. (Unless its a turbo head glow plug but you don't have to worry about them)

Any medium plug will prob be ok, get a few tho as you will probs kill a few whilst running in and tuning it up.

If your truly doing this for a 4 year old mate I would seriously think about getting a ready to run electric? Nitro takes up lots of time, you can spend equal time messing with them as you can actually driving them. Plus they can be quite dangerous with the heat etc. You will probs spend lots of time both being disappointed.

Plus they stink!! ha ha :)

This will do you proud:

http://www.google.co...ved=0CF8Q8wIwBA

But that's up to you!

Good luck mate.

Cheers mate an dont worry he wont be fiddeling with it jus driving it while i hold the handset...just trying to get him interested/focused on something as he has an attention disorder but loves mecanics.

Been out bought a plug rench an alls good but the pull start wont pull with the plug in???

Worried/P****d now as if its a lemon then the vendor is gonna be unhappy to see me.

Been told engines dead if that happens????????????????????? Kinda regretting nitro at the mo.. :angrymad:

Hi

You may have flooded the engine, remove the plug and pull her over a few times to clear the engine. Give the plug a dab on the glow starter to burn off the excess fuel from that and stick it back in. now try to prime the engine, stick a finger over the exhaust stick the throttle open on the transmitter and pull her over up to 10 times ish, this will bring fuel up to the carb. Now stick the starter on and try her. Its more of a flick of the wrist rather than grunt.

Like I said new engines are a right pain.

They can take a real tug sometimes to get it moving mate, its the compression. Just give it a good pull.

You can pick up the weight of the car up (and some) with the pullstart due to compression of a good engine.

Also when your running in, tip the car on its side once in a while and poor out all the oil that will collect in the exhaust.

Hope this helps.

Hi

You may have flooded the engine, remove the plug and pull her over a few times to clear the engine. Give the plug a dab on the glow starter to burn off the excess fuel from that and stick it back in. now try to prime the engine, stick a finger over the exhaust stick the throttle open on the transmitter and pull her over up to 10 times ish, this will bring fuel up to the carb. Now stick the starter on and try her. Its more of a flick of the wrist rather than grunt.

Like I said new engines are a right pain.

They can take a real tug sometimes to get it moving mate, its the compression. Just give it a good pull.

You can pick up the weight of the car up (and some) with the pullstart due to compression of a good engine.

Also when your running in, tip the car on its side once in a while and poor out all the oil that will collect in the exhaust.

Hope this helps.

Your a top chap will go play now and report back bout 8pm 2night...Cheers again so much for your time/help :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And who ever told you that the engine dead is talking Sh@t ;)

Don't mess with the fuel adjustments yet, just keep it standard until at least 4 tanks. if in doubt put it back to factory settings, 1/8th of a turn can make a huge difference to the point of making the car not run/start.

Check the guides on this site forum.

And who ever told you that the engine dead is talking Sh@t ;)

Don't mess with the fuel adjustments yet, just keep it standard until at least 4 tanks. if in doubt put it back to factory settings, 1/8th of a turn can make a huge difference to the point of making the car not run/start.

Check the guides on this site forum.

Not the first time i've heard bout em but hey ho,,just incredibly patronising.

Well HaZzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaam she lives :hahadance: :hahadance: think my wrists a bit limp....

Kingscott your esp a gent fella as what you said esp was bang on!!,,...so heres a couple o didgi beers :guiness: :guiness: ...Your a gent and me boys chuffed :040:

Wont fiddle yet as she idling high an wheels are rotating so will try adjust that an thats it hopefully.....

Has a plug marked 3 but nowt else/and came fuel'd so dunno what juice she running but sounds crisp thus far...........

So A MASSIVE THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE ADVISED ME,Your gents and deserve a few digi brews too :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness:

I'll update 2moro if interested with a vid of the action....

And yes i do fancy one of them losi's or along them lines,,,,,