• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

a level results

adolf hamster

hey guys, gots ma a level results today. i got bcc, b in physics, 2 c's in maths and chemistry. kinda worried that there's a possibility i wont get into uni.

what results have you guys got? and what do you intend to do with them?

my first choice was abb [as i was getting that with my as modules, a in physice] for mechanical engineering msc

second choice was bsc mechanical engineering.

[btw i know there's a thread for this, but i cba ressurecting this]

when the time comes, those on gcse results post yours to!

you get 2 scores.

raw mark: thats what you got in the paper

ucas mark: kind of scaled. the way i understand it is say the lowest mark in the country for a given paper is 4 raw marks. well because he was the worst mark, he gets 0 ucas points.

but say the highest was 74/75 well he'd get 100 ucas points [or the max for whatever paper it is]. everyone in between gets the number of points relating to their rank in the whole uk. sort of like an average.

when it comes to ucas points then there's a set guideline for the grade, iirc 80%+ is a, 70-80 b and so on.

a*'s i think arewhen you get over 90% in your as, plus an a at a2.

Three D's :lol:

It's annoying, as I worked my arse off for the last modules, and got exactly the same marks as I did when I didn't give a crap back in AS in both Maths and Physics. In Music tech I got an A this year, but an E last year as I had a crap teacher, and it averaged out about 2 marks off a C :(

Oh well, I still got into uni. BSc Electronic & Electrical engineering at Plymouth, hoping to move up to the BEng at the end of the first year.

I think that the modules are silly. They make the final tests smaller, but they mean that you have to be awake for the whole year or two. Bad teacher and you're stuffed. I'm going into year 10 next year, it'll be interesting to see what this is all about. :confused:

I think that the modules are silly. They make the final tests smaller, but they mean that you have to be awake for the whole year or two. Bad teacher and you're stuffed. I'm going into year 10 next year, it'll be interesting to see what this is all about. :confused:

but it means if you mess it up, you can resit previous exams, its great re-sitting a unit 1 exam in your last year, it all seems to simple

I didn't know you could get A* at A-Level?

I got CCC a few years ago now (4!), still got me a career at the worlds largest pharmaceutical company though! Getting sponsored to do a degree in Chemistry atm, my last years starts this September! Only need to get 40% overall this year and I still get a first class honours! (Kicked ass last year and averaged 94% lol!)

Good luck to all you peeps starting uni this year and congrats on your great results!

I did poo :(

C in DT

C in Physics

E in Maths

E in Chemistry

Really annoyed about DT and Physics.

I got an A in the CW for DT, A's in all the mocks I did and a damn C in the exam, averaged with last years B I get C. I was expecting an A or B.

Physics as well, A's in all this years courseworks, but averaged out with last years coursework and field/particle pictures exam I did badly.

Maths, I was never that good at, but I wasn't expecting an E, I was getting A's in C1,2,3 and M1 papers doing practice papers, I got straight D's in all the exams :confused:

Chemistry I just suck at :P, dropped it after AS.

Not sure what to do now though, with an E in maths, no Uni will take me on for Mechanical Engineering so I either retake all my maths and physics exams which I really don't want to do.

OR

Get a job, look at apprenticships or trying to start some sort of business

C in DT

I got an A in the CW for DT, A's in all the mocks I did and a damn C in the exam, averaged with last years B I get C. I was expecting an A or B.

What board for DT? I was AQA.

My entire year was predicted A*s and we all got A*s in the mocks, with harder grade boundries than last year's exam. Then in the exam this year I was the only A*, and only by 2 UMS... Bit weird tbh. We all got full marks in the coursework too, they seem to have marked the exam pretty harshly.

but it means if you mess it up, you can resit previous exams, its great re-sitting a unit 1 exam in your last year, it all seems to simple

Yeah I suppose. There's good things and bad things about both systems, it's just the modules are more vulnerable to being damaged by other "variables." :whistling:

Yeah I suppose. There's good things and bad things about both systems, it's just the modules are more vulnerable to being damaged by other "variables." :whistling:

sorry mate, but thats bull turd. if it werent for modules, the maths exam i had to miss because of the swine flu i wouldnt have been able to resit at all.

also, as a side note, my uni is doing something slightly crazy. they've offered one of the courses i've applied for in clearing, but they havent told me wether or not i'm in, surely they have to go through their existing candidates before opening it to randomers?

Even at GCSE I found the module exams in Science and History much easier to revise for than the 'big' exams at the end of the year, especially maths. I got A's in all of the module exams I sat so no need to resit them, although some of friends did. If you cock up on a final exam though you're stuffed confused.gif If get a bad teacher tough **** really, it means you have to put some effort in yourself wink.gif

I suppose that it depends which way you look at it really. At my school we do iGCSEs for science and maths, and theyre modelled on the old O levels; so two big exams at the end of year 11. They actually really aren't hard, as they're designed to make it less about working towards exams and more about working towards understanding the subject. The big thing with modules is that it puts more pressure on teachers to stay ontop of everything for a few years, so you end up working towards the exams. Because some of the GSCSEs I'm doing at the moment are iGCSE and some aren't, you can see how my English teacher has to push us towards the next goal, whereas our science teachers just teach and make sure we understand everything.

I don't think there's one that's better than the other at the moment, it depends more on your own circumstances. :good:

I hope you like revision then laugh.gif There's a lot more stuff to cover for the iGCSE's and because the exams are at the end of year 11 you still have to have a good understanding of the stuff you covered at the start of year 10 or even at the end of year 9! Whereas with modules you can forget the stuff from the previous modules and focus all of your attention to the upcoming exam good.gif

I hope you like revision then laugh.gif There's a lot more stuff to cover for the iGCSE's and because the exams are at the end of year 11 you still have to have a good understanding of the stuff you covered at the start of year 10 or even at the end of year 9! Whereas with modules you can forget the stuff from the previous modules and focus all of your attention to the upcoming exam good.gif

Nobody likes revision. :lol:

But I'm good at chemistry and physics and pretty decent with biology, and very good at maths. So overall it shouldn't be bad for me, it's other people who don't listen who need to worry. :whistling: