• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Trophy Truggy Brakes

matthew619

hi people

i have a hpi trophy 4.6 and my brakes are terribly slow and sluggish how do i make them more responsive and stop the car from rolling for about 10 foot before stopping do i need better servo or just tighten something up ??

please help me out thanx matt

They need adjusting properly. They come very loose from the factory, would recommend taking the gearbox out and adjust the brake retaining screws ensuring not to go too tight that they drag, then set the servo rods nice and even is also worth upgrading the servo. I found even after adjustment mine were slow so fitted an updated servo. Would stop on a pin head after that. Very good brakes after a little adjustment. Also how old is your truggy? I managed to get hpi to change the servo as mine went weak after about 3 runs.

you ideally need a fast and torquey servo. allowing the brakes once set correctly to bite fast and strong. also have a look at fitting answer rc brake springs. they sit on the rods between the 2 pads putting constant pressure against the pads keeping them open, so the brakes dont drag, and stops them glazing

If I remember right I took the rear suspension unit out to free the centre shafts, took off the throttle/brake servo arm then released the gearbox/ centre diff. Wasn't much of a job to do and well worth it. It makes the truggy brakes awesome. With the updated servo too mine would lock all 4 under heavy braking!

Put a powerHD servo on the throttle/brakes, will make a huge difference! My Hyper went from being terrible on the brakes to being able to lock up if you were a little hard on the brakes! I'm just converting my hyper to electric, so selling the powerHD if your interested?

Yeah screw just need wing in a bit evenly to take some of the slack out of the pads. Make sure you leave about 1mm gap between pads and disc after ( 1mm with disc pushed against inner pad then measured on outer pad)

Sent you a message :)

Speed and torque are the important bits. You want lots of both for steering, throttle/brake speed is less important (a nitro engine can only respond so quickly!), but torque is critical for strong brakes.

you ideally need a fast and torquey servo. allowing the brakes once set correctly to bite fast and strong. also have a look at fitting answer rc brake springs. they sit on the rods between the 2 pads putting constant pressure against the pads keeping them open, so the brakes dont drag, and stops them glazing

I was thinking about putting springs on my D8's breaks. What am I looking for spring wise?

If I remember right I took the rear suspension unit out to free the centre shafts, took off the throttle/brake servo arm then released the gearbox/ centre diff. Wasn't much of a job to do and well worth it. It makes the truggy brakes awesome. With the updated servo too mine would lock all 4 under heavy braking!

hi did you mean you just removed the rear suspension unit out by removing the four screws from underneath?

Yeah and the pinch bolt holding the brace bar on. With the gearbox out you can get a decent screwdriver on the pad screws to adjust them as they are very tight.

I dound putting a hump pack in made a big difference aswell due to giving the servos more power,also fitted power hd servo and stops on its nose

I found putting a hump pack in made a big difference aswell due to giving the servos more power,also fitted power hd servo and stops on its nose