• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A bag full of stuff and no idea...!

jaarus

Hi All,

New to all of this, so please bear with me!

I have had a battery car for a number of years - a Tamiya Vanquish. I have never replaced anything (not even the now 'slick' looking, which were once very bobbly, tyres!!)

It has been really good fun on its occassional outings to parks etc, never missing a beat.

Just charge it up and go.

Thats is its only downside - battery packs only seem to last about 10 mins or so and whilst from memory, I have about 5 of them. I do recall it being a bit of a faff charging them all up and then, just when you start to get into it - all your batts have died :(

A few months back I noticed an advert on Freecycle for RC stuff and I though what the heck, its free, lets go and take a look - afterall there may be some batts in there.

To my surprise it was actually a sizeable lawnmower box full of stuff - gaffer taped up. All or nothing the guy said as he was having a massive clearout of the garage. So I took the box - very exciting.

When I got home the box revealed its contents. Two cars, 2 controllers, chargers and some objects I didnt recognise.

WOOHOO I thought!! As one of the cars has an engine.

Now I have no clue about this but I believe (using Google) that its a nitro car and that one of the unknown objects is a 12v electric starter.

Aside from that minimal progress (!!) I have no idea how to proceed.

Can anyone direct me to where I can find the most rudementary guide to first start up of a second-hand car?

Tests I should do etc - I have no cash at all (in massess of debt, so seriously, cant spend anything on it) but there are loads of bits at the bottom of the bag including 'glo plugs' and hoses etc

Many thanks

Jaarus

get some pictures up on here of all the stuff, and we will have a gander and advise you about what you have and what you may need to get it going. Have a read through the stickies at the top of the nitro thread also, as this will give you an idea about it all! sounds like you may have a good find there....wish someone would give me a box of RC stuff!

th_456.jpg

th_459.jpg

th_460.jpg

th_461.jpg

th_463.jpg

th_464.jpg

th_466.jpg

th_467.jpg

th_468.jpg

th_469.jpg

th_470.jpg

th_471.jpg

th_472.jpg

th_473.jpg

th_474.jpg

th_475.jpg

th_476.jpg

th_477.jpg

Fingers crossed that that worked!!

All needs a ruddy good clean with some carb cleaner etc and not sure if the flywheek is supposed to move...but it doesnt - at all.

Tried to photograph anything that may help you guys in figuring out what I have (I havent a clue!)

The engine simply says OS Max on it - but cant see a model number anywhere...?

Oh and whilst I am thinking about it - it doesnt seem to have a glow plug igniter which I believe I will need. That is unless the 'Jester Glow Plug Supply' is one?

Seems to be flat but inside the box, its a sealed rechargable battery and the unit has two cables - One with two small clips for + and - and another with an attachment that fits the glowplug so that would lead me to think that this is a starter of some description.

The big bottle of nitro fuel is still full and states it as 5% nitro on the label. Thought it would be more like 20-30%?

Damn I wish I knew what I was doing - still exciting though. Cant stop rummaging through this box even though I have now found all there is to find lol.

One bad thing is that the radio link between controller and car seems to only work when theya really close, as in under a foot from each other (didnt notice initially) - I assume that this is simply a cable somewhere that may need replacing?

I have the rest of it as well, headlamps etc - only negative I can see is that the front wheel has broken off (I have it, it just needs reattaching) but like a magpie of 'new things' I was drawn instantly to the much bigger one with an engine!

Hahaha

I tried looking at the OS site for which engine it is - using a link from this site, taking me to all engines they have made - no idea as they all look the same and the only markings I can find say 2607 and 2601 ??

Edited by jaarus

Decided to take the engine off to get a better look and clean it up a bit - the engine has a 3rd mark I hadnt seen previously - 21

I know I should have probably photographed it but forgot and its all bagged up again now (doh) but is that likely to mean its 0.21 engine (whatever that actually means hahaha!!)