• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Seized Engine

harjun

Hi guys, wandering if you could help me out here

Was driving the car and the engine stopped

checked it, and i try pull the pullstarter and it doesn't budge, i try spin the flywheel and it doesn't spin. The clutch isn't jammed as the wheels all still spin.

I've taken the glowplug out and tried to turn it over, but no luck.

It is a HPI F4.6 which comes in the trophy 4.6, its only about 3 weeks old and its on its ~6 tank.

Any ideas on how to free it up so i can start it again, or shall i claim it under HPI 2 year warranty (anyone have any idea on how to claim for this?)

Thanks

Take the engine out and take the back plate off it. You may have been running too lean but i had mine for about 2 gallons when the conrod snapped. I phoned HPI and sent the engine away on a monday morning. Had a new one on the wednesday morning

when that happened to me it was the piston liner that had shattered , but which ever of the 2 things it is, you will be able to see the damage when the backplate is removed

Edited by dazj10

check theres no stones caught between the chassis and flywheel as that can give the impresion that its siezed as they can jam in really tight if no stone caught then follow above recomendations

Thanks for the rapid replys guys

Will take the backplate off and let you guys know.

If Conroe has snapped, would you be able to supply me with HPi's phone number so I can call them tomorrow IF it is the Conrod which has snapped

Cheers a lot guys

There was a stone stuck in between the flywheel and the chassis!! All work fine now :D

thats 1st thing i look for when it stops and pullstart wont turn it over , its quite common with a lot of cars as well

There was a stone stuck in between the flywheel and the chassis!! All work fine now :D

Same thing happened to my mates truggy last week , thought his engine had seized but on inpection found a stone jammed between the flywheel and chassis , lucky as that could easily snap a con rod.

I'm planning on making a thin metal plate to cover these holes on the chassis as I run alot on a Stoney gravel surface, no good if you use a starter box though.