• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Upgrading to a Sts .28 For my Sav

nizmo

HEy all,

Ok

Ive decieded that i would like to try a more powerfull engine for my sav, and ive seen the sts .28

the engine seems to be very good for the price from what people have said

what are the Most NEEDED upgrades that i would need for my sav to handle this engine,

i know that the 3 speed gearbox is needed and also Hd dogbones, then i also know that i need a werks or mugan clutch and a vented clutch bell. but what else is needed ?

also has anyone else here used this engine ? i have asking on the savage central forums but didnt get much of a responce so i thought i would try here

Cheers

Nizmo

you dont NEED to have a heavy duty drive terian, but saves you replacing things later on. still runs fine with standard stuff.

one thing u need to make sure you do is run a minimum of 18/47 on that engine. the low end is stupid. even with an 18tooth bell it wheelies extreemly easy, if u can look into a 19 tooth bell

so then i can just slap the engine in and go, as long as i have the gearing thats mentioned, what about the gearbox, ive read that it will chew it up in no time,

i prefebly dont want to mess anything up before buying the strong stuff as i want it for spares

you HAVE to run the spider diff mod. the stock 2 bevels in the diff will just colapse on first run

is this the right stuff to purchase ?

http://www.jespares.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=659

also how much would you want for the hd doggies ? or will the stock still work fine , or would they start to twist ?

i would only get the money for em around the 24th this month as its me b day !

also would i need diff cups ?

you can use stocks if you want. i have moved back to my old stocks after bending every single heavy duty one i had.

the thing you linked me to is it. as said, need alloy cups. if your on a budget, go for the 3 racing ones, theres are more than fine for any use. only need nova ones to say that you have nova cups tbh.

remember youl need two of the above, one for the front, one for the back.

chepaest place for an sts, ebay.

is this the diff cups your talking about ?

http://www.jespares.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=733

and would i need these all round , 4 of em ? and possibly in the wheels ? not sure what they called

http://www.jespares.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=776

also madmanluke, do i need a 3 speed clutch or are the stock 2 speeds fine ?

stock two speed is more than fine.

yep those are the diff cups. 2 of those, and two of those 4 bevel convertions from hpi. thats it you sorted.

erm, at some point it would be an idea on upgrading the cups. no idea on the sizes. thier all different. ones for diff in, diffs out, speed box out etc etc

ah now i get it all , i was a bit confuzzed, you got me sorted, thanks for ya help, could you help me with what clutch kit would be great for the sts,

the shoes, springs , the whole lot

cheers

so then i can just slap the engine in and go, as long as i have the gearing thats mentioned, what about the gearbox, ive read that it will chew it up in no time,

i prefebly dont want to mess anything up before buying the strong stuff as i want it for spares

Same with everything, you drive it like a loony and use the throttle as an on/off switch, then somethings got to give :lol: