• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Carls Merv

carlcurtis83

Hey guys,

Well I got myself a merv yesterday (cheers nosense). Has been pretty much upgraded with the essentials RPM arms, castor blocks and bumpers, has the traxxas cvds and turnbuckles. Most importantly though it has got the tenbol motor mount and a Traxxas Velineon 540 motor :D

Now I'm kind of new to the mini/micro game (had a sportwerks chaos and a micro t) but the merv is completely new to me.

Is the any advice on things I need to do? I have bought THIS esc for it, I'm guessing it's ok to be used with the motor and the 2s-3s lipos I have, lipos are 1800 2s 20c and 1500 3s 20.

However I bought the ESC a few days ago from hobbyking but it's still showing as pending so I'm looking at getting THIS for it though so I can get it up and running asap. Is it sutiable for my needs or am I going to need the 60a one instead.

Here's a few pics of it anyway:

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

And with the rest

IMG_3565.jpg

Info on the above would be good, thanks for looking.

that thing flies mate, i've seen it first hand, nice sticker on the roof too whistling.gif

Yeah Patrick said it was pretty mental, watched a few vids and I can't wait to get it going.

Thought the sticker was one of your, which leads me to a question....you still spraying the shells? May want one doing soon.

personally id want the 60 amp version, but im pretty sure the 35 will do

Gone for the 60a version only

Is it true you need to solder the fan or something to run 3s? Also does it need a UBEC? Been reading around and some say yes others say no :confused:

Just remove the fan wires form the ESC and power it from the 3rd channel, it's always getting 5v then, you've probably got a spare servo plug to fit to the wires.

I've never used a UBEC with them.

:good:

Cool, will send you a pm once the shell has arrived and I have sorted out a theme.

On another note, what weight shock oil are you guys running? I have just re-done all mine with 45wt it's stiffened things up a little but not enough for me.

Unsure on the KV I know it's the Velineon motor from the rustler, so I think that would be a 3500kv but unsure.

The gearing I'm unsure about, I only put it together to throw some pics up, I will worry about the pinion when I get the ESC and get to running it.

It lives!!!!

Got my esc this afternoon, just finished wiring it all up and gave it a quick test in the living room...wasn't a good idea. I now have to scrub the tyre marks off the new laminate flooring :(:lol:

Not got time to test as the beer is calling, so will get pics and possibly a video tomorrow.

Edited by carlcurtis83

Finally got this sorted bar the gearing.

My Turnigy Trackstar 60a esc arrived this morning so I pulled out the ez-run one as it stuck out way too much over the chassis for my liking. Anyway got everything wired in and then attached to the chassis, this thing flies, not quite doing standing backflips but I do need to calibrate everything and get things setup for it.

e9ce1ad0.jpg

e56c8411.jpg

667ed80b.jpg

Next step is look at the gearing, everything is running pretty cool, so gonna up the gearing to 31/50 and see how that goes. Actually need to see what spur is on it 'cos I don't actually know :rolleyes::lol:

Looking good Carl :good: .I took mine down the garden yesterday for the first time in ages and i had forgotten how much fun the MERV is :) .I bolted my mini hyper wheels and tyres on it and it gripped so much better than the stock tyres :good: .

• 3 weeks later...

I would up the gearing more, im running a 40p 50s and its still keeps cool without a fan.

Went for that advice and got one bought from modelsport. I had a 55 spur on it so I also changed that and went for the 50. Got them all fitted up and was going to go for a run but realised the wires were looking rather exposed, so got to shortening them only for my soldering iron to die on me halfway through :(

Now waiting on a new iron before I can finish it off and give it a test.

• 3 weeks later...

Carl's Merv is now fraggs Merv, cheers Carl I will give it a good home have already ordered a few bits for it to make it a bit stronger (after a post lept out infront of it and snapped the chassis :whistling: ) , chassis braces front and rear along with alloy shocks a new shell and a few other bits.

I will put a pic up when i get it all sorted.