• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My NQD jet boat modding thread

aidensere07

so iv decided im gunna use the hull to make a fibreglass copy and. wish i could somehow make the hull a tad bigger so i can run a bigger drive.

ooooh make fibre shells or maybe even a mini vac to form polycarb hulls. if they a decent price i would be interested in purchasing a hand made hull copy, you could make some decent money selling to other hobby'ists , you will need to slightly change the hull or topdec so you dont get hammered for copyright infringments.

bigger hull :

once you have made a fibre copy, you could biuld it up a few layers extra making the boat slightly bigger, more layers the more bigger hull becomes

im thinking that polycarb has to have a perfect mould to apply over. the hull is abs plastic as stock so might use that as its more forgiving. thing with fibre is cost also and its not as flexible so may crack. a mini vac iv thought about before perfect for this project

Well ,I installed the motor to the drive and when I started it up the vibration was unbelivable! I think there is a buckle in the prop.Anyway,after trying to straighten it the coupler on the shaft has knackered too(de--threaded it ) so I need a new one,2.25mm ID if anyone has one.

Cheers J.

sorry about the delay mate, my broadband goes live on tuesday. when you ran it did you make sure the strator was in place, the black plastic bit that goes on the back of the boat, as this holds a bushing that holds the prop shaft dead centre. im wondering if thats your problem. the couplers are available to buy mate >>HERE<< but its from hong kong so its going to be something you'll have to wait on.

Well ,I bit the bullet and bought the Graupner drive .It has a 3mm OD shaft as oppose to a 2.3mm

Picture740.jpg

The construction is alot better but there are no mounting holes to fit it to so I'll have to make brackets.

Picture743.jpg

Instructions are great too,just simple to understand.

Picture744.jpg

It also has a reverse module as well.

Picture742-1.jpg

Picture741.jpg

This will take a bit to think about as it is lowered into the water but has got to be linked up to the reverse on the ESC somehow.

J.

well. i am not sure.

maybe add a servo inline to esc and program to react to voltage when reverse kicks on.

better idea:

have a small micro servo bedded to the rear hull. connect this to the thierd chanel on a triger type handset, now when reverse is required one shuts down throttle a little engages third chanel via switch. this throws the nozzle hood down and acts as the reverse thruster. the motor still turns the same direction to push boat but the nozzle redirects water flow and hence boat travels backwards.

i do think most would be using the third chanel method or hardwiring the esc channeling to a servo.

the third channel method would be more safe to, one thing you do not want is that impeller being thrown into reverse at high speeds, possible it will shatter/fragment and blow the new drive. so a third channel requires thought and means no mistakes and throwing the impeller into reverse rotation from a 6,000rpm+ forward rotation

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

as tamcowboy said, reverse has to be done by a servo on 3rd channel. If you ran the impeller backwards it would suck air as you reverse the water flow and the jet outlet is mostly out of the water. That drive sure does look nice, you can easily get replacements for it also.

i wouldnt think it would be easily possible with a 2ch tx/rx mate. id just take it off, who needs reverse anyway :rofl:

im considering one of these drives as well now after seeing that, ill hold off until youve got it in the boat for now, keep us updated mate :good:

• 2 weeks later...

As a thought....I have a spare 'reverse mixer' from a Savage reverse kit. This allows the servo on the reverse module to be engaged by a 2channel RX. Basically, after it has been pulled as a 'brake' it then activates the servo and then works as revers on the brake. The motor, of course, still runs forward. Might be possible to use somethign like that to operate the servo and then continue to drive the motor. Use a Y-lead to hook up the reverse mixer and servo

Been reading this thread again, and have been following it carefully...and I reckon this is just what I need to give me options in teh world of RC. I thought about a tank....but they are too slow to be interesting for long as I don't have access to enough interesting terrain. What I do have is a couple of boating ponds not too far away......so one of these might just b the perfect Christmas gift for me :) ..... from me!

So...I have started to collect the parts I will need. So far I have:

1 x Traxxas waterproof servo for the steering. Proof agoinst those little splash problems...

1 27Mhz RX/TX combo. Nice and cheap to buy used, as I intend to plasti-dip the RX so it is waterproof. Not going to do the to a Spektrum SR300......

Just need to get the boat, motor/esc and battery now! What gear would you recommend to get decent performance? I presume a boat ESC is better to go for, as they are less likely to suffer from the moisture etc. Don't want to spend a fortune...but do want to have something that will be fast enough to be FUN!

I am thinking of something like this ESC ... http://www.hobbyking...?idProduct=7377

2S LiPo

but am not sure what motor to put with it

Hi mate,

that esc is also available from the uk from giantcod here. as for the motor id go for a 2040 inrunner with a waterjacket, if you go 2s you want a motor around 4000-5000kv to get roughly 30k Rpm out of the impeller which is pretty much its limit

I used this agin from giantcod with a waterjacket from ebay to keep things cool.

you'll end up with a boat pretty similar to mine with that setup, yours will use a better esc and its watercooled so thats a bonus. :good:

Aiden

• 5 months later...

you guys still running these jet boats with jet drives. i need some data and thought maybe you guys can help

inlet duct size : ?

outlet duct size ?

impeller size ?

thrust in KG : this is fairly easy place a set of scales infront of boat. set to kg and 0 then throttle up keeping the boats nose on the scales. take 2 readings on the thrust produced one at full power and one after 30 seconds still at full power in kg's. if no register on kilograms could you give me them in grams.

boats stock weight inc batterys

i have an idea of fitting one/two of these drives into a 1/24th scale wooden narrowboat

thank you guys

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got a Tear into Jet boat, and wondered if anyone could recommend cheap and cheerfully easy mods to get more outta it? I don't need to go mad, but any advice about mild mods would be great! I don't fully understand some of the technical stuff, so if you can let me have links for buying the bits, i can try and research the stuff!

Same sorta question, but whats the 'must do mod 'straight outta the box with these boats?

Thanks!:P

• 1 month later...

I've just ordered one of these and will run a turnigy 2836 - 3200Kv outrunner with a 50amp ESC and 3 cell 2200mah batteries. I will use no watercooling at all as I think it won't need it (fingers crossed) but I'll take some amp readings in the bath to double check. Should be fun!

Same set up as this one: